A British Character?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by CheddarCheese, Feb 5, 2012.

1. CheddarCheese

CheddarCheese New Member

Oh, well there's a new one. Well actually, I think I've heard it being used over here, but very very sparingly. Is the word "hiya" used often over there?

2. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

It's used all the time, together with hi, hello, what's up, alright? etc

3. Fan7asticMrFox

Fan7asticMrFox Contributor Contributor

I also would say that 'babe' or 'babes' is used a fair amount in the UK by females, especially young adults. It's like 'mate' but probably used only for close friends or partners, rather than an informal use with strangers. For example 'Hiya babes!' or 'Cheers babe' could possibly be used.

They tend to do that in the south of England, or at least from where I'm from anyway (Hampshire, pretty close to London but as it has been said in the posts above, London has many different dialects and slang etc.). If you have ever watched 'How I Met Your Mother', Nora is probably a good indication of middle class. She also says 'Thank you, babe' at the end of one of the episode's she's in! (Season 7, not sure what the episode is).

Fox

4. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

^ I must say I've never heard 'babe', but it might be a southern thing. That's actually something us UK residents should stress. The UK is very regionally and culturally diverse, and equally so with accents. The stereotypical 'British' accent is something I've never actually heard about side American films.

5. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    My son and his ex used it all the time. I think it's the Essex influence.

6. thecoopertempleclause

thecoopertempleclause New Member

I'm from Cornwall, and it's perfectly acceptable for one man to say to another: "Right on my cock."

7. digitig

"Cock" is dialect for "person" in much of the UK. Although "cock" does have the sexual meaning in the UK it still has so many other routine meanings that it can usually be used without embarrassment.

8. Lemex

Where? I've honestly never heard that either.

9. Nakhti

Nakhti Banned

I've heard 'Wotcha, cock?' in parts of London, meaning 'what's up, mate?'

I've never heard a female say 'babe' or 'babes' to a friend outside of Essex, although I have known a number of men who've used it in the traditional sense as a term of endearment to a female (usually partner).

The one I most commonly hear and use is 'hon' - that's pretty ubiquitous across the UK, I think...

10. Lemex

I've heard 'hon' but not the other two. In my defense I'm Scottish and currently living between Sunderland and Northumberland.

11. digitig

We've just heard it attested from Cornwall, and I've heard it in London. In the north (including Scotland) it's more likely to mean winner/champion, as in the traditional march tune "Cock o' the north" and the playground game we played in Lancashire, "Cock of the hill" (where we all tried to push off the person standing on a dustbin or some such and take their place).

12. Nakhti

Nakhti Banned

On this note, I should mention something about Brum... :D

I'm not from here originally (I'm a southerner too, South West actually) but I do love the Midlands for their slang...

Most common expression you'll hear in Brum: Aroight, bab? (Alright, babe/darling?) - people say this as a greeting to anyone, from a total stranger to their best mate.

Second most common: yow-roight? (you alright?)

Third: Tara-a-bit (see you in a little while) - commonly said instead of goodbye.

And then there has to be mention of...

Bostin. I think it's the Brummie accented form of 'busting' and means brilliant, lovely, smashing. As in 'that were a bostin kipper tie' - that was a lovely cup of tea.

Oh, I love Brummies... ;)

13. aimeekath

aimeekath New Member

Watch some British TV shows (partly for research, partly because they're awesome) and see what kind of dialogue and accents they use.

Like everyone said, there are many different regional dialects and slang, depending on your social background and where you come from. We also have different vocabulary, such as sweets instead of candy, or car boot instead of car trunk. You can find lists of differences online. In addition to this, there's a lot of slang, but again it depends on where you're from.

For example, I'm from Bristol and a lot of people use these kinds of terms:

"Gert Lush" - You're lush (as in lovely, good et.cetera)
    "Alrigh' my luvver/babber?" - How are you? (Luvver and babber is used for friends and people you're fond of)
    "Ark at ee" - Listen to him
    "Cheers drive" - Thank you bus driver
    "Brizzle" - Bristol

But I think using loads of that sort of thing will alienate readers if they aren't from that area. And subtety is probably better.

14. thecoopertempleclause

Bristol terrifies me. It's one of the biggest cities in the country, yet everyone talks like a farmer. It's not right. I had this one conversation:

"Excuse me, would you be able to help me. I'm looking for the Thekla (music venue)?" I said.

"Thekla? Ah yea. Dat's a boot!" he replied.

"A boot?" I said. "No, it's a music venue. For concerts."

"Arr, Ey Know. It's a boot. A boot, a boot in the warta," he said.

"A boat?" I asked with trepidation.

"Aye. Dats wot ey sed. A boot."

I decided to use my phone's GPS from that point on.

15. Nakhti

Nakhti Banned

Erm, ok.... I've never heard a west country accent that turns the word 'boat' into 'boot' - maybe you just don't have a finely tuned enough ear to appreciate the subtle shades and nuances of tone that distinguish the elongated Brizzle vowels ;-)

16. aimeekath

aimeekath New Member

Haha! I've never really heard boat being turned into boot before. Not everyone speaks like a farmer... just most people. Personally I quite like it because I live outside of Bristol now, so I don't hear that all the time. I love Brizzle.

Sorry for going off topic but where is Thekela? I really wanted to go, but I couldn't find it. It's on a boat near Temple Meads isn't it? Oh, and I went to Cornwall last year, but I noticed that some people there talk quite slowly.

17. Nakhti

Nakhti Banned

'Ooh my god I SEW cahn't believe you jus sed thaht...

An enyways i weren't even lyin or nuffen or enyfen so shet-erp!'

18. thecoopertempleclause

Can't remember exactly, but it's permanently moored to a side of the canal which runs round the city centre of Bristol. About ten minutes walk from the train station.

Cornish conversation is beyond leisurely. The standard conversation is a few minutes about the weather, then they just tell you whatever personal things are on their mind:

"Good to see the sun again. Dunno where it's been to lately. Proper job ain't it. Yeah, my mother's got cancer, went to hospital. Tried to call my brother, but he ran off with his sister-in-law. Looks like rain tomorrow I 'eard."

19. prettyprettyprettygood

prettyprettyprettygood Active Member

Wow, I've never heard that word used in that way before. I'll have to think twice before taking offence if someone calls me that when I'm on my travels, then!

20. Nakhti

Nakhti Banned

Um, excuse me Mr Cornish person, wouldn't that be YOUR sister-in-law too - or your wife?? haha

Oi luvs Cornwahl