A first person question

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by marcusl, Nov 7, 2009.

1. s.knight

s.knight Banned

well, remember the character is a living breathing person. So theres a good chance they have a cognitive ability by virtue of being human.

Perhaps its about being logical, creative and staying true to character.

After writing a rather patronizing and pretentious response my face turned purple, a shade of watered-down beetroot juice. How did I know my face turned purple?
    I could feel it, could feel the blood invading the capilleries. And I knew the score: when self-consciousness bites the ego, when the prickles creep, my face goes purple.

Thats why they call me Bobby Beetroot.

2. ithestargazer

ithestargazer Active Member

I agree that it's best to say what you feel instead of describe what happened, ie "I felt my face turning red," instead of "My face turned red."

Sometimes an action that is implied can work much better than simply stating that the action occured.

3. black-radish

black-radish New Member

I agree on this!

Also, it gives away more emotion. If you simply state "My face turned red" it's quite emotionless but when you say: "I felt my face turning red" it's more obvious that this person realises this and it emphasisis the embarressment because this person would also be embarressed by turning red.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i have to disagree... either of those choices could work well, depending on the context and the writer's style/voice...