Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waitingforzion

waitingforzion Banned

Why is no one critiquing anything?

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by waitingforzion, Oct 9, 2017.

I posted two poems in the critique forums. Ain't nobody said nuthin good or bad about nuthin I wrote. And in the past several hours ain't no one said nuttin about nuttin ain't nobody wrote.

Why dis forums soo not have much active?

Excuse the slang. This is nonetheless a serious matter.

2. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

Critiquing takes time and effort, if you're going to do it well. We don't all have both of those things at any given time. It's also a matter of feeling that you have anything useful to say on a piece, assuming that you even find one that you want to read - a lot of people have genre preferences that prevent them from reading a fair amount of what gets posted.

I'd also point out that one of the pieces you posted is titled "this is a terrible excuse for a poem". Frankly, a lot of people aren't even going to bother to click on that. If you think it's terrible why should anyone else read it? The self-deprecation doesn't come across as humility, it just makes folks more inclined to check out something with an interesting title.

Simpson17866, Laurus and Tenderiser like this.
  3. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Take it easy. Nobody's on the clock here. Critique is purely voluntary. Joining this forum does not obligate you to critique someone else's writing (unless you want your own writing critiqued - have you done your required critiques of other members' work?).

It's also a long weekend in the USA, and maybe a lot of members are away from their computers. Some are recovering from weather-related disasters and are understandably unavailable.

So relax and don't be so demanding. Be grateful for any comment, positive or negative, anyone finds time to give you.

:)

4. Clementine_Danger

Clementine_Danger Active Member

How can you have 410 posts here and not know how this works? I am genuinely baffled.

5. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

What's with the slang? Are you pretending that that's what you're being asked to write when people tell you to lay off the King James/cadence thing?

Editing to add: Actually, I wouldn't even give it the dignity of calling it slang. It's just a willful and deliberate basket of errors. Or possibly a tantrum.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  6. The Broken Soul Project

The Broken Soul Project Active Member

That's like expecting the rough draft of a work to be published immediately(well... then again twilight) it takes time and effort. I know when I post my first chapter in my story once I reach the requirements it might even take a month considering everyone in this forum probably has a relatively busy life.

7. ChickenFreak

Also, one of the poems that you posted for comment appears to be about how you wish people would stop commenting on your writing...

Simpson17866 likes this.
  8. OJB

OJB A Mean Old Man Contributor

You know, I'm in a wish-granting mood tonight; I'll tell you what, when I get home from dinner, I'll Critique both of your poems OJB-style.

Laurus and 123456789 like this.
  9. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

I don't know shit about poetry so I don't critique it. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who falls into that basket.

10. Sclavus

Sclavus Active Member

I don't know why, but I like writing poetry and loathe reading 90% of it. All the poetry I like was written by people who died a long time ago. Even then I'm not sure I could critique any poem.

11. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

1. I don't critique poetry because I don't like it and can't tell a Keats from a dirty limerick. Most people on the forum are writing novels, so the novels (and short stories) get the most attention.

2. You've been defensive about feedback in the past. When I see someone arguing with critique or going into defense mode, I don't critique anything of theirs unless I see an attitude change.

3. You title your work "This is terrible" and "I'm not sure if I want to continue this." Either you're putting up crap for critique, which is disrespectful and pointless, or you're already in defensive mode before you've had a single critique. Neither inspires people to spend time helping you.

12. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

At the moment, I'm working on beta reading (and giving extensive feedback to) two forum members for their finished novels—with a couple of others waiting in the wings. I also promised two people I would write reviews of their published work on Amazon.

I love doing critique work for the novel section, and occasionally short stories as well, but I almost never touch poetry, flash fiction, scriptwriting, etc. There's just so much any one person can do. And I would also like a wee bit of time to work on my own as well.

Try to give people some time to look at your work. I know it's easy to want feedback NOW, and I hate waiting for responses as well. But everybody's got other committments and other projects.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    Simpson17866 likes this.
  13. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

I wrote a critique on Friday.

Then I deleted it, because even I recognised that it was too insulting. As far as anybody (except perhaps somebody who clicked on it in that couple of minutes before I deleted the post) knows, I haven't critiqued that work.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  14. Gadock

Gadock Active Member

Well you surely got your critique now by the looks of all other comments! :p

Simpson17866 likes this.
  15. Laurus

Laurus Disappointed Idealist Contributor

Aw man, all the good responses have been taken. I'll just give a mass +1 to all the above.

16. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Hey it's not his fault he's down wid de kidz. He's from da streetz man in his hood they only write in de cadence, yu not heard of da rythms of da streetz... he's lyke jimmy, from da dere 8 mile. You don wan to dis him man or he'll pop da cap in your ass

17. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Laurus likes this.
  18. waitingforzion

waitingforzion Banned

I would like to apologize to everyone for arguing about advice and critiques. I may not agree with everything you say, but from now on I will not argue against it. Please forgive me.

19. big soft moose

You said that last time too... I can't speak to anyone else but personally I'd take the line that actions speak louder than words

20. Laurus

Laurus Disappointed Idealist Contributor

Bruh.
    You wrote a poem in a perfect meter about how wrong everyone's advice is.
    You can blow it out your ass.

big soft moose, OJB and izzybot like this.
  21. big soft moose

You can up your fundament shove
    any thought of writing forum love
    if you think after this we'll give you crit
    you may find that no one gives a ....

Seren, Gadock and Laurus like this.
  22. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

TrollMeme.jpg

23. ChickenFreak

You've said this before. You've never held to it.

And what's with the ridiculous phrasing in the first post of this thread? Are you pretending that that's what normal non-Biblical writing looks like?

Write something, and read a book written in the past fifty years.

24. waitingforzion

waitingforzion Banned

I was just acting silly.

I don't have too many books written in the past fifty years. Most of the ones I do have are instructional. I will have to purchase some books or borrow some from the library. Can you recommend some?

25. ChickenFreak

Oh, no. I'm not falling into that trap. "A book written in the past fifty years" isn't the One Ring or some other hard-to-find quest goal. Go get one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.