A needed girl's perspective!

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by GuardianWynn, Jan 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Seraph751

Seraph751 If I fell down the rabbit hole... Contributor

When you talk about your girl and the traumatic event. It's almost like your saying because of this (traumatic event) she subconsciously did not want to put herself in that position again, or you can say she felt that for her maybe part of that life-changing event or maybe it could have acted like a wake up call. She decided to focus her efforts elsewhere, this does not mean that she forswears make-up etc., it just means that she wanted to and wants to focus her own growth in a different sense.
    Make up can be very empowering. For many of us it can be a confidence booster, our armor against a superficial society, a way we can mainstream or stand out. It would be up to your character's motivation for applying the make-up prior to the traumatic event that really determines her psychological stance on make-up after. Why did she originally apply make-up? What kind of people did she surround herself at that point in time. What was the culture around her? Upper class? Middle class? Lower class? (This can determine style of make up and goal of make up, but does not limit it).

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
    GuardianWynn likes this.
  2. GuardianWynn

GuardianWynn Contributor Contributor

I am surprised no one brought up this aspect before you.

The trauma had nothing to do with makeup. The idea was sort of like. Well, actually to quote my own writing. Well before that. It wasn't so much an event, as it was a realization. It would be hard to quote myself. So the idea to explain it would be like this. One time, when she was upset, she punched a statue and broke it. She was adopted, and this was a harsh reminder of that. As she knew she is genetically different.

She feared what she might become or do to other people. So she began to fear social situations and avoided them. She is afraid she would hurt someone she loves. So by avoiding the situations, something that is a confidence booster to those situations had no appeal to her.

I actually am making a point to say she never learned how to apply makeup properly.

As to answer your question. Her adopted parents are rich. Or upper middle class at least. Her culture is very much like modern America, law systems built to be fair(even if corruption leaks through) except her culture has a bit more emphsis on independance and finding your own way instead of relaying on instituions to teach you traits that are considered needed. If that makes sense?

3. Seraph751

So based on that realization and social stance I would say she wants to be as average as possible if she can or hold back some of her own innate talent if you are going that way. That way she can blend in better. I don't know if that helps. If I put myself in her shoes I would at least want to learn the bare minimum so I blend in with my peers. It makes it easier to hide that way. So then that leads to what is your society's point of view on make-up which when you say similar to Modern America we women kind of in a bind in some ways. Society dictates that we perfect ourselves.

Below are some links to take a look at some of the conundrums we as women find ourselves concerning make-up.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/katie-atkinson/media-beauty-distortion_b_3292467.html
    http://femmagazine.com/2015/01/29/the-normalization-of-makeup-how-society-has-redefined-the-natural-woman/
    http://elitedaily.com/women/wear-makeup-when-you-want/1031180/

To be honest though she sounds like a shut-in by circumstance. (Don't take that wrong way please). This is where you can focus on her character building. How she thinks, or does she desire social interaction but feels she cannot because she is different? The "What if?" or the "If I..." questions.
    Definition:

"Shut in
    Someone who doesn't like to deal with people all the time. That prefers staying at home and enjoying him or herself over going out with friends. Someone who prefers and embraces solitude and who finds it exhausting to be around large groups of people. Shut Ins, or Recluses as some put it our viewed negatively because they are misunderstood and labled as "weird", or "lacking social skills", this however is a major misconception. Many shut ins, or introverts actually have very good social skills but only use them in the given situation that they are in. They hate small talk and meaningless conversations. They prefer real talk, talk that has meaning and isn't a waste of their time and yours.
    Tammy always wanted Matt to go out every friday night but Matt never wanted too, always saying "I don't feel like it", Tammy would say "omg you are such a shut in! why don't you socialize and be outgoing like normal people?" Matt responded "define normal?"
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shut+in

She could be a NEET, however this does hold some negative connotations to it. In many Japanese anime (I am a geek lol) when the MC is a NEET they often times are drag out by friends/various outside forces/gods, goddess etc. and the character at that point builds upon why they became a NEET all they way through when they stop being a NEET or find a niche for themselves.

'"neet
    Another acronym from sociologists... NEET stands for 'Not in Education, Employment or Training'. I'm not sure, yet, whether it has any global significance or derogatory overtones. However, like chav, it seems to be particularly applicable to a social under-class lacking drive, motivation or ambition. I part this is due to poverty and lack of opportunity. But this burgeoning classification will soon become the darling of right-wingers."
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=neet

Hope this helps.

GuardianWynn likes this.
  4. GuardianWynn

Wow, seriously awesome. I wish I could like this twice. I love the time and care you put into the post.

And well yeah, acting normal to hide her abnormality is one way she could lean but so is shut in. Actually shut in describes her a lot better.

The idea is chapter 01 current opens on her in college. The idea is she goes to college, goes home, studies, sleep repeat. The only social connections she has is forced by school projects or by tutoring. She tutors to afford college.

Another layer is parental peer pressure, because of her worried self view, she tried to go to college not for herself but to meet her parental expectations.

Though, I see her as more avoiding makeup under the idealism of well two things. 1. She is kind of a tom-boy and just doesn't want too. 2. I could argue back saying that if she fakes social norms to hide her abnromality, she still has to practicipate. Which is her fear. So couldn't skills that are intended for something she is scared for also be something she is scared of? If that makes sense. :)

Thank you for the time and care you put into your post it is very much valued.

5. Seraph751

No problem this for me is a lot of fun!
    So in your argument, then you could say she is scared of losing her identity to society's ideals or is it deeper as to what we would define as human? Because if she is different on a genetic level that implies not human and she is who she is and does not want to change on anybody's whim but her own.

GuardianWynn likes this.
  6. GuardianWynn

If you are curious. I have the girl in action in this thread.

https://www.writingforums.org/threads/the-order-main-story-chapter-01-about-3k.139681/

No pressure or anything. I just figured you are new to the forum. A vague comment on how I have a piece might be mean if you didn't know how to find it. lol

Thank you for your kind words. :)

Seraph751 likes this.
  7. Seraph751

Do you mind I make comments as I read through the story?

GuardianWynn likes this.
  8. GuardianWynn

Oh of course I don't mind. I love any and all comments. :) The thought that someone enjoys my writing is one of the best feelings in the world.

I actually have a full 90k story on Valorie. I plan to re-write some chapters though. I want to redo that chapter one and move the framing outside of the opening classroom. I am just not sure a better framing yet. lol.

Though, no pressure. Only read the story if you want too. :) If you do. I hope you enjoy.

Seraph751 likes this.
  9. Seraph751

Thank you!

GuardianWynn likes this.