Why are the women usually the victims in horror?

Discussion in 'Horror' started by Link the Writer, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

Cherry Falls is pretty much what your looking for as far as this part goes. The whole idea is that some killer is going around killing the Virgins. Cant remember if it was any good. Been awhile since I seen it. I think overall most people didnt like it but for me, well Im a sucker for such movies. lol

2. Berenice

Berenice New Member

:D

Err... most definitely no. I take it that is an excuse for the male prot to now deflower every virgin in sight or some such thing?

So not, because it again makes a topic out of something which is a neglectable physical state. I state the above about wanting a "slut" or "sluts" to survive precisely because I dislike the message that only virginal/clean girls are valuable enough to stay alive. What you suggest again puts virginity on the plate, much with the same intent, as in "I will lose it only because I'm forced to have sex to survive" and not because the women enjoy having sex.

The male virgin in Wicker Man I found acceptable solely because of the clearcut Christian connotations as a sacrificial offering, not because I attach any value to the state. In general I prefer sex-positive messages, and that usually means to me that the women enjoy it as much as the guys and as often.

3. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

Well I was only suggesting because the Virgins are the targets. :p Also the main character was female... which I dunno if that makes it better or worse. I dunno I didnt actually readthe full post. Its like 3-4am atm and im bored/tired.

Though I have to be honest. I was incredibly thick skulled. To behonest I have never once noticed that particular message. I have always assumed, as far back as I knew what sex was, that women loved it just as much if not more then men. So any sort of sexist/whatever message about that was just ignored altogether. Unless its the basis of some joke on a sitcom. Because it never gets old watching Peggy beg Al for sex. Usually the other way around in other sitcoms. OK beg might have been an exaggeration in most cases.

Ok im done typing on this for now. To tired.

But it has been a eye opening read. Hmm... its just so odd.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

in addition to all of the above, it's because women are most frequently the victims of horrific crime in real life!

and 'art' [to use the term loosely!] mirrors life...

5. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Yes, the stereotypical premise underlying the OP's post doesn't really hold true in the genre these days. The question posed relies on a faulty premise.

6. TheWritingWriter

TheWritingWriter New Member

There are plenty of horror movies that torment men. Trick 'r Treat. Saw. Hellraiser. But I suppose that, in the movie that do focus mostly on tormenting women, it does have to do with the age group, like someone said. The main percentage of the viewers are males from ages 17 to 21. I think it might also have to do with the psychological aspect. You're going to feel sorry for a young, defenseless woman way faster than a big, beefy male running for his life in tears, also it makes the bad guy seem more monstrous, if he can kill someone so defenseless with such little conscience.

7. daydreams

daydreams Member

Both boys and girls, men and women, were killed rather indiscriminately in movies/movie series like Halloween (Jamie Lee Curtis's character survives), Friday the 13th (the one survivor was a girl), Nightmare on Elm Street (Nancy saves the day). And regarding who is a mindless bimbo, I think we get to see both female and male characters doing the wrong thing or acting stupid or helpless. The Descent is a favourite of mine, and it's about a bunch of friends, all girls, who find themselves trapped in a cave. So there you have all the victims female but really none of them are particularly stereotypically bimboish. On the contrary, I would say. The Scream series is another example. Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Hermione Granger from Harry Potter is anything but a weak victim. But I think it becomes more common the further back in time you go?

8. Aeschylus

Aeschylus Member

While they're definitely outside the mainstream, take a look at the series Marble Hornets. It's a YouTube horror series, in a style similar to the Blair Witch Project/Paranormal Activity but broken into short segments online. It's just brilliant, and really gets inside your head..... and almost all the characters are male. Of course the whole point is that it's supposed to seem like it's really happening (in other words, NOT like a movie) but still. There are a few series like it (even the same subject), the best of which is Tribe Twelve.

9. Cacian

Cacian Banned

Interesting question.
    It is in the same breath why is the Bible all about men. God is a man (apparently) and Jesus is a man, and all his disciples are men too.?
    Well it is wether we like it a steretoype that is still carried on up to this day.
    In the same idea that all main characters in films and books are all couples of man and a woman.
    I have yet to see a film or read a book where the main characters are gay or cross gender for example.

10. Prophetsnake

Prophetsnake New Member

What, not even the one you got your icon from?

