1. Pheria

Pheria New Member

A friendly "hello" from germany!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Pheria, Aug 13, 2015.

Good afternoon/morning/evening, wherever you all are right now!

My name is Jacky, I am 21 years old and I live in Germany.
    I started writing at age 12, short stories in German, mainly. When my interests changed and I noticed I didn't reach anyone here with my writing, I switched to writing in English. Still, only short stories. Short stories which I have never shared with anyone but my close friends. Yet, I feel good about them.

I wouldn't consider myself to be a master of the English language, but I'd say I'm improving, day by day, and I have awesome friends who help me, proofread my stories and give me feedback on them. Recently, I have gathered all my courage and finally started on this one story, which has haunted my thoughts for at least two years. I'm planning to make it my first novel, and I am really excited about it!

I'm glad to be here and I'm looking forward to get to know you all and the stories in your heads and on the paper!

2. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Welcome to the forum! It's nice to meet other non-native speakers who have decided to write in English instead of their mother-tongue. :) It's a lot of work, for sure, but also sooo much fun. :D A German friend of mine who lives here in Finland is actually from Stuttgart. Never been there myself, but it must be nice. :)

Also, congratulations for having a novel in the making. That's great!

Anyway, without further ado, here's our New Member Quick Start to get you started. See you around!

-Kat

3. Song

Song Active Member

Welcome to the forum. :superhello:
    As an English Teacher, it's always nice to see a non-native speaker writing in English.

4. Pheria

Pheria New Member

Thanks for the welcome! :)

Yes! There aren't many people who decided to dive into another languages while writing. But honestly, English gave me another perspective and I like the sound of the language rather than German.
    Stuttgart is a nice, pretty city, but the people are quite square, which is a bummer! ^^

And yay, Song, thank you!

5. Olaf Blunk

Olaf Blunk Member

Hello there, neighbour. It´s a small world, isn´t it?

May I give you an advice, since I wrote my first novel in spring and got it published in summer?

Try united p.c., since it´s the only independant publishing house in Germany. They read your manuscript within a week, then they decide whether they publish it cost-free, paying you 10% per sold book after a number of 500 sold units - it´s kind of a "the door swings both ways" - deal. If they´re convinced of your book, they list it at all important bookstores and on amazon sites worldwide with a look-inside.

I really linked into your introduction, because I have the same doubts about my english, since I also wrote a full feature length movie script, called "The Code Of The Falcon". That´s why I really look forward to unlock the access to the Writing Workshop, in order to get feedback from native Americans about it.

How does it feel for someone to read a script about F.B.I., Washington, D.C., Drug Cartels and so forth, when a foreign person writes about it?

I especially hope for suggestions, advice and critique concerning the dialogues, because this is where the script mustn´t fail.