A good reason for a character to feel uncomfortable in their own skin?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by DisFanJen, Nov 28, 2010.

1. DisFanJen

DisFanJen New Member

Look, I don't know if you feel you can't walk away from the thread until you feel you have won or if you are one of those people that argue for the sake of it, but your comments aren't helpful.

I will restate that I feel that you jumped to conclusions and that my words could have been enterpreted in more than just the way you decided to. But the more important point is that this isn't constructive and I specifically asked if we could get back on topic, which I hope was an obvious and polite enough request.

Either way I have a couple of good suggestions that I'm going to play with and see which one work, so this thread has served it's purpose.

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

undiagnosed schizophrenia
    multiple personality disorder
    reincarnation

3. Donal

Donal New Member

Not sure how extreme or everyday you want but it could be anything really that makes somebody feel uncomforabtle

- An only child, went to an all boys school, has professional and recreational interest in computers which make him socially awkward. However he is also smart enough to realise how socially inept he is which makes him dreadfully umcomfortable with himself.

- Or maybe he was in a relationship that failed. A partner who left him for another man (or woman) and makes him feel inadequate. Maybe make it that every time he gets aroused he associates that with the suffering and pain of losing his loved one to someone else.

- Or maybe give him a hidden talent that is unappreciated. He has an amazing gift for music for music or is an asipring screen writer and a few harsh reviewers and too many rejection letters have left him feeling like a loser. Show the reader how brilliant he is and yet have him convinced he is useless and terrible.

4. DisFanJen

DisFanJen New Member

I wanted something pretty extreme as it is to be an indicator.

Do you remember the film 'wanted' (A piece of dross, I know)? Well the storyline from the film has our MC having extreme panic attacks which turn out to be part of their supernatural ability for want of a better phrase.

This is pretty much what I am going for here.

I decided to change the way this is manifest, which is the reason for this thread and the reason the revision of the story is held up.

I've got a few more hours here I can use to work on it so I'm going to decide how to express it and try to get it done this evening.