Meow

11. Cacian

Cacian Banned

Hehe.....LOl...but that is very differen.:p
    That is a man dressed as woman. That is very different.
    That is what I call a Perfect Person. A man intouch with his feminine side.:D

12. Prophetsnake

Prophetsnake New Member

Anyhow, to answer the original question, there are a couple of reasons why some sweet young (real) girl is generally the vicitm in horror. for one, it's the same reason that serial killers often go after young women if the objectof their campaign is to shock society. Young girls are valuable. We place a higher value on them for a variety of reasons, the most important of which is that they're essential for the continuance of the species. I know, so are guys, but young guys are cheap and plentiful, and you can make lots of babies with just one, whereas you need lots of women of breeding age if you want a larger next generation. So losing a girl is always more shocking for this one essential reason. I'm at a loss to explain their throwaway status in many culutres, though. India, for example. Anyhow in western culture, it is the case that they are given extra points.
    The big reason that sex is used is this: Sex opens your brain. It removes defences. It's primal and when arousal occurs an author has access to a lot more buttons at your control centre. It doesn't neccessarily have to be a young girl being threatened to do this; it can be something far more subliminal. For example, the first Aliens film. The sequence when they are in the alien spaceship near the beginning was obviously intended to represent a vagina. Well it is if you are in my brain, anyhow. Seriously thogh, it was. In fact, the whole scene was laden with subliminal sexual images. Once they have gotten into your head like that, they have you. Hitchcock knew this very well and has spoken at length about it. He used a lot of sex, but the most vivid is the shower scene in Psycho.
    Our programming is deep rooted. There is a fear that many men have known as Vagina Dentata or toothed vagina. It's supposed to be an expression of the emasculating capability many women have over men. Anyhows... the producers of the film Jaws originally produced a poster that had a wide open shark's mouth coming head on at the viewer. This was considered to be too intense for the male theatre going public due to the previously mentioned phenomenon, so they went for the girl swimming above the rising shark instead. That image makes an entirely different set of suggestions, of course, but it tittilates men, rather than scare the bejesus out of them.

13. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

... That's not a man in touch with his feminine side. That's an actor playing the part of a man who's in touch with his feminine side.

14. Cacian

Cacian Banned

It does not matter.
    He enjoyed doing and it suited him.
    It takes charisma and charms to dress up and be cool about it.
    I do admire men who can do both without guily or paranoid .

15. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

there are many such books [e.g., 'the hotel new hampshire' and 'giovanni's room' etc.]... same goes for movies [e.g., 'philadelphia' and brokeback mountain' etc.]...

you need to expand your reading and viewing horizons, c...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LGBT_characters_in_modern_written_fiction
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LGBT_characters_in_film,_radio,_and_TV_fiction

...fyi, cross-dressers are usually [or at least often] 'gay' or 'cross-gender'...

16. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

One of the best movies ever:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115685/

17. Jhunter

Agree.

18. seelifein69

seelifein69 Active Member

OH yeah. Birdcage RULES

19. Cacian

Cacian Banned

I have seen the film and I do love it.
    The only issue Ihave with is this:
    Being gay is one thing,
    Being a cross dresser is another.
    Gay and a cross dressers are two very different concepts.
    To put them together under the same roof is confusing the issues.
    I did question the title too,
    Bird and cage it is almost suggestive if something else.
    But yes great movie all the same because of the actors and it was funny.

20. Cacian

Cacian Banned

[
    '
    Ihave to disagree on this.
    Gay is very different to a cross gender totally.
    Two very different things.

21. Jhunter

So you have seen a film with a main character being gay or a cross dresser. Seeing as both the main characters in this movie are gay and one is a cross dresser.

22. Jhunter

Not really. Every cross dresser I have ever known has been gay (I have met a lot in LA). Also, she said, "often," which implies she knows it is not always the case (and I agree it in not always the case). But it is more common than not.

23. Cacian

Cacian Banned

Not if you think that the reason why they are crossdressers because initially and ultimately their mental /they think they are woman.
    Hence the reason why they dress like a woman which leads me to say they are not gay, but they are a woman that go with a man.
    That is the definition of a cross dresser.
    A gay man fancies and wants to be with another man not a woman or someone dressed like a woman.
    There is a very fine line there.

24. Jhunter

This is probably a horrendously offensive statement to a lot of people.

I do not agree that cross dressers and gay people are crazy.

25. Cacian

Cacian Banned

I am sorry to say that you do not anyhting about the subject
    Unless you are one you are not to speak about it and call it crazy.
    There is nothing offensive about what I said.
    Yet again you speak as if you know it all.