1. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

A bargain at twice the price!

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by SapereAude, Apr 19, 2021.

NOT!

Bowker (the ISBN people) are now offering a service to help you register your copyright. It's quite a deal -- they only charge $79.95 to help you do what you can do for free. (Yes, the registration costs $65 -- but Bowker's fee doesn't include that so by using their service you more than double the cost of registering your copyright.)

https://www.myidentifiers.com/identify-protect-your-book/copyright/copyrightsnow?utm_source=emaillist&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=CRN_Reg_Rev_Apr_2021&ct=t(CRN_Reg_Rev_Apr_2021_COPY_01)&goal=0_b7c5ec599b-c89afad64e-159161803&mc_cid=c89afad64e&mc_eid=40027f664f

2. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

I've noticed all the junk mail I get from Bowker ever since I bought my ten ISBN package. Bless them, they can't live on those 13 digit numbers. They gotta pull income out of selling you anything else they can.

The other thing that amuses me is the outfits (including Bowker, I'm pretty sure) that want to sell you barcodes. Good grief, KDP and IngramSpark throw those in for free.

3. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

Does KDP throw in the bar code if you use your own ISBN? I thought the free barcode was only if you use their free ISBN.

4. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

Yep. All you have to do is leave the required blank space on your back cover copy, supply them your ISBN, and let them know if you want it to list a specific price, or do the "9000" to allow flexibility.