1. Kimi-chan

Kimi-chan New Member

A little trouble with supporting characters

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Kimi-chan, Dec 9, 2011.

I'm actually having some trouble coming up with names for the supporting characters in my story. Mostly because its a Japanese kind of setting and all the characters are of the Japanese origin. I was wondering what the best way to come up with good names was for you guys. I usually like to make up the names but I've begun to realize how much harder it is to do that.

That's why I was wondering if anyone had any advice to give for coming up with these character names. The characters I have in mind are a few teachers at the twin's private school, the twin's parents, a good number of family members who can support the everyday trauma they have to deal with too... and plus the school nurse and the principal... and also a few of the bullies that pick on the twins too.

There are a lot of names to come up with and I want to make sure I can come up with some right ones for my story. :( So yeah, I'm only looking for some advice to how you guys come up with these names. ^^

2. FoxPaw

FoxPaw New Member

I usually use baby-name searches or search the meaning of names. (I don't always end up using a name because of its meaning. I just start there and find a name that sounds nice.) You could look up "list Japanese names" in the Google search bar and start there. =)

I do this for both first and surnames.

3. Pink-Angel-1992

Pink-Angel-1992 Active Member

I do the same as FoxPaw, I use baby name search engines. I read through and use (or note to create my own list for future reference) names that sound nice to me (at least from the way I prononce them). This - http://www.babynames.com/ - is the site that I go to first, because you can search the origans of names or search a meaning. You can use the site to search japanese name and it tells you whether there male, female or unisex. If there's a praticular beginning or ending you want for the character's name, you can also search that. I have two other baby name sites bookmarked, but that's the one I keep going back to. Hope it can help you.

You could also take not of names you like from books, movies cartoons etc that you like. I've done that.

4. Pink-Angel-1992

Pink-Angel-1992 Active Member

I do the same as FoxPaw, I use baby name search engines. I read through and use (or note to create my own list for future reference) names that sound nice to me (at least from the way I prononce them). This - http://www.babynames.com/ - is the site that I go to first, because you can search the origans of names or search a meaning. You can use the site to search japanese name and it tells you whether there male, female or unisex. If there's a praticular beginning or ending you want for the character's name, you can also search that. I have two other baby name sites bookmarked, but that's the one I keep going back to. Hope it can help you.

You could also take not of names you like from books, movies cartoons etc that you like. I've done that.

[Posted Twise :S]

5. Yuri Strike

Yuri Strike New Member

You can also use a romanji translator if you want the names to be unique and manga-sounding. However, I've forgotten the site...