1. waitingforzion

waitingforzion Banned

Is it bad to write poems in perfect meter?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by waitingforzion, Oct 9, 2017.

Some people have suggested that poetry written in perfect meter has hypnotic effects which distracts readers from the meaning of the words. Is this true?

I remember reading "The Raven" by Edgar Allan Poe and never noticed much variation in his meter.

If meter is best when varied then maybe I need to start varying my meter. But I have always preferred to read and write verses that are in perfect meter. I never liked reading poetry that was not in perfect meter, nor could I get the rhythm of it.

I apologize for complaining about advice in the past. If I don't like certain advice, I won't take it, but I won't argue or complain about it anymore. I will accept and consider it.

2. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

This entire thread is about challenging a piece of advice you just received - that the meter you chose for a particular poem wasn't effective for the critiquer.

This thread invites the whole forum to disagree with someone who spent time critiquing your piece.

It's bad form. It's rude. You're going to run out of people willing to spend time trying to help you.

3. waitingforzion

waitingforzion Banned

Well I apologize then. Maybe this thread should be locked.