Word Association Problem: Need help for my book

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Sidewinder, May 24, 2011.

1. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

LOL, you're welcome. I thought it was a typo until you kept doing it and well... probably doesn't belong in the book that way :p

2. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Group A
    Humane, selfless, fair-minded, considerate, mothering, compassionate.

Group B

I don't have an answer for this one. Cautious being the odd one out that is making it difficult. Assertive, competitive and managerial are all strong 'in your face' positive words. Cautious is hesitant and I cannot see a link between it and the other three words.

3. Sidewinder

Sidewinder Contributor Contributor

Hm. Interesting that you chose "mothering."

Thought about it and "Cautious" could easily be swapped for "Independent."

4. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

How?

Nurturing being the word that triggered mothering and the other three words in group A fit with the typical view of a mother.

Although all mothers would not fit into this pattern - you only have to read Two Pence To Cross The Mersey by Helen Forrester to see that.

5. Sidewinder

Well just b/c if you read previous posts I have been leaning towards Masculine/Feminine. So when you say "motherly" it makes me think that there is probably something to that.

6. Trish

How?

I don't see how cautious equals Independent....

7. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Neither do I. One can be independent and cautious, or independent and rash. Both words describe a way of acting, but not the same way of acting.

8. Trish

It just occurred to me that maybe the word you're looking for is "reserved"? That's very similar to detached though (although definitely not the same) and may cause a whole other set of issues. Anyway, reserved fits into your grouping better, I think. (And is different I think than "cautious" connotation wise). IDK... I think my brain is sizzling :p

No matter how you slice that circle it's difficult to label so simply. Someone will always take offense, but I guess if you're not offending someone you're not living hard enough, right? :p

9. Sidewinder

@Trish -- The words I've chosen are supposed to express an aspect of behaviour that represents an interpersonal strength expressed in a positive way. "Cautious" would describe a more neutral aspect of separating behaviour, as would reserved, I think. Reserved even has some negative connotations. I'm going with Independent because we want to describe this tendency in a positive way.

@EdFromNY -- When you're talking about interpersonal behaviour, one can't be independent and rash as easily. I suppose it would be possible, but it would require some convoluted activity. Remember these are all words to describe behaviour towards others.

10. Sidewinder

Separating behaviour CAN be dominant, but it can also be submissive. It all depends on context and motivation for the behaviour. Looking for a term that describes controlling and separating whether controlling is expressed in a connecting or separating way, or whether separating is expressed in a controlling or yielding way. Apply the same math to the other half of the circle. Does that make sense?

So far masculine/feminine still seem like the best options.

I'll put together a better list. Maybe you guys can help me pick out the right adjectives to use.

11. Trish

I guess it's just the definition of the word then. I don't see "cautious" as synonymous with "independent". I don't think reserved has negative connotations? Reserved is less negative than, say, aloof. And it's different than cautious. To me, cautious implies anxiety/fear/nervousness (root word caution - be careful or you might get whacked! lol). Reserved implies (again to me) serious/analytical/logical/composure. None of which do I see as negative in and of themselves. Not my book though of course :)

12. Sidewinder

Cautious and independent aren't synonymous, but they are associated with each other.

Yeah it's a tricky job picking the right adjectives that's for sure. I think I'll start a new thread for some help on this, and explain how the circle works a bit more clearly.