Why does bad literature sell so good?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Bimber, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Your post has somehow reminded me of a weirdly disturbing song by Rammstein entitled, "You smell so good", complete with a video of demonic hounds bursting from some guy, I believe. There was definitely demonic hounds either way. It's a pity their lyrics are so weird - when I was younger, I quite enjoyed the rhythm of their music and since I don't speak German, the contents of the songs were lost on me. But these days I dunno, the music gives me a creepy vibe, so I don't listen to it anymore. Same goes with Evanescence - perfect angsty stuff I loved as an emo teen - and now, even though I still like the music, I don't listen to it anymore cus once again, the music gives me a creepy vibe. It's almost like you can hear and feel its intent without bothering with the lyrics.

As for literary fiction - I had a friend once who wanted to write literary fiction. When told that her stories should really have more of a plot, that her characters should actually do stuff and not spend 3-5 pages standing outside the door pondering things, she would inform you that she isn't concerned with the story but the characters. She also didn't understand why, for the general non-upper-class population, that reading her upper-class wealthy characters going "woe is me!" is annoying in the extreme lol. Anyway, @peachalulu 's comment on pacing reminded me of this :p

peachalulu and Lemex like this.
  2. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

To be fair, the only writer I know of who could pull off writing about wealthy characters who have problems that didn't involve murder was P.G. Wodehouse. :p And maybe a few others, it's very hard anyway. :)

3. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Ah, this was a friend who, while very lovely and I do still like her a lot, completely denies the fact that she's wealthy and definitely upper-class. Nothing wrong with that fact - she was born into the family after all - but as such she doesn't quite understand life for the rest of the population sometimes. I remember at uni, she shopped regularly at M&S, buying the best fruits and fish products etc, and genuinely thought that was perfectly normal for the average student in the UK. (she's not English - she was an international student)

4. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Haha, marvelous aren't they? I knew a guy like that, you should have seen his face the first time we took him to Lidels! It was a mixture of sheer horror and sheer delight.

peachalulu and Mckk like this.
  5. lettuce head

lettuce head Active Member

Wow. Well said.

I often find it strange how some look down their nose at readers who simply want to be entertained. Most books are sold as entertainment. Nothing wrong with that. The readers determine the market, not the author. The best an author can do is to try to reach their market, whatever that market is.

And as you say, a good writer can float a deeper meaning, even in more popular entertainment books.

peachalulu likes this.