Why Do You Write?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Raven, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Keth Andril

Keth Andril New Member

What compells you to write?
    Why do you write?
    What makes you write what you write?
    What Made you decide you liked to write?
    What Do You Write?

1. I often find myself thinking in words, so I write them down. Its not so much a compulsion as a way for me to think more clearly.

2. Writing, with the right words, is the most expressive of all art forms. I'm a professional musician and an art major and I still find that I can express everything better through writing.

3. Often times, its a very vivid dream I had. Other times its just a story that I play through over and over in my head until I finally write it down.

4. I took a few writing classes in high school and received a few awards for my writings (including some publications). This was when I started realizing that I couldn't go for more than a few days without writing something.

5. Everything. I'm the most comfortable with fictional short-stories, but I've dipped my feet into poetry a few times (mostly in the form of song lyrics), and non-fiction as well. I tend to stick with the sci-fi and fantasy genres more often than others, and if I don't, then I'm probably writing in a surrealistic model of the real world.

2. hannahem27

hannahem27 New Member

There's this little itch I get in my hand, an itch that seems to take over my entire body and makes me grab for a pen and a piece of paper. Then I'm not content until the two are connected.

Why do you write?
    I feel powerful, with a pen in hand. I feel that the world is mine, and I can write anything I want to. It also calms me down a lot

Current events, movies, other books, my emotions, songs pretty much everything

I dunno...it's always been in my nature I think. I'm a creative person, and I've been writing since I can remember.

What Do You Write?
    Everything except poetry. I suck at poetry. I love writing novels mainly, especially romance and historical. I think writing quirky essays is pretty good too. I write rants when I'm angry or sad, so pretty much everything!

3. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

there's another me inside my head who's just waiting to say what he thinks so he controls my fingers from time to time.

Why do you write?
    i write because i want to send a message, i dont know what that message is yet:)

i am driven by one aspect, it's the one thing that makes me lose total track of time, i live i another world when i write

i was 12 and my 7th grade teacher told me how terrible my stories were. i was sent to the headmaster who then phoned my parents and said, "Son, where did you copy this from?" i told i wrote it and my mom backed me up:)

What Do You Write?
    Crime thriller/romance/poetry

4. Still Life

Still Life Active Member

everything: really, I mean it, everything.

Why do you write?

I can't stand blank paper.

I can't keep secrets. They most likely end up on paper.

What made you decide you liked to write?

When someone came along, out of the blue, picked up a piece of paper I had dropped that slid across the classroom to his converse-sneakered foot - a sheet of smudgy gray paper with my long scrawls and zig-zagging of words on it - read it and said, " Dude, like, wow. Is it really you?"

What Do You Write?

life: my life, the lives of people I love, or those I pass by on the street without ever exchanging more than a single glance, about encounters and meetings, or sometimes even people who pass by each other in opposite directions everyday, and never really meet.

I suppose that's what I write, or something like that.

5. Fransieska

Fransieska New Member

When I was younger I always knew that I enjoyed being creative although I didn't really understand what to do with that desire at the time. I did enjoy English lessons where we got to make up poems and stories in junior school. When I got to high school this kinda got shunned to one side until my friendecided to start writing his autobiography. I decided to do this also and found the writing extremely theraputic. I didn't like the end result and will not say what I did with it as a result of suddenly having to deal with quite a lot. about a year and a half after I began to write fictional stories for an online community like this one. I quit that after a disagreement with a few members and suddenly began thinkinlyg of writing as a bit more serious than a hobby for me. It enables a freedome for me that I do not feel I can get from life and believe me, I have tried.
    I like to write short stories, which are usually connected to real situations I have been through. I like to write comic essays, which are usually me having a rant about something and write it down. I can see you yawning but I have been told this is quite funny. I would also like to write a novel although I am not sure what about yet, I think I need to explore some options before I just jump in there.

6. Dystopian Dictator

Dystopian Dictator New Member

I write because my imagination compells me to. :D

7. leopharry

leopharry New Member

What compells me to write?
    Well, my friend, this is an excellent question. =]
    I suppose I write because it gives me a safe, creative way to get all the bad ideas out of my mind.
    Sometimes, I think of absolutely dreadful things to do, and, since I lack the right kind of imagination to find the consequences for myself, I put my characters into these harebrained schemes and see the consequences that way.
    I also come up with WAY too many plot ideas for comfort. =]

Why do I write?
    I write because, as many others have said, I can't not write. It's become a part of me over time, silently slipping into my blood, and now, I can't be rid of it. =]

What makes me write what I write?
    Well, if I were to answer this question, I would first have to decide what it is that I write. =P
    I guess I write a lot of fan-fictions. I know, how uncreative, right?
    Partly right.
    I admit, it's not the most creative form of self-expression. I understand this.
    But it's a good form of stress-relief, and it's also enjoyable to place my favorite characters in situations they wouldn't normally find themselves.
    But when I write my own fiction, I normally get the inspiration from my emotions, and how other people might behave differently, if they were in my shoes.

