1. Malkhalifa

Malkhalifa New Member

A Cautionary Tale

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Malkhalifa, Jan 28, 2013.

A friend was telling me a story today about a local misguided girl he knows and I thought I'd share it.

The girl is much older now than when this story took place, but she was eighteen at the time and on her way to college in europe - her first time out of the country. Leading up to graduation she maintained an online relationship with a man she's never met through instant messaging, and who happens to live in the city where her college was. They met, things got serious, they had sex. Happily ever after, right? wrong. Not long after, she started feeling a persistent itch in her vagina. She finally couldn't take it and went to see a gynecologist. Her doctor tries to find out what the problem was, when his eyes went wide an he makes a rush for his door and locks it. The girl gets scared and starts asking what he's doing , what's going on and starts crying her eyes out. He firmly demands she explain what she's done and threatens to call the police if she doesn't. She panics and begs the doctor to tell her what's wrong. He tells her there are maggots growing inside her. She finally tells him about the man, how they met, what they did. She repeated the same story to the police and spent two nights in jail as the authorities investigated the man in question. They went to where the man lived and didn't find him, but what they did find was the dead bodies he's been bumping uglies with. Bodies of young girls the same age of the one in jail. As it turns out this guy is a necrophile and a killer they've been trying to catch for a while. They let the girl out when they found out she had no connection to the bodies. She's back here now, but I don't think that's the sort of thing you really come back from.

Crazy world we live in.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

This sounds like an urban legend.

3. Malkhalifa

Malkhalifa New Member

I'll ask for more info from my friend next time I see her. if theres a news article maybe i can find it. I just thought it was interesting. and tbh I believe it.

4. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Not sure if maggots can live on healthy flesh - sounds odd to me.

5. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

It makes no sense from both a legal and biological perspective. Maggots need dead flesh to grow. They cannot eat live flesh. She would have had to have internal injuries, which she would notice, that were infected. The police (at least where I live) would not throw her in jail accusingly because there is no cause, and the gyno would not 'run from the room' as they would know about the 'event' being possible due to infections and injury mixed with poor personal hygiene. It's not unheard of in the medical profession. There's even a name for it if you care to use Google.

Besides, I've heard this story before. It's an urban legend.

I'm sure you already know this, but no, they can't. Especially not thrive.

6. Michael Collins

Michael Collins Senior Member

Maggot's can't live on healthy flesh, even if there are rare reported cases of intestinal or urogenital myiasis in healthy tissues. The eggs could have been transferred from the corpses to the body of the girl, where maggots could have lived for some time thanks to their extremely resistant system, but I still don't believe this story.

I agree with those who say it's an urban legend.

Plus, I believe that a doctor acting like that in front of some maggots would loose his license.

7. tcol4417

tcol4417 Member

Screwfly maggots eat living tissue, but flesh-eating bugs are a damn pain - literally. Don't look up the botfly either, if you're squeamish.

This definitely has all the tellings of an urban myth: I think you've been punk'd.

For starters, no doctor would ever run away from a patient and lock the door behind them: If they need help, they call a nurse. If it's serious, they page a colleague. Worst case scenario they might leave themselves, but it is the primary concern of any medical professional to keep the patient calm, so I'm not buying that bit.

Secondly, it doesn't make sense that he'd call the police: People have shoved plenty of weird things into themselves in the past and it's never been a crime unless that thing has belonged to someone else and they're angry about it.

Thirdly, if maggots were growing inside her, they'd be tunneling through her soft tissues. There'd be a lot of bleeding and a lot of pain. Like, loads-of-little-grubs-ripping-at-your-flesh pain.

Fourth, she wouldn't have spent two nights in jail, she'd have spent two nights in hospital. Irrespective of any damage caused to her person, her tenuous emotional state and lack of any grounds to be charged with any offense would land her squarely in a ward.

Fifth, how did they find where this guy lived? Unless she told them? What kind of idiot serial killer takes victims into his house? And stores the bodies there? Without being caught? The smell alone would have carried for miles. Was he inserting fly eggs into his penis? Why? Maggots don't kill you (not before you notice it), so unless every one of his victims got a case of the crawlies and went directly to him instead of, you know, a doctor, there's no reason why girls wouldn't have been picked up by the police sooner.

No. This falls into the same category as "sushi makes bugs grow in your nipples".

Interesting it should be brought up, though: My family is friends with the sole surviving victim of the "Sketchbook Murderer", John Sweeney. I haven't cared to ask them for the details - there's been a couple of documentaries and the details they have there aren't the kind of thing you bring up over dinner. I'd appreciate it if people didn't deliberately look for her name in recent articles (sentenced to life without parole in 2011), but it's there.

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto all of the above... you've been had, kiddo!

9. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Interesting way to float a story idea, though.

10. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

And then...

aliens.

11. Sved

Sved New Member

I googled "urban legend necrophile"

It is indeed an urband legend!

12. Malkhalifa

Malkhalifa New Member

Hey I googled it myself, looks like I really have been had. Well, now i just have egg on my face.

13. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Gotta love the interwebs.

14. Michael Collins

Michael Collins Senior Member

Interwebrates.

15. prettyprettyprettygood

prettyprettyprettygood Active Member

Aww that's a blast from the past! I was about 11 when I first heard this one - classic urban legend :D

16. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

Nah, man, I've seen people with maggots coming out of their venous ulcers, but inside vagina? Unless she had some rotting tissue in there, and an air supply, no way. In medicine we always say "never say never" but there are educated guesses and mine is that the story is bogus.
    She was put in jail? Doctor called police? Talk about malpractice and illegal imprisonment.
    Plus, like the other have said, doctors see much worse things than maggots in their daily job, the reaction you described sounds completely ridiculous.
    The guy is a serial killer but he only has sex with her and lets her go? Just very badly plotted premise for a crime novel. Needs a lot of work to make it work.

Be as it may, organ theft was always an urban legend and yet a horrendous case of human organ extraction and trafficking by Kosovo Albanians is being investigated as we speak. Apparently over 300 organs of non-Albanian nationals were extracted during a separatist war, and since then traced through DNA evidence found in houses where harvesting procedures were performed, all the way to the private clinics and patients in Israel and Germany but also elsewhere (can't exactly remember whether some were found as far as Switzerland and the US). Certain soldiers of the rebel separatists were trained to perform extractions most often on living subjects, whilst a medical operative bagged and maintained organs until they reached Albania. They were then received by another person who would transport the cargo via private aircraft to an airport in Turkey and from there, to the EU and Middle East.
    The main reason why the investigation is slow is because of numerous deaths of witnesses (in the trial of one guy, Ramush Haradinaj, 17 witnesses were murdered leading to his release due to "lack of evidence").
    Most witnesses whose lives were spared fear for their lives and lives of their families if they testified about people who orchestrated the whole operation (no pun intended). But physical evidence discovered so far is unequivocal so it is true that illegal organ harvesting from healthy, living people occurred, and there are over 1000 people missing to this day.

So, you never know about urban legends, in a way, perhaps they can be described as "when there is smoke, there is fire".

But medical and legal details in the urban legend you wrote about would need to be sorted out in order to make it more convincing.

17. Malkhalifa

Malkhalifa New Member

Or in my office room boredom I was disinclined to assume I was being told a bogus story because I have no idea how to measure legal and medical plausibility. Anyway, fool me once, lol.