1. Vanvani

Vanvani New Member

A character created a bunch of "zombies". How can I get rid of them quickly?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Vanvani, Apr 21, 2019.

I definitely wrote myself into a bit of a corner. My story is about reanimation and is set in 1886, but after a while the reanimated person has to kill another person to prevent them from going "feral" or full zombie. Another character, one of the "zombies" wants to stop the further reanimation of more people and get rid of the existing ones spread all over London before more people die. How do I do this quickly though? :( I don't want this to drag in the climax of the last act.

2. The Piper

The Piper Contributor Contributor

To me, killing a load of zombies doesn't sound like something that would drag. If it's basically a repetition of "Gerald shot the zombie in the head and it died" then yep that's boring, but if you've got inventive ways for each then it can be a fun sequence.

Are you looking for a quick way of killing one zombie or all of them at once? If one, hammer. If all - depends how they were reanimated. If it's some sort of virus, then an antidote (spread through the air or something). Depends.

3. Vanvani

Vanvani New Member

Well basically, the main character is one of the zombies and is confronting the person who reanimated all the zombies and will end up dying in that scene. The remaining story is basically only falling action or the epilogue, so I want it to not take too long. The story doesn't have any action scenes so I don't think I should suddenly add a fighting the zombies bit, although the hammer is a always a solid idea :p . I already thought of most of the zombies offing themselves before they killed other people, since they are mostly regular decent people brought back to life. I just don't know how to deal with the ones that will inevitably refuse to die on their own, probably one third of them. I know I'm probably being rather confusing I'm just so far in the corner I wrote for myself idk how to get out.

Zombie Among Us likes this.
  4. The Piper

If you want to keep things simple, just have them get taken out by ordinary people across the world. Sure, they eat a few brains along the way, but eventually the ones that didn't off themselves will be wiped out, as long as the rate of zombies dying to zombies being reanimated is faster.

If you want them all to go in a nice quick sequence then again it depends on how they were reanimated. Virus is undone with antidote, spell is done with reversal spell or ritual, etc etc etc. And if it ends up killing your main character too, then you've got yourself a really defining, self-sacrificial moment. And if they *somehow* come back after that? Well you can cross that bridge later.

5. Vanvani

Vanvani New Member

I think I might go with that first one, since the way to reanimate them will probably end up being lost. I actually have a character who could hunt some down and which could serve as a nice epilogue. Thanks for the help I think I might be able to actually write an ending now. :D

6. The Piper

Sounds good, all the best with it!!

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Gasoline and a match?