Your opinion of Marijuana, please.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jaclyn, Nov 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Night Haunter

Night Haunter Banned

Simple answer unless you need the drug medically. Only the idiots choose to take them. We live free we think free we choose our path. Idiots choose drugs. Like I said unless medically needed they are idiots.

2. Jaclyn

Jaclyn Active Member

I'm not an idiot.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Yes. Weed is different from heroin, which is different from alcohol, which is different from tobacco, which is different from barbiturates...

However, all of them can be addictive, in different ways and to different degrees. All can be harmful, in different ways and to different degrees.

No one ever believes they will let it get out of control, either in terms of addiction or harmful effects. Nevertheless, lives are ruined by every one of them.

Nothing is harmless. That is true. And everyone has to decide whether the benefits are worth the risk. For my part, the only one of those substances I will now partake of is alcohol, and only in moderation. For me, that averages to perhaps a few drinks per month, and usually fewer.

The topic of this thread, marijuana, is somewhat insidious. You don't really realize how strongly you are affected by it until you are away from it for a while, and notice how everything has lost its dullness, how you suddenly have energy again.

Like the song says, "Nononono, I don't smoke it no more, I'm tired of waking up on the floor..."

4. Jaclyn

Jaclyn Active Member

Ok, I don't smoke Marijuana as often as I believe you think I do. I believe 110 % in moderation. I think it takes a lot for an individual to feel as though their life is completely empty without weed, but not so much with cocaine, heroin, or meth.

5. Cogito

I think you're intellectualizing it too much. Compulsive behavior isn't necessarily feeling something is missing. It can be hating doing it and a moment later realizing you are doing exactly what you hate.

6. Night Haunter

Night Haunter Banned

Drugs are drugs and drugs are for the stupid suger coating it or not. Unless you medically need "Dope" like MS, Cancer. Then your an Idiot drugs are stupid and only the stupid people take them.

Excuses are excuses if you choose to take drugs your an idiot.

7. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Why choose drugs? Why choose drugs to relax over doing something else like listening to soft music, going for a nice walk or reading a book or even meditation? A swim, or just lying in bed daydreaming? Why use drugs to escape reality? I can understand the need to do so because life sucks at times but It amazes me.

I personally don't have any intrest in taking drugs because I can get hyper and have fun or relax without using drugs to do so. I hate the smell of it and I have a mindset that most people that take the drugs are morons. But that's just my opinon and I have family members that do smoke mull or weed or whatever the heck you want to call it. But I tend to not see them much. I don't particularly like people that do smoke it also because half the people in my town probably do it because they think it's cool.

8. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

Many other relaxing things that are far more constructive... like writing for instance.

9. Baywriter

Baywriter Contributor Contributor

Doesn't matter. As I think was said, addiction is addiction. I've know quite a few people who were addicted to marijuana. They never saw it coming. Only the people on the outside realized something was off at first. It can happen before you're even aware of it. And it's very hard to just cut yourself off from something that's got a hold of you like that.

10. adamant

Yeah... not much of a reason to risk it either. A few hours of fun, if that? Wasted money, and you can get in trouble if you're caught with it.

11. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

I concure

12. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

well if your calling drug users idiots then many many many of us are considered idiots correct me if I am wrong but isnt....caffeine considered a drug, same with cigarettes, and yup alcohol. so if you choose to drink your an idiot....you choose to smoke.....yup your an idiot. Isnt Anything addictive is considered a "drug"

i do understand how you are saying that drugs like pot and meth are used by the idiots, but pot is way more harmless than alcohol, and I am sure the majority uses that at leisure. so before the name calling starts lets stop and think.

Just for clairification, I do not smoke pot or any drugs. The only thing i do is drink casually and enjoy a good cup of java.

13. Cogito

Agreed. While we can disagree about the use of certain drugs, let's try to avoid judgemental words about the people who use them. The fact that we even have a discussion about marijuana use makes it clear that there are those who do not consider it bad or stupid.

14. adamant

A bit much to say everyone that has used drugs is an idiot, is it not?

And what exactly made you believe alcohol is more harmful, and that is less likely to be used for merely "leisure" purposes? Weed is known as a gateway drug... all of this is connected. Alcohol is one as well, especially with it being legal and quite abundant.

Though addictiveness is a large part, the definition most are using also includes a negative change in health and/or cognitive abilities. I understand that things like chocolate can be considered a drug, but there is a marked difference in their effects and potency in most situations (though I believe caffeine can be quite harmful to fetuses). Even coffee needs to be taken in moderation. I don't imagine you'd feel the same after indulging in a few dozen cups.

In addition, before anyone calls someone else an idiot, can we please learn the differences between your and you're?

15. want2playwithurevilinside

want2playwithurevilinside New Member

People take pot to 'get away' if not for medical use.
    People that take it for 'leisure' are doing it illigally, and doing it despite how easy it is to become addicted, and despite how bad the health effects are.
    People who choose to take illigal drugs can do so... Generally they are idiots, yes...
    I'm saying this from the point of view of personally smoking it occasionally by the way.
    They are idiots, because it is illigal for a reason, they are however, fun, and make us happy. And that's just why people do it, to get away from the stress of life. I assume anyone saying that someone 'smoking it is an idiot' has never tried it. because anyone who has, accepts it, and the people taking it.
    At the same time tho, marijuana has bad health effects, and i also believe it doesn't have worse effects than alcahol, but that's the governments fault for not recognising this, and acting correctly.
    To conclude tho... drugs are a part of everyone's life. Marijuana is bad yes, people are going to do it anyway... it's not like people kick up this much sh** about alcahol.
    choose to do it or not. I don't have a problem with it unless you become addicted, as long as you realise enough is enough, then all is fine.
    Cheers

16. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

In my humble opinion, marijuana is not addictive. I smoked it for 3 years, not every day sometimes not for months. Then when I found it was making me lazy even days after I was done smoking it, then I figured motivation is important to me so I just stopped.

