A Gay Captain America???

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Lewdog, May 25, 2016.

1. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Who is Bucky?

2. ManOrAstroMan

ManOrAstroMan Magical Space Detective Contributor

:eek:
    Bucky Barnes, aka, Winter Soldier

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

*a little backstory*

Bucky was also Steve's buddy before Steve became Capt. America. At the time, Bucky was everything Steve wished he could be. Tall, handsome, good with the dames. Steve desperately wanted to get into the army to do his part during WWII but kept getting denied for all kinds of health reasons and basic, all-around scrawniness.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. ToBeInspired

ToBeInspired Senior Member

Could care less if he was gay or not, but Captain America is suppose to be a comic book character designed to be the relfection of the perfect American. With everyone being more LGBTQ friendly, hell just make him a transexual and the next Civil War can be over bathrooms for all I care.

Man on man, woman on woman, man on woman, woman on man.

Looks pretty similar when typed out. Heh, I could see some funny penetration jokes though.

"I'm going to need you to penetrate past from behind the enemy..."
    "Already done, sir."
    "Wait' what?"
    "It was half off martinis at the Drunken Sailor."

And no, not being offensive to anyone who classifies themself as whatever they want. I live in Asheville and have pansexual and transexual friends. It gets so fucking weird up here that I stop trying to say him or her and just use avoid stating genders at all anymore.

"So, you were born a girl. You were straight. You then started liking girls. You switched to being a man. You now like girls who look like boys. They still classify themselves as girls. Sometimes they're boys too. I'm so fucking lost, I'm just going to call you by your name from now on."

5. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

I do know the voice actor for Elsa from Frozen wants the character to be gay. Which is perfectly okay since it's an original character with only one film and no romantic interest previously but for Captain America's sake, he can't be gay because he's romantically linked to Agent Carter in Civil War and even in the comics along with her aunt before he was frozen in time.

6. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

I'm going to throw you all for a loop and say I think Captain America should hook up with Hawkeye. Hawkeye just comes across as the type of guy that would get some gay stuff on the side, as a dominant over another guy. He would call the shots in the relationship with Cap and they would be totally behind the scenes.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  7. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I know some gay men who were married and have kids.

8. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

I have an awesome idea. Since Marvel is so progressive, I think that they should refuse to make another movie or tv show until every last single human being on the planet signs a petition endorsing the GLBT community.

9. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

Bisexuality.

10. ToBeInspired

ToBeInspired Senior Member

How about we start a new movement? Just kill off Captain America. Swap in Deadpool.

Logically he would have less than a 1% chance of having survived this far. His only defense against bullets and explosions is a shield that only covers a portion of his body.

His view of justice is in black and white. Morality works in shades. His unchanging attitude is more representive of a robot rather than a human being. He's the personification of elitist nationalism and I'm sorry, but I was never interested in boy scouts.

Kill the ones that need to be killed, i.e. The Joker.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
    Cave Troll likes this.
  11. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Turns out he can't have Deadpool either, since he has a thing for Spidey. Sorry Cap'n you will have to find somebody else.:superlaugh:
    Spiderman-y-Deadpool-11-vinetas-del-mejor-duo-comico-1.jpg

12. ManOrAstroMan

I don't see cap's morality as robotic. Inflexible, maybe, but having a strong code of ethics he isn't willing to toss aside isn't necessarily a bad thing. There are times when you need someone who won't get lost in murky shades of grey, who can cut through the crap and say This Is Wrong.
    And, hey, Bat Man wouldn't kill the Joker, and you can't call him a Boy Scout. In fact, when the personifications of the DC and Marvel universes met and fought, causing their respective characters to fight each other, Captain America and Bat Man were chosen to face each other and after a long stalemate, they decided it was stupid and got the two universal personifications to call it off.

Oscar Leigh and Wreybies like this.
  13. Wreybies

I also think that - as much as the fandom may cry out for it - Capt. America is the least credible personality to even give a small gay trist. His entire persona is so hinged on all the things he wanted to be, and most of his inner angst and turmoil comes from discovering, over time, again and again, that he's pretty much the only person telling the truth when it comes to striving for a set of ideals and everyone else is lying through their teeth and making prostitute of those ideals. To have him bend that way, in my opinion, regardless of how we may or may not regard his social ideals, would be to collapse his character's raison d'etre. Now, Tony, yeah, I don't see any reason why a gay relationship would really compromise the Tony-ness of Tony, and Bruce.... well.... You could almost draw a parallel between his struggle with also being The Hulk, and a gay dude's struggle with coming to terms with being gay. I actually really love Science Boyfriends. There's something so snuggly warm about the idea of curling up with Mark Ruffalo. :bigoops:

ManOrAstroMan and Oscar Leigh like this.
  14. ManOrAstroMan

But would the further development of his sexuality really be a compromise of his ideals? He's old-fashioned, but not a bigot. And if he expressed an interest in forming a relationship with a man, it would be an expression of his inner truth.