What made me decide I liked to write?
    I decided I liked to write before I was even old enough to comprehend the idea of writing. When I was very young, I loved coming up with stories for my dolls, or to doodle, or to tell my parents and sister. I loved seeing their expressions when I told them the ending. It was my childhood high.

What do I write?
    I write life.
    Rarely my life, but hey. Life is life. =]

8. Luminous

Luminous New Member

I write because speaking and socializing is not my strong point, and I have many things I want to say that come out sounding so much better, deeper, and more efficiently on paper.

Writing is a way to be understood where you can be completely clear and spend as much time as you need to organize your thoughts.

That's why I write.

9. leopharry

leopharry New Member

OH yea.
    That too. =]

10. pegasi_quill

pegasi_quill New Member

Flat. Currently by the window. Staring out, in f
    Yeah, that. Well it was that, up to a point. I sort of improved my socializing skills in the past year and a half or so, whoch has certainly helped in just about everything :)

Nowadays, I don't know... writing has become a habit of sorts, I suppose. And I have lods of ideas - I need to have a vent for my creativity somehow. It's sort of like painting, just that instead of paints or pastels you're using words to paint the picture. Besides, it improves my vocabulary - I have this thing for new words.

It also lets me organise my thoughts. Or, well, writing tends to be an attempt to organise my thougts, anyway.

Besides, I see writing as making sure one's opinions and ideas are never forgotten, and through that, the writer him/herself is never forgotten, even after death or whatever. Writing something, anything, and sharing it with people, is making an imprint in history.

I tend to ave wierd theories like that. They strike me in teh most random moments, too ;)

11. nicthechick

nicthechick New Member

I write because I am sure if I didn't my head would melt and I would be in a psychiatric unit

12. Happy-Epistemology

Happy-Epistemology New Member

It's fun, and I want to put my ideas into something tangible. I write because I enjoy it, and I want to explore the story more.

Why do you write?
    See above-I have fun writing, and hopefully entertaining people.

I can't write dark gritty stories-I want writing to be more fun than emotional. All my protagonists are sweet, innocent and purely good. I can't bring myself to hurt them too much! All that probably has something to do with my age.

I've always liked writing. It wasn't a conscious decision.

What Do You Write?
    Just stories that are at least 20 pages and sometimes up to 60 pages. They're a blend of sci-fi and fantasy, and hopefully funny. I like to think they reflect my personality.

13. Carpa Túnel

Carpa Túnel New Member

What compells you to write? - Inspiration, of any kind, or an event that happens to me

Why do you write? - To get my emotions down in ink (or pixels)

What makes you write what you write? - Events that happen to me or a certain peice of inspiration

What Made you decide you liked to write? - When I started I realised it was fun

What Do You Write? - Song lyrics

14. beachbum

beachbum New Member

I have a need to tell stories.
    Why do you write?
    Because I can, why waste the little talent I have?
    I am an intense of the strange and magical, the unknown hidden behind the known.
    I found myself in Creative Writing class in High School and I loved it.
    What Do You Write?
    short fiction, horror and fantasy

15. Darkthought

Darkthought Active Member

There are still stories that need telling.
    'nuff said.

16. Rastathialla

Rastathialla New Member

Because its the only way I can make sense of my own mind. I talk to myself a lot, half the time I answer myself. I talk to myself in four different languages. I ususally can't make sense of my own words, so I start writing and everything makes sense.

Also, I love writing. I love making my own worlds, controlling character's lives. I love resolving my own issues in someone else's life.

If I don't write I go crazy! As if I don't already sound crazy :D

Writing is a vent, I don't have very many people I can talk deep with, so writing lets me get out my feelings, every piece I have ever written was a result of my emotions, not inspiration, but how I was feeling.

I love writing. Writing skill sets you apart from the world. You become one of those people that kids have to read when they get to High School. You book becomes one of those that kids can relate to. Also even though you don't get to hear it, you can almost count on some kids somewhere going "Awwww nooo not Wesley Vinton Harney again, he makes me think!!!"

Hehehehe just my own fantasy..to be a classic author.

17. Milady

Milady Active Member

I write because I'm good at it. It's just about the only "worthy" hobby I have. There are stories that need telling, places that need exploring, and characters dying to live. I am merely their secretary; I take dictation.

I write because, at heart, I'm a creative being. The problem is, I'm a creative being who's too clumsy to take up the brush and whose singing deafens every dog for miles. I do, however, have an ear for flow and an eye for errors.

I knew I liked to write when a fanfiction I posted got rave reviews, and I wrote another and another until I didn't care to post them, just wrote them for the fun of it.

I like to write... anything really. Though, because I read mainly fantasy, that's what I'm inclined to write.

18. Anthony James Barnett

Anthony James Barnett New Member

Because I have to. There's a drive, deep inside, that needs to be satisfied. Maybe it's because I'm not a good talker, maybe it's my way of communicating without someone interrupting or trying to take centre stage.

