Tags:
  1. Scoobyslippers

Scoobyslippers Member

A tricky conundrum

Discussion in 'Non-Fiction' started by Scoobyslippers, Feb 23, 2020.

Morning all!

I am currently drafting a book on the art of career development. The premise for the book is very simple. Each chapter will be dedicated to topic that has played a part in my own career development and covers things that went well and lessons learned. At the end of each chapter I will be adding a real life amusing story from my career (there are plenty!) that illustrates a point being made in the preceding chapter (for example the time we convinced a colleague he could talk into a fax machine and be heard at the other end!).

My question please is, given that I have recounted some of the stories many times I am sure that they have 'evolved' somewhat in the telling and also wary of the fact that they relate to real people. I will be taking precautions by changing names, company references, etc as I do not want is to get sued!

My question is how far that anonymised approach should be taken? I can be creative and change the story I recount but then that loses the reality of the event and the resonance with the point I am making in the book. Any thoughts would be highly appreciated please?

Scoobs

2. Cdn Writer

Cdn Writer Contributor Contributor

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America
    Currently Reading::
    TRYING (!!!) to read Eric Flint's "Ring of Fire" series.......it's soooo many books!!!!!
    Check with a lawyer?

I don't see a need for changing the story (I'm not a lawyer) as long as you don't identify the company or the individuals involved by name.

Scoobyslippers likes this.