30 best fantasy series

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Steerpike, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I didn't like Mistborn either, at least what I read.

2. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

I'm planning to finish the series as I think can learn from Sanderson's world-building and writing, even though I don't think it's as well written as The Night Angel trilogy (which I also found mediocre despite it being on the list). I don't know, I like Kelsier's character and I find the steel inquisitors quite interesting and cool, but the rest of the cast seem bland and uninteresting and the main character Vin is either irritating or boring as is her to-be-bf Elend.

On the other hand, The First Law, which is also on the list, has awesome characters and I didn't even mind that the plot wasn't the cleverest. The characters were just so cool, compelling, and funny. I guess another thing about Mistborn/the Final Empire that doesn't work for me is it being so vanilla while The First Law was like salty liquorice. :D That's not to say edgy = excellent 'cause I never got into Dresden Files.

I especially want to check out the pre '90s series featured on the list. I haven't read "older" fantasy that much,

Aaand I'm surprised The Deed of Paksenarrion isn't on that list. :eek:

3. BadCrow

BadCrow Member

I have to admit i don't know too many books on that list, (Potter, legend of the seeker, and Malaz) but i will check out the others aswell... as soon as i finish the Prince of Nothing that is.

A tale of the malazan book of the fallen is by far my most loved book series of all time... so far at least

4. Stephen1974

Stephen1974 Active Member

Each to their own but the Dragonlance series was brilliant. The first book, Dragons of Autumn Twighlight, I would rate as the 'best' book i've ever read, in terms of how much I enjoyed it. The next two not as good but the story overall, very good and the character development, the best i've come across by a country mile. 25 years on since I first red it, it's still on my shelf, very tatty, and no other characters I've read about mean as much to me as Tanis Half Elven, Sturm Brightblade or Tasslehoff Burrfoot.

5. karldots92

karldots92 Active Member

The big one for me that isn't on that list is Feist's Riftwar/Serpentwar saga. One of the best fantasy writers I've read. I'd also add The Empire trilogy by Fiest & Janny Wurts. The political intrigue made me not want to put it down.