Anthony

19. Rickie writes

Rickie writes New Member

-Why Do You Write?

Because I think.

-What compells you to write?

Because I forget what I thought about and I thought it so cleaver I didn't want to forget it. Then I read it and it sucks. Then I think...

-Why do you write?

It makes me feel good.

-What makes you write what you write?

I want to dazzle and delight readers with my whit & wisdom.

-What Made you decide you liked to write?

Writing helps me sort things out and it makes me feel good, I feel clever.

-What Do You Write?

Anything that comes to mind that captures me at the time.
    There isn't a pattern yet but the doctors say if I keep up with my medicine it will eventually help me.

20. Long Gone

Long Gone Guest

Experiences from life, and not necessarily my own. Things that I see on TV, current news affairs, stories that are told to me by friends and family. That sort of thing.

Because it creates something that is mine. If I had the money to make movies, I would. If I had the skills to make video games, I would. You can watch movies, you can play video games, you can listen to music and want to change things in them, but you can't. With writing, you can. You can do whatever you want.

I guess its supressed feelings inside of me. Things that I wish I could do, or qualities I wish I had personified in characters that I make interesting in their own ways. For example, I have written on sociopath criminals because I wish I had that kind of respect and power in the world, or even in a small community.

When I was little, in English class, all I wanted to do was read my book or write stories. I hated all the grammar and punctuation lessons, they weren't for me. When I left school, I went to college studying English - but soon left because less than half the curriculum was on creative writing. I was born to write. Its just something I love doing. I only hope I'm as entertaining a writer as I think, otherwise what's the point?

Mostly crime thrillers. I wouldn't say I admire criminals, I just think that (whether they'd admit it or not) the power and respect they demand is something everyone wished they had. Besides that, I love writing about the rise and consequent downfall of empires.

21. Sugar N. Spice

Sugar N. Spice New Member

I write about anything that goes on around me, and what compels me are the inspirations.

Why do you write?
    I write because it is one of the things that I can do for myself, and myself alone. It's one of the few things that make me feel good about myself.

The compassion I feel for some of my characters. I can't let go of them.

When I was eight years old, I got my first story professionally edited. It was rejected for publication of course, but it was that honor that drove me.

What Do You Write?
    General Writing, but I like to focus on something along the lines of a brotherly relationship.

22. nburwell

nburwell New Member

My characters keep me writing. They inspire me and keep me going, even if I don't want to.
    Why do you write?
    To teach others and open their minds to worlds and ideas that they have never thought of before.
    Again, my characters. We decide what we write together. Who we write for usually doesn't have an impact on what we write because I know that whatever my characters think up will be so phenomenal that people will be stunned by it.
    I have always loved writing, but finding my first two characters and falling in love with them... when they taught me what love really was, I needed to write and live with them. To convey to the world what I felt and how they opened my mind.
    What Do You Write?
    Science fiction and fantasy. Anything that acknowledges or encompasses infinite thought.

~Natalie

23. schrei

schrei New Member

What compels you to write?
    Ha, compels was spelt wrong. Sorry, firefox picked it up.
    The fact that I am God compels me to write. I can write about misery, happiness, love, murder, suicide and trauma - just because I'm feeling evil/nice that day. It's amazing.

Why do you write?
    Why shouldn't I write?
    It's a source of freedom. It's like creating a new world and letting ours explore it, or just getting it out of your head for a while.

Dreams and fantasies. May sound common but most of the subjects I write about have a relation to me. I write about my own fears and I twist and turn them so that they are more than just an irrational fear, they are a full on horror.

Teachers at primary. They always told me I had talent and they told me not to give up.
    And I haven't.

What Do You Write?

I write horror and mystery, sometimes mingled with slight romance.

24. das_rebell

das_rebell New Member

I just feel like writing is in my blood. Just a part of me, and when I get an idea the only way I know how to express it is through writing (although I think all of my story lines out in like movie form in my head).

I really can't even tell you why I write, I just always have. It's always been a part of me. Almost subconcious in a way.

Whatever idea pops into my head makes me write what I write. I mean sometimes I'll hear a song and it will make me think of a random idea. Sometimes I'll get really intrigued by an event or a person, so I'll have to write either about it, or something based off of it. Or sometimes, I'll just start writing something, and it will just go and go and go.

I never decided to write. I just always did. I was really little when I started writing probably 6 or 7. It's just always been a part of me somehow. I don't even remember when I started, but after I wrote one story it became something of a sickness, an addiction. I think after that my notebooks were full of writing instead of drawings, because I realized what truely made me happy.

I write:
    Realism usually, Natrualism is too depressing, and Romaticism is too unrealistic. Usually it's like sad realism though, sometimes I'll dip into nartualism but not usually. I just write...tragic realism. I've written...lets see...about vampires, school shootings, pirates, romance, a girl who has amnesia, supernatural stuff, the holocost. Just whatever pops into my head I guess.

25. smeeks

smeeks New Member

my answer is pretty simple:

I write not to tell my story, but to tell someone else's.

thats all