1. Leviathanos

Leviathanos New Member

A collection of thoughts?

Discussion in 'Non-Fiction' started by Leviathanos, Nov 2, 2009.

Yeah so i always get told i'm and idiot and get missunderstood. But no, i'm not an idiot, i think differently. I think like an realist but can be pretty sadistic. I've heard and read books with people (mostly blonde crappy writers) who write about their lifes and how they achieved some crappy goal that changed their lifes so incredibly much. And there's alot of "My life" books that has nothing really intresting in it. So i wonder, would this kind of book be able to write and be published? Pretty much a book about my thoughts about things that happened in the world.

2. architectus

architectus Banned

Philosophers publish books. I think that's what you're talking about.

You will have to wrok on grammar, though.

3. Leviathanos

Leviathanos New Member

"wrok" hehe

Really, my grammar is very good but i am tired. I merely wanted to get to know if this was possible, didn't think of philosophy though. Thank you for the help.

4. Irish87

Irish87 New Member

If I find the right person I could probably sell them a jar of air. So, sure, maybe it'll work. You just have to find the right group of people who agree with you. I would just advise that you sit down and think out each and every little part of your philosophy. Otherwise you'll have jerks like me, who haven't anything better to do than read Naomi Klein books and shout violently all the while, on your ass about the holes in your theories.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

yes, books on philosophy do get published, but as an unknown new writer, your work isn't likely to interest paying publishers, since there'd be little or no market for it and they're in business to sell books...

thus, your only option will probably be one of the vanity-publishing venues...

6. Sillraaia

Sillraaia New Member

Misunderstood? You mean you unwittingly insult people and get called an idiot for it, then assume it is their problem because they misunderstood you, right?

Like, when your grammar is commented on, you seemed to take it as an insult, insisting your grammar is very good, but you are tired?
    Tell ya what - I am wrecked right now. Sick with the flu, headache, pregnant, and been awake for wayyy too long. But I can still spot grammatical errors in my posts. The word 'lifes' is grating. Just for one.

Excuse my slight rant, I am blonde, I say that makes me entitled in this case.

The way you speak about what other people write when they write about things that matter to them greatly, to me, makes you sound totally self-absorbed. I mean, who cares? Really?

What would make the thoughts of someone who shows no regard for other peoples thoughts/feelings/interests any more interesting than those already written? Unless you documented your journey from there to learning that every person is different and deserving of respect until proven otherwise, and were somehow able to throw in large amounts of humor...

But good luck with that.
    If it is what you really want to do, you don't have to get it published either, just because you wrote it. It might help you personally to get a hold of your own thoughts, and maybe even be a fun thing to look back on personally, 20 years down the road.

7. Leviathanos

Leviathanos New Member

Where did i take it as an insult if you don't mind me asking?
    And yes, books about random stuff like "oh my god everyone comments on me being fat!!". Some woman earned 4.1 Swedish crowns on a book about exactly that, seriously what the ****. The book is merely a rant to the unrealistic thinking of the world, not a book about myself.

And no, i don't insult people. People don't that life is harsh, and thus thinks i'm an idiot for actually saying how to avoid trouble. Now sure, it might not be nice to have to avoid doing some fun stuff to not get killed or similar, but it helps.

8. Sillraaia

Sillraaia New Member

The idea that you took it as an insult was just the impression I got from your post, and being awake now, I don't see it. So I will apologize for that much. I'm sorry.

So this one woman got tired of being called fat, and vented. Who cares? I am not well versed in foreign currencies, but 4.1 Swedish crowns doesn't sound like a lot.
    By 'the book' do you mean, the book you were/are writing? Like I said, feel free to write it, just don't expect it to get published. You would have to be lucky. Kind of like she was, maybe. If you are writing it, it is still about you, and your perception of the world. You did ask about what people might think of "your thoughts about things that happened in the world." And the answer to that, in the grand scheme of things, is that one person's voice gets drowned out. Nobody cares in today's day and age. We've heard it before, we know it isn't good, and who wants to read about how bad things are?