I wasnt clear in my wording in my previous statement, I meant most people I know and have met, smoke it leisurely. I am not calling anybody idiots. I was merely responding to someone who did say that. I was just saying that I understand what he was trying to say.
    I cannot say with facts behind me that alcohol is more harmful, but I have dabbled a lot in both and I know from experience that alcohol is way more intense than pot. I am from Canada. We have strong pot here.We are known for our good pot haha Knowing this I can still say that alcohol is still more potent and harmful to the body than pot.

This is just my opinion, and like stated before I do not have facts backing me up, but I do have experience and that is worth taking into consideration.

your your your you're you're you're. Why did my wrong yours bother you so much. Are you picking on me? :D

17. adamant

Both of you did it actually.

Regardless of how much more addictive and harmful either one is, why even risk it? Perhaps you don't have a trait towards addiction, but that does not mean it is the same case for everyone. Also, when people are on pot, they are shunned from jobs, creating more problems and a cycle. So while marijuana may potentially be less addictive, it can create a lifestyle that makes the drug almost seem a necessity.

18. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Mull may not be addictive to you but it can be to others. Everyone is different including biologically. Things affect everyone differently. I've read stories about people smoking mull then going nuts and bashing the crap outta girlfriends and such and killign themselves due to paranoia.

I don't use drugs as in Mull or whatever. I have caffeine and probably addicted to that and chocolate. Alcahol I enjoy moderatly I just don't see the point of going out getting smashed and waking up wondering who's bed you are in, why is there a hairy naked guy next to you and where on earth your underwear is. Nobody can lecture me about the dangers of alcahol. My previous parter was an alcaholis so I know the dangers of it. Everything affects people differently. Just because you don't FEEL addicted doesn't mean that no-one else is.

19. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Marijuana is addictive and you are a fool to think otherwise. I saw someone who was using $250 a week of it give it up. It took him a year and he went through hell to get off it. Violent mood swings, hot and cold flushes, the shakes, he was a mess. It was like watching someone come down off a more intense drug actually.

Marijuana is as addictive as any other drug. If you think that it isn't then give it up for the next 12 months and see how much you crave for it!!!! I did and I harldy ever smoked it. Now when I smell it I get very ill.

I don't know why people think it is safe and not addictive but I have lived through a lot in my life and see a lot. I've seen what many different drugs do to people and to be honest, I won't associate with anyone that does illegal drugs anymore. It isn't worth it.

I won't ever stand by and watch someone's life fade away again. I've seen so much and experienced so much and all you go on is what dr's and web sites and people say. Try living it! Try living with a junkie and trying to support two children when they are spending every cent on marijuana as they are severely addicted and can't live without it. It can be as financially damaging as heroin and can ruin someone's life just the same. Don't be foolish to think any drugs is safe. None are!

20. Night Haunter

Night Haunter Banned

And idiots become addicted because to become addicted you have to get hooked then take regularly and then hey presto your addicted. Well it’s for the stupid morons of this world. My advice stay clear of drugs it’s only for the dumb thick stupid idiots.

21. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

Ok clearly we all have our own opinions, but I think the name calling should be stopped. it is inapropriate. Just because someone does not agree with you does not mean they are fools and idiots or stupid morons. I hear that you think that pot is addictive, but hear me when I say that I think it is not. I lived the lifestyle for more than a year, and stopped cold turkey. I didn't crave it-not even once. You made a good point over how just because it is not addictive to me, that it may be to others, and I agree that that is a valid point. I honestly just have never met anyone addicted and find it hard to see how one could be, but I suppose I do not know everything about pot, and have not met everyone, and experienced pot in their shoes. Anyways I am stepping away from this conversation because I feel it has run it's course and my opinion is out there whether one chooses to actually read it rather than scan it.

22. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

you have a good point there word wizard but the thing is it all really depends ont he quantity you smoke as well. I found cold turkey with marijuan was easy to do as well. But I have seen those who just can't do it at all. It is due to the THC levels in their bodies and after abusing marijuana in a major way the levels get up fairly high and don't really come back down that much if they smoke it basically all day long, every day. Once the levels drop they can't handle it too well.

It is more with people who tend to smoke the hydroponics stuff instead of the naturally grown stuff. But you see there are so many chemicals in marijuan itisn't funny. Everyone's experiences are different and honestly it is great that you never got addicted. I just say if you are going to do it make sure you are careful and don't get addicted. It CAN be addictive and I have seen people get addicted.

All drugs are addictive there is no getting away from it. Just some people really are more suseptable to becoming addicted to different things. Sorry if I offended you at all ww, I never intended on it at all.

23. Night Haunter

Night Haunter Banned

Simple answer Don't take them to begin with. Then you wont become addicted. If you have a terminal illness or MS then fair play. But anything else well your an idiot if you choose drugs its for the dumb and well we don't bother with dumb animals do we. And thats what druggys are dumb animals.

24. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

No worries Torana, I just was frusterated that such a simple conversation can lead to name calling. I know that the names were not directed at me personally, but if I said (for example)young moms are stupid, then you would be a bit offended-even if I wasn't directing that at you. There are a few other frustrations but it has nothing to do with the topic at hand. I still stick to what I said, but just to clarify I think both sides of the debate have very valid points.

night haunter you have every right to feel that way. It is your opinion to say those things. I do however think you are just trying to make the conversation more heated by name calling. Your choice.

25. Raven

Raven Banned

Ok folks I know your all sensible but remember everyone has an Opinion and its never the same. Just keep kool heads.

Thanks

~Raven.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.