A x-ray of an one hit wonder...

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by irite, May 29, 2018.

1. mashers

mashers Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer

It’s not my fault. I’m from Colchester. It’s an affliction on many levels.

matwoolf likes this.
  2. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

You're safe now.

Alan Aspie and EstherMayRose like this.
  3. matwoolf

Well, I've come back to the North that I departed in '73. The chaps, I find, by and large accept me for my ponce-gob, soften gibberish something something...

But I recall - working with my Sussex ruffians - back in the day - the ethno-hostility toward the Yorkshire 'mob' contractors. Of course, it was tongue in cheek. Sometimes I wasn't so sure.

My main problem is my falsetto greeting - the 'hi,' or 'ged minning.' Planning to drop it an octave, give my presentation some oomph/gravitas.

4. irite

irite Member

I'm guessing if you were teased about your southern accent, then they were northerners... If so they were jealous you even had a bath let alone took a bath (I'm from the south in case it doesn't show)... Also nowdays having a baf is a word for, er, well, female alone time for a bit of DIY

EstherMayRose likes this.
  5. matwoolf

It has always been an option.

6. EstherMayRose

EstherMayRose Gay Souffle Contributor

Yeah, North Wales. My current school is an independent school, so we've got a bit of a different pool of accents.

7. matwoolf

Some of those North Welsh people struggle at university with their frogs and spells - amidst the hearty Berkshire types. It's the never-ending struggle.

8. irite

irite Member

I shouldn't be so rude, thats one of my favourite parts of the UK. One of the oddest thing I've heard was from the farmer at the Llanberis campsite, when i told him I was going up Glyder Fawr and accross to Fach, he recoiled, his eye's went all big and he said, "bloody steep up there boy I tell you, even the sheep don't like it up there". It was like a horror film when the locals in the pub hear you talk of a legend and they go silent then the old man in the corner says we don't talk about the legend round here... I don't know how I stopped myself laughing.

9. EstherMayRose

M'afraid those place names mean nothing to me.

10. irite

irite Member

Snowdonia, Llanberis is pretty much Snowdon itself, Glyders are names of peaks. Glyder Fawr/Fach are the other side of the valley to Snowdon.

matwoolf likes this.
  11. EstherMayRose

Yeah, Llanberis rang a bell. I've been to Snowdonia many times. I did my DofE practice expedition there. We might actually have camped at Llanberis. I once went up Snowdon on the train with school, and then at the top everyone bought stuff that said "I climbed the hard way"!

12. srwilson

srwilson Senior Member

I've lived in London for the last 20 years now and was born in Essex, lived there for 10 years, but have never ever heard people say 'yourn' or 'hern'. However, strangely enough, when I lived in Norfolk, people sometimes would say 'yourn'. I think it's very rare.

13. srwilson

srwilson Senior Member

Not quite. It's the eff sound.

14. srwilson

srwilson Senior Member

This one's is a real silly one. IMO the very soft 'h' in history is just as soft a the 'w' in well. People say 'an historic event' because the h is soft, but yet they don't say 'it was an well'. So really this doesn't make sense.

I wouldn't joke about the 'haitch', because it is genuinely catching on.

15. srwilson

srwilson Senior Member

I hear 'erb' a lot in the US, but never in the UK, unless it's a mispronunciation. You can't call it an accent, it's dropping the 'h', so it's really just laziness.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  16. srwilson

srwilson Senior Member

What's also becoming popular in London, is 'a egg', where 'an' is like some alien word!

17. mashers

Of course it is. Omitting initial ‘h’ is a feature of many English accents.

Actually a glottal stop requires more energy to produce than /h/, so technically it’s more lazy to pronounce the ‘h’.

18. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I don't follow this - there's no consonant sound at all when I pronounce "historical" and there's a clear consonant sound when I pronounce "well". I've got a pretty standard Canadian accent - what accent do you have?

ChickenFreak likes this.
  19. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

nope, if it's said EFF Ayee Quuee then its An because Efff starts with an e

If however you say it FACK like nearly everyone does then due to FFFF being a consonant sound its 'a'

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    Alan Aspie likes this.
  20. srwilson

srwilson Senior Member

Dropping the 'h' might be associated with accents, but if you say phone instead of telephone, that's not an accent, it's a contraction. Dropping 'h' is literally a contraction.

A glottal stop might use more energy (well, debatable), but it's still easier to pronounce.

21. srwilson

srwilson Senior Member

I have a mostly Essex, England accent. I don't know what you mean by 'consonant sound'. Do you say 'history' as if there is no 'h'? And how would you say 'well'? Does it sound similar to the name 'Manuel', if you remove the 'man'?

22. mashers

What does that have to do with it? There are several ways of contracting words. Removing syllables is a morphological change associated with dialect. Removing phonemes is a phonological change associated with both accent and dialect. I don’t really know why this is a point of discussion.

No, it isn’t. A glottal stop is pronounced by completely adducting the vocal folds. The diaphragm is then engaged which increases both sub- and intra-glottal pressure. The vocal folds are then rapidly abducted, and the sudden release of pressure is what makes the sound. A /h/, in contrast, is made with a completely open glottis. There is no vocal fold adduction, and nether sub- nor intra-glottal air pressure, or resistance to the flow of air of any kind. So a glottal stop is objectively ‘harder’ to pronounce.

23. EstherMayRose

Go Mashers.

24. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I usually pronounce the "h" in history, but I don't usually pronounce any "h" in historic or historical.

And, no, I'd pronounce Manuel as three syllables... Man-u-el... I don't pronounce "well" as "u-el". I don't know of a way to indicate the pronunciation of "well" other than just how it's written... a "whu" sound at the start, followed by "ell", but all one syllable... How do you pronounce it?

25. srwilson

srwilson Senior Member

Well, you've used lots of interesting words, but not accurately.

Vocal chords take less energy to control than the diaphragm. Saying a fully pronounced 'h' (like you would say 'huh!') requires considerably more control of the diaphragm and takes more energy. It also DOES require a contraction of the glottis. It also does involve considerable air pressure, almost as forceful as the 'explosion' of the hard consonants, such as 'p'. Unless you have a very different way of pronouncing it!