Note that I did say 'unwitting'. Maybe I need to spell it out. What has being blonde got to do with anything at all? That you threw that into the post without thinking anything of it kind of says a lot. To me. I don't know you, but seeing that one post from you makes you sound callous, and arrogant. Whether you are or not IRL is a different matter. But don't get upset when you insult someone and get called on it.

Now you aren't making any sense. I can't even begin to comment.
    You aren't an idiot for choosing to stay safe, if that is what you are saying - but the correlation between that and this post seems a little disjointed.

From all you have said so far, it sounds like you need to vent - writing it all out is a beautiful way to do that. Might be fun for you to look back on in 20 years, like I said - but the idea of getting a book published is so others can read it. A publisher isn't interested in publishing a book that won't sell. If people don't like to read it, they won't buy it, so it won't sell.

Personally, I pick up a book to escape how messed up the world is, not to read about it. It's like an alternate reality. A non-fiction biography type book might sell if it is by a celebrity. A Philosophical book might sell, if the 'mood' of it is good, and it poses some interesting points. But a rant? There are enough of those everywhere else you look.

Better to focus on the positives, else you risk spiralling into the big D word, if you are prone to that.

Edit: You might like blogging.

9. Leviathanos

Leviathanos New Member

Blogging is a pathetic way to get attention in my opinion. And sorry for the spelling, 4.1 million Swedish crowns.
    And yes, i don't know how it is in the glorious countries, or well i don't really know where you live. But the only thing that sells in Sweden is "My life sucks", "My life sucked" books and then we got philosophical books, children books and of course, the swedish police dramas that we then do movies on. (No kidding).
    But i have no thought of money in my head, merely want to get a book published.

10. HondaWriter

HondaWriter New Member

"But i have no thought of money in my head, merely want to get a book published."

Then just self-publish your book. You'll know how popular you are by how many copies it sells.

11. Leviathanos

Leviathanos New Member

You can't self-publish in sweden. Or well, there are books with no book company logo on them, but they are sold below the condoms in grocery stores..that feels kinda pathetic actually.

12. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributor Contributor

You call yourself a realist, but expect your personal rant compilation to get full attention on the top shelf? I'm sorry, but that's not very realistic. There's millions of bloggers who rant all day long, each with an average of 2 readers (one of them being themselves, the other most likely a spouse or relative). Most people have little to no tolerance for ranting. Why would they buy a book full of rants from a totally unknown person?

If I filled 300 pages with ranting, would you buy it? Be realistic when you consider this question.

You say blogging is beneath you, but most people work their way up... Especially realists. ;)

13. Leviathanos

Leviathanos New Member

I blogged for four years.
    And just as a small argument against that:
    Anton LaVey's "Satan Speaks" is a book of "rants". And i didn't say top shelf, but not below the condoms in a grocery store, there's a HUGE line between those two.

14. architectus

architectus Banned

Leviath, I believe you can still publish using create space, even if you live in Sweden.

I think you best option is to write a novel and cleverly hide your rantings about the human condition in it. Make what you wish to rant about the central theme of the novel.

15. evelon

evelon Active Member

16. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

lev... it's really an exercise in futility to ask people on this site if, or how you can get such a book published in sweden, as you may be the only one here who lives there and we can't be expected to know the situation in your country re books of this kind...

all we can do is give you the facts re publishing in the us, the uk and commonwealth countries, which is what we're doing... for info on sweden, you should be asking other writers who work and publish [or try to publish] there... i'm sure you can find some on swedish blog sites and there may even be writing sites like this in sweden, for all i know...

17. Sillraaia

Sillraaia New Member

If books like that truly publish there in Sweden all the time, as you say, then why are you asking if your book would publish?

18. Leviathanos

Leviathanos New Member

My question was answered from the first reply if you look. I am merely replying to the replies now.

And we can't really talk with book writers like that here. Most are snuck up and wont even allow to be interviewed...which is odd considering the low fame a writer gets nowdays.