where's JJ?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by erebh, Mar 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Who's up for a game of rock, paper, scissors, Spock, squirrel, wolf?

2. Fitzroy Zeph

Fitzroy Zeph Contributor Contributor

Ed, I've been caught up in the debate room more than once. I have mixed feelings about it. In the end, I find I form opinions of people, not on their writing prowess but on their beliefs, which, if I'm trying to improve my writing isn't the best approach. Occasionally I see a topic that catches my eye: I go in swinging, throw a few bottles and quickly leave.

jazzabel likes this.
  3. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

Seriously JJ? Come on, the world's smallest violins are playing, just for you. I can't believe you 'apologised' only to continue pretending that you 'didn't mean it like that' and next thing you know, you are a victim of some unfairness. JJ, you have racist views. Own up to it and promise to work on changing. What you said isn't repentance or a genuine apology and I am sure that given time, you'll grace us with another one of your antisocial opinions.

erebh and Fitzroy Zeph like this.
  4. Garball

Garball Banned Contributor

Hating the hateful is still hateful. One of the rules in our justice system is that you can't prove intent. I, myself, did not see what @JJ_Maxx (aka @Archias) wrote and I trust @Wreybies to do what is best for the boards, but if this is just going to be a thread about dogging a previous member (any member), well, that's just cowardly and low.

5. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Wow, a fellah can't even go for a run! :rolleyes:

I think every one has said what they need to say in this thread, including those who were not invited. For that reason, let us all move on to something else, yes?

Lemex, KaTrian, minstrel and 3 others like this.
  6. Wreybies

I just want to point out to everyone that member Archias was not actually helping JJ. When I checked the registration, verification and content IP's, they are the same as JJ's. It was a sock-puppet account he's been using since September of last year.

7. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Kind of. It's just something some people have done on one forum, so unless you've been on that forum, it's not quite as funny.

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Any site that would chooss a mod that way would deserve what they get.

And the mod that "won" such a position would deserve the burden,

9. Lewdog

The smart one would be the one that just poisons the gatorade.

10. We Are Cartographers

We Are Cartographers Active Member

I've been banned lots of times. Good for him.

11. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

He shoulda stuck to writing for the short story contest. He was good at that.

Wreybies and jazzabel like this.
  12. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Writing is not just a technical skill. The fact that someone on the forum gets banned for expressing a view that is not acceptable in our society saddens and frustrates me. Not that someone got banned for breaking a rule, or that they wrote something unacceptable, but that a whole community of writers would rather silence a person with a controversial opinion rather than learn from him. Writers are meant to understand characters, and to express views that the writer may totally object to. The success of believable characters is to truly understand their motivation, and what better way than to discuss, not argue, a persons opinion. There will always be people with ideas and opinions we personally do not agree with, but as writers they should fascinate and intrigue us. To understand them is to know how to write them, and to understand is NOT to agree. Too many people here jump ahead and tell others with opinions that are not acceptable to change their tune or tell them they are wrong, rather than to listen and understand why such people have these opinions in the first place in order to develop characters that may not be like yourself. It's a shame people worry more about being offended than learning why people behave and think in various and particular ways. It is a sad and frustrating reflection of the closed nature that many and most writers have. Your characters are going to be fucking dull.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
    erebh and Garball like this.
  13. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Actually, in general, I agree with you, although I have no idea what was actually said that caused the ban.

As far as I'm concerned, I can't stand racism, sexism or any of these kinds of things. But as long as a person abides by the rules of online courtesy and doesn't start name-calling or attacking any forum member, I support their right to free speech, and to express any view on general discussion threads.

I totally disagreed with most of JJ's opinions, so I'm not defending his stance in any way. And he very well may have crossed a line regarding how he expressed his views—again, I didn't see the offending post. But I do think it's the thin end of a wedge, to start banning people because of WHAT they believe. If that's what happened.

Like you, @Selbbin, I think it's instructive to hear how people who take a polar-opposite point of view actually construct their arguments. And, like you, I believe this can be a fertile mine of information when it comes to creating characters.