15. Wreybies

No, he's not bigot. He's a genuinely nice guy because for Steve, being a nice guy is the right thing to be, and also because of who he was before he became juicified. :ohno::-D He knows, better than most, what it means to be discounted and disenfranchised. But I still don't see his personality crossing that line. I mean... I don't know. I can see him holding on to Bucky as the last vestige of a former life, a life and culture that he understood, unlike the one in which he now lives where he is ever the stranger in a strange land, yeah, I can see that, but I just don't personally see that translating into making a lover out of Bucky. Don't get me wrong, no one would enjoy watching Chris Evans kiss Sebastian Stan on screen more than me, but.... :whistle:

ETA: In fact, I think if they were to ever include a genuinely gay character in the on-screen MCU, Steve's roll would be to play the "curious innocent", not in the least bit malicious, just behind the times, while everyone else would be some flavor of, "Yes, Steve, he has a boyfriend (she has a girlfriend). Catch up. We have shit to do."

ManOrAstroMan and Oscar Leigh like this.
  16. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

The solution to this is to not care. As fun as it would be to see them make out, (Sebastians Stan's played gay characters twice anyway so you can look those up to watch his gay smootchies) it's not really suitable. Not impossible, but not suitable. Marvel actually already has gay men. My personal favourites are the amazing couple of Wiccan and Hulkling who were involved in internal debate among the Marvel fandom about gay superheroes. (I'm of the opinion every reason not to do it was just an excuse for bigotry). Plus they have lesbians and bisexuals and Deadpool as mentioned is pan. They might even have a transgender in some obscure corner of the universe. They don't need to add it to other characters when they already have some.

17. Wreybies

:-D:-D:-D
    [​IMG]

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  18. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Damn. Beat me to it.

19. Nicoel

Nicoel Senior Member

Laughing a bit about this one. My dad sent me one of those chain emails about how if they make Captain America gay then they'll lose money the way Target has over this bathroom situation. Then, they said that was a good thing because "These progressive corporations will finally fall! We will win in the end!"

Also called them sodomists. Which, oddly enough, oral sex is added to that list. Never heard anyone say anything against oral sex.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  20. ManOrAstroMan

I agree about characters not being turned into token minorities. However, folks on the LGBTQIA spectrum do deserve A-list representation. Wiccan and Hulkling are amazing characters, but are known only to those seriously in the fandom. The more casual fan, who maybe has only been introduced to the fandom by the movies, will have no idea who you're talking about.
    And, if Steve's feelings were to progress from platonic to romantic love, it wouldn't mean he's suddenly gay and will be humping his way through the the male population. He could still long for his missed chance with Peggy or flirt with Nat. (Not that he'd really be consciously aware he actually is flirting; my headcanon has him being given careful Facts Of Life talks by the USO showgirls.) A person can be attracted to an individual without being attracted to their sex as a group. Basically, I could totally believe Steve as being specifically Buckysexual.
    And I say all of this not because I think it's what Marvel *should* do, regarding Steve, but *if* they did, it would be plausible and welcome.

21. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

Well he's not gay in the comics but that's of course can be changed in the movies and in the comics to actually (You never can be sure with as how many different writers they got going and corporate decisions they make). I don't really mind of course though as there are so many different versions of the character but its a bit creepy picturing Steve and Bucky together for me.

I'm used to reading the comics and Bucky's original comic self was more like Robin before he went Winter Soldier. He was like a kid (in his early to mid teens) fighting nazis and the Japanese (this we were WW2 comics) with an adult Steve Rogers.

Of course this isn't the same in the Marvel Movie Universe and they are pretty much the same age

Now this is correct Captain America does not have any evil bones in his body really and never judges others for their sexuality or skin color. Captain America is the heart of the Marvel universe.....well him and Peter. But interestingly enough Astro's description of the character is more developed in his Ultimate counterpart (aka Ultimate Captain America) and for the record the Ultimate Universe is a counterpart series of comics to just the main Marvel comic universe and its set in a more 'realistic' so to speak world.

So there was like Ultimates (aka the Avengers), Ultimate X Men, Ultimate Spider-Man etc

It was their way of introducing new readers in the 90s cause the main canon was so confusing.

That's just a little trivia.

BUT anyway Ultimate Steve Rogers is very different from his original counterpart. He's not a bigot and he's idealistic but he's much more conservative in some ways, critical of the modern generation and values in general. much more brutal in combat (from his military) and generally he acts more like an elderly person.

Given that he was frozen in the 40s and woke up in the present times.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  22. Lewdog

[​IMG]

Oscar Leigh and Cave Troll like this.
  23. Wreybies

Like when Ianto's sister grills him about his relationship with Jack and Ianto tells her, "It's not men. It's just him." :bigoops: I love Jack & Ianto. :-D

[​IMG]

ManOrAstroMan likes this.
  24. Lewdog

Someone needs to take this video, and put Cap and Bucky's faces over Jake and Heath's.

Cave Troll likes this.
  25. Shattered Shields

Shattered Shields Gratsa!

I love this thread. Some of the Twitter pictures in the link were hysterical.

Why is everyone making a big deal out of this now? Shippers have been making Cap swing all sorts of ways since his first movie, and probably even before then. But I also write fanfiction, so the actions of shippers really don't faze me anymore.

Oscar Leigh likes this.