1. struggler

struggler Member

A question about cover art

Discussion in 'Cover Design' started by struggler, Jul 8, 2012.

So I'm writing a book and if I get published I was wondering who decides what the front cover of the book looks like? Is it solely the publishers choice or does the author get some input? I happen to have a friend whose dream is to make cover art for books. They've graduated from uni with a bachelors of graphic design and works as a graphics designer full time so they do know a bit about creating that stuff.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It's the publisher's decision. They may or may not listen to your suggestions or wishes on the matter, and they will almost certainly make their own choice of artist/illustrator.

It's a business and marketing decision, and selecting a friend for the job is a questionable business practice (cronyism). Don't expect to win.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

yup!... that...

4. Show

Show Contributor Contributor

I imagine the publisher will decide all that. Be glad they'll even let you write the story. ;)

5. bo_7md

bo_7md New Member

For a first time writer, just give them the MS, sign the contract and walk away. Later on if you get a third or a fourth deal you can get a say on what goes into or onto your book.

Unless your contract specifies otherwise, assume that you won't have a say in marketing and publishing.

6. maidahl

maidahl Banned

Yeap. I googled it. Everybody else is right. I'm waiting for the next post to agree with me again.

7. Steph4136

Steph4136 New Member

I have something in mind that I'd like to see on the cover of my book, but will leave it up to the experts. I'm not exactly a pro when it comes to graphics.

8. maidahl

maidahl Banned

So we're all in accord? Leave it to 'em? Their choice?

9. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Yes, the publisher will likely have artists in mind, but may take suggestions, especially if they're a small publishing house.

If your friend is intested in doing your cover (if/when you find a publisher), it would benefit him/her to get some experience, creating covers for small publishers and even some self-published authors. If nothing else, it will provide a sort of portfolio to point to and demonstrate the type and quality of covers your friend can produce. Plus, your friend could earn some money for the effort and experience.

10. Quabajazzi

Quabajazzi Member

What if you want to draw the cover art of your own book? (assuming you are a good and at least semi professional artist, so not stick people)

11. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

That would be something to take up with the publisher. But as others have said, the cover is a marketing decision, which they will almost certainly decide is their ambit rather than yours.

12. Quabajazzi

Quabajazzi Member

Ooh thanks Banzai. I don't fully understand the self publishing either; would that lead your story to get lost in all the others?

13. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Self-publishing gives you control over it, so you could use your own artwork, but there are serious drawbacks to self-publishing. The arguments are many, long and tiresome for me to relate them all here, but if you delve back into older threads in the Publishing forum you're sure to find discussions of its merits and problems :)

14. Complex

Complex New Member

Its far easier to state what you would 'NOT' want to see on the cover of a book and have the publisher agree to it then what you want it to be. Some books have particularly bad covers. Really bad ones which show up with a google search for them. Couple of the memorable ones are covers of 'Everyone Poops' and 'The Rifleman'. 'The Rifleman' cover made me laugh for about 15 minutes straight when I first saw it. That an Trixie Belden #1. As long as it isn't like those, I'd be happy. For me, its no inexplicably placed penil puns or visual puns on a serious book. Preferably double-checked with a ten year old boy before production begins, if they find it hilarious then you know you've got a problem.

15. Steph4136

Steph4136 New Member

I just googled Rifleman and yeah, that is pretty funny stuff. Hahaha

16. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

I'm sorry for your friend but its the publisher committing himself to the project and taking the financial risk. He's also the one hopefully, with the knowledge of what will catch readers' eyes. Go with him. But if he says yes, there's nothing to stop you taking whatever your friend has come up with and if you think its cool, suggesting it to the publisher.

Cheers, Greg.