1. Griffin Frank

Griffin Frank New Member

A new sci-fi writer...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Griffin Frank, May 26, 2022.

Hello, everyone!

I've been writing since I was 10, or so. I was published on Amazon, but, then, who wasn't :)
    I'm looking to find friends among like-minded writers of all genres, actually. I've been on writing forums since the beginning of the internet, so, I'm really good at writing reviews :).

Thanks to the creators of this website, what a great place.

With respect,
    Griffin

Set2Stun, petra4, Daniil and 2 others like this.
  2. dbesim

dbesim Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

hi Griffin, :D

When you say you've" been on writing forums since the beginning of the internet" I assume you mean other writing websites besides this one?
    If so, you shouldn't be too overwhelmed with WF. Critique writing is an important aspect of WF.

Please also browse our writing contests - flash, story and poetry - contests. you could read and vote or contribute with the chance to earn a little medal.

3. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Could we get a little clarification—are you saying you're new to writing sci-fi, or just that you're new here? Either way, welcome aboard!

dbesim likes this.
  4. Griffin Frank

Griffin Frank New Member

Dbesim,

Yeah. I started in 1995, or around. Other writing websites. They weren't in English, though.
    My first writing forum in English was storiesspace.com about 10 years ago. I don't think it exists anymore. After that I was writing to publish on Amazon, for the most part. Also, there are many writing forums that are email-only. Did those, too.

Yeah, I agree, crits are the blood of writing interaction, for sure. And writers have to help each other.
    I just need a bit of clarification here - where to write those crits?

I will most definitely look into the writing contests, even as I do not normally engage in those. "A little medal". I like that. That was very sweet.

Thank you!

Xoic,

I'm not new to sci-fi, I've been writing ever since, oh, 4th grade? Obviously, that was just silly fan fiction (H.G. Wells and Stanislav Lem fan fiction) written on paper, before the computers. And thank you for welcoming me, I appreciate that!

Can anyone explain to me this line from the Intro letter I received from this forum:
    "Writing Workshops: you can post your WIP in our workshop after leaving two critiques. "

Question - WHERE do I find these Writing Workshops? Where do I leave the qualifying critiques?
    Like, for example, can I just go to "FAN FICTION" section and leave crits there?
    Or there is a special place where the crits count, and other places where the crits don't count?

Thank you for your help!

Xoic and dbesim like this.
  5. Mogador

Mogador Senior Member

dbesim likes this.
  6. dbesim

dbesim Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

^

Thanks @Mogador

This post pretty much answers your question.

Mogador likes this.
  7. Griffin Frank

Griffin Frank New Member

Got it, thank you very much!