A Riddle

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mugen shiyo, Dec 22, 2011.

1. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

The notions of (romantic) love, of family, and of caring about someone else/ others (genuinely, and way beyond 'lust') et al are some of the things that make this world good. How it came about isn't really important. Many things have changed since prehistoric times, as they should do. What of it?

As for marriage, should I ever get married, it's not because I'm being controlled - or owned - by anyone. Very outmoded school of thought.

2. mugen shiyo

mugen shiyo New Member

Bingo. Case solved. I was trying to word the feeling I had that most relationships I've heard of, if any, never seemed to characterize what love was supposed to be. What you said reminded me of what I heard on the history channel one day- the idea of love coming some time in the Middle Ages from the Troubador's or something. (I think it was 'The Plague') On the other hand...it sounds like I am a huge buzz kill or some rainy cloud for saying that, but it seems even more true now. "Love" adhere's to lies, or at least the fantasies we conceive about one another. (but as not to ruin the holiday, Merry Christmas, all :p )

3. Lightman

Lightman Active Member

This is simply not true. Marriage has existed through disparate cultures; the fact of the matter is that it is vastly evolutionarily preferable for humans to be engaged in more or less monogamous long-term heterosexual relationships (this isn't a social judgement - I'm merely speaking historically).

Saying that love is invented isn't entirely accurate; the "modern" form of its expression is relatively recent, and the idea of companionate marriage even more so (dating to Martin Luther), strong attachment between two human beings has existed basically for as long as the species has been in its current, recognizable form.

Supposed to be according to what conception? A Disney movie's?

4. mugen shiyo

mugen shiyo New Member

True. Not all forms of love, just the romantic version you see hyped all around you. The kind that leave people depressed because they are looking for the perfect love they've always heard, read, and saw all around them.

Yes, actually, lol. That and numerous other places. Don't tell me you had a mature sense of what love was when you were 5 years old. Or even 15, and maybe not even at 25. But as opposed to most relationships I see, I think that has less to do with love not existing rather than having to do with relationships formed out of need, familiarity, misinterpretation of each persons feelings, or just flat out a bad match.

1 person likes this.
  5. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I don't know why, but this post cheered me up. I'm giving you rep.

This was not a riddle then. Really.

6. mugen shiyo

mugen shiyo New Member

You mean the original post or the above part? If the above part, not sure what you mean. If the original post, yeah, it started as one, but obviously I've given the subject some thought :p

7. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

Seconded.