I think we could be on a slippery slope, if we start shutting people down because of what they think and believe, even if these beliefs are abhorrent to the majority. I think their ideas need to see the air, every now and again. Just so 'we' know they're out there, and so they can get yanked up short and forced to defend what are essentially indefensible views. You never know what might take root.

I do tend to trust 'our' mods, though. They seem to tolerate a lot, before whacking down a ban. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
    Macaberz likes this.
  14. Selbbin

I trust the mods and fully support their decision, regardless of my liking of JJ. What saddens me has been the way that most members of this site, from the moment I joined, try to defend their own beliefs and the moral high ground rather than understand others (and strangely sometimes both parties take the moral high ground, which shows how subjective morality really is). They are interested in educating someone or winning an argument, rather than learning about people. And that's instinctive. They don't want to learn.

I also totally disagree with many and most of the viewpoints JJ held, but I always respected that at least he stood up for what he personally believed, and understanding why he believed it was fascinating. We can either silence people with differing opinions because we don't want to hear them, or let them speak and understand what the root cause of the problem may be. And, as I said, give ourselves the ability to write more interesting characters.

15. Wreybies

@Selbbin: I'm glad you expanded your previously expressed thought, because I also actually agree with that, though I know this situation may paint in the minds of others that I don't.

Had the banning happened solely on the grounds of an unpopular, marginal or unacceptable point of view or opinion, had that been my driving impetus, logic dictates I would have banned him long ago because opportunities answering to the aforementioned were never lacking. That was not the case. Nor is it the case that his banning occurred for this one post, which seems to be the thought that's jelling.

This one post was the last post in a string of increasingly aggressive behaviors that are part of a storied pattern of behavior that creates more friction in the forum than benefit. During the course of this matter - which I knew full well was going to raise a small storm in and of itself - it came to light that he was also using multiple accounts (other than his wife's account), an offense that by itself warrants banning.

A structure like a forum does not function in complete anarchy. Many of us in this forum are and were members of our .com sister site when they learned that lesson at the hands of Lin Robinson, a member who was allowed to distract that site away from its purpose and venue, divide the forum into camps and destroy it from the inside because of moderation policy that was set to "take action only in case of arson or murder". If you go to that site today, their logo is a phoenix, very representative of what they have gone through and rebuilt at great cost.

16. Selbbin

Which is why it was the right decision. Don't get me wrong, we need guidelines and we need moderation. This is a community. I'm just frustrated by how lots of people react to controversy, not this ban in particular. A venting on my part, if you like.

17. Michael Collins

Michael Collins Senior Member

Not to mention that many people like to express their views just because they know it's going to damage someone else, so while I believe that on any forum (and a writers' forum most of all) freedom of speech is sacred, one must be able to distinguish what is said to express a point of view, and what is said to hurt.

It's not about what we say, but how we say it.

(I don't know what JJ said, and frankly I don't care. I'm just posting my point of view relating to the matter at hand.)

18. Wreybies

No, I hear you, man. You brought up an important point, and again, one which I agree with, so I just wanted to respond. ;)

Simpson17866 and jannert like this.
  19. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

But the wolf would beat everything. There would be no contest. There is a reason you never saw Spock in a small room with a wolf, what would be the point? ;)

20. Lewdog

Wolf chews up paper, chokes on rock, gets stabbed in the neck with scissors, gets the Vulcan death grip from Spock, and dies on an ACME rocket he bought trying to catch the squirrel.

Lemex likes this.
  21. Macaberz

Macaberz Pay it forward Contributor

Note how the abbreviation for Mod Appreciation Day is MAD. :D

22. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I can hardly wait for The Squirrel to see this...

minstrel and Lemex like this.
  23. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Most mods, both current and former, are, so it works! :p

The squirrel knows I love him, so it's ok. :)

minstrel likes this.
  24. Wreybies

I like you more and more every day, L'il Dutch Man. ;)

25. Lewdog

Squirrel bites Spock in the jugular vein, he gets hit by car chasing paper being blown by the wind across the road (Thanks Wreybies), he chokes on rock he thinks is an acorn, gets eaten by wolf, and gets taxodermied by red neck with scissors.

26. Macaberz

Macaberz Pay it forward Contributor

Good thing I am a bird.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.