Novel A novel without chapters

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Scot McPhie, Jun 10, 2013.

1. mg357

mg357 Active Member

EdFromNY: Yes sir as a matter of fact I was able to publish them.

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

self-published, or by a paying press?... and how many copies have sold to date?

3. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Is that relevant?

Regardless, I highly doubt that no chapter breaks would be a factor in determining if it sold or not. It's hardly off-putting at the purchasing stage. There are several examples cited already of books that work without chapters. The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

People that stick to conformity end up changing nothing.

4. raven6625

raven6625 Member

I'm with yokisho. I like to be able to say, "just one more chapter before bed", and know that there will be a neat place end to that piece of the stories ark.

5. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

@ Selbbin - yes, it's relevant because this is what the OP asked. Success in publishing a work such as this, whether in terms of acceptance by a traditional publisher or successful sales in self-publishing, would certainly count as feedback from readers.

Besides, when I see writers posting questions of the "would this work?" variety, I have to assume that they are asking with regard to acceptance by others (i.e. publishing success). Otherwise, why ask the question? If you are only writing for your own pleasure, then it only has to "work" for you.

6. mg357

mg357 Active Member

I actually am a member of an online story website were novels can be published for free, I don't make any money of course but that's alright with me I write for pleasure not for profit.

7. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I wasn't challenging you. I was just curious. The point I was getting at - because it was part of the question the OP asked - was that the only way to gauge reader feedback is how the work has actually done when presented to others. The OP did not state what, specifically, his goals were regarding readership. Was he looking to produce something that would please a select audience, such as members of an online website? Was he looking for something that would be considered a potential breakout bestseller? A success with the avante garde crowd? A beach-season page-turner? None of these are, in an of themselves, invalid goals, because the goal is personal to the writer.

So, when someone posts that they have written a certain way and have had success with it, that information is only helpful to the OP if the OP understands whether or not the success the method enjoyed is the same success he is looking for.

I'm sure Maia was getting at the same point.

8. mg357

mg357 Active Member

EdFromNY: I am sorry if I sounded harsh sometimes I can be harsh without realizing it.

9. Ellsbeth

Ellsbeth New Member

Chapters make my life easier, I always read until the next chapter before I go to bed, and occasionally if each chapter ends well enough I say to hell with it ill finish after the next one. Game of thrones tends to have the same effect on me, I pull all nighters to watch it in one sitting because I cant tear myself away.
    Also I find chapters that end with a 'oh my goodness moment' and make me have to turn the page cause great emotion at times. 'I don't know what will happen when I turn this page "omg omg omg omg please don't let it be him!"'
    I have read a few books containing no chapters and found it easier to put down, and usually in the middle of an important scene, having to re read where I was up to and loosing the rush I got from the story.

10. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I like chapters - it gives me a place to stop. If I'm really into the book, I dislike stopping midway through the scene/chapter and then having to find exactly which sentence I ended on. Whereas with a chapter, you know where you left off - just go to the beginning fo the chapter, of course! Mind you, with ebooks, I find this is less of a problem - I don't care much for chapters in an ebook, no idea why.

Bookmarks wouldn't be necessary if you were only going for ebooks, though it is a lovely idea for printed ones. However, going for self-pub, I wouldn't advise you to go for printed copies, at least not from the beginning.