1. Dracon

Dracon Contributor Contributor

A Belated Introduction

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Dracon, Jan 1, 2017.

I created an account a week ago, but I decided to make a post here since I forgot to introduce myself!

For the past two years, I've been working on a novel (with some breaks). It's roughly set in an Ancient period, with no magic but award of my own. In fact, the map was probably one of the first things I had, along with a sketchy idea. and now, 200k later (and that was with some missing scenes I hadn't figured out how to write), I'm paying the price for that earlier ambition with the copious re-writes and rethinking I now need to do to get the novel to a readable state. The joke of it is, that was only half of what I had originally intended to write too!

Some people will recommend that I think smaller for my first novel, maybe have a few "practice runs", and I can see the merit in that (and don't worry, as I have zero delusions a about publishing), but this world that I have been creating is the only idea I have ever had for the past eight years, and I cannot stop thinking about it. :eek: And somehow I get a strange feeling that it might be the only one I might ever have.

This is my first 'serious' go at writing, not counting the one and a half dreadful books I wrote as a teenager (though I have fond memories of them). And what a way to start! Sometimes I can't help but think "what on earth have I done starting out with something like this?" Other times thoughts of my novel will dominate my day coming up with ideas and improvements. Sometimes it feels like there's no end to this novel, and I will never see that final draft, if it's taken two years to get to this stage. Sometimes I feel so positive that one day, it will be finished, and it doesn't matter how long it takes.

I like to think I have been improving, no matter how slow the progress sometimes is. I can look back two years and can see the good ideas I had, and the bad ones. The story so far in rewriting already feels miles better than when I finished the first draft.

Now I can only think of the reward at the end when I finally finish it, and that's the reason why I started my Progress Journal on the other forum: so I am able to look back and see how far I've come. So when it comes to those days that my resolve has ebbed, to see that I am making progress. I don't think anything can be truly rewarding without it having been challenging, and to pull this off, do it well and feel pride in what I've done would be the most amazing feeling in the world and the greatest reward I could hope for.

2. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

Welcome! F&$%& that 'think small' - I say write where your passion is!

With regard to advancement: You'll find that if you stay around in this forum, read up, comment on other's problems, critique other's work, it'll help your own down the line. But most importantly: have fun :)

3. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributor Contributor

Screw "book-shots", or whatever the crap people call writing nowadays.

Secrets and wonders are found in the darkest depths of long, rich narrative.

Ghost Reflection likes this.
  4. Dracon

Dracon Contributor Contributor

Thanks for your introductions. That's the beauty of critique: it helps two people and I hope to carry on learning.

A man called Valance likes this.
  5. Rosacrvx

Rosacrvx Contributor Contributor

Don't we all?
    There are interesting threads going on at the moment about progress, editing and first drafts. You may want to look them up.

Welcome! :)