1. Youssef Salameh

Youssef Salameh Senior Member

About a dense short story.

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by Youssef Salameh, Oct 14, 2012.

Hello. Would like to ask a question regarding a compliment sentence that many writers really deserve, of course positively.
    My question is: Sometimes you may read the following "The story is great; very fast paced; or rocket paced; it has so many twists etc...
    Of course with ALL respect to all successful writers, does the above compliments include a dense event stories? I mean, in other words, could so many events be included in a short story that includes around 4000 characters; could it be considered successful?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Compliments are pretty useless feedback anyway, unless combined with specific recommendations on how to imporove the story.

If you think a story tries to pack too much story into too fewe words, say so, and give examples from the text.

3. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

What? I don't understand your question. If you are the author and you don't agree with a compliment, then well, either you're doing something better than you think or you know you can do even better, in which case, keep working on it. If you're not even the author, who really cares...? Whether you feel a piece is a success is sometimes quite subjective - what's too slow for one critic could be just right for another, etc.

4. Youssef Salameh

Dear Mr. Cogito,
    Thanks so much for your answer. Really appreciate it. Just wanted to ask to know if a short story could be written where SO MANY fast events may happen in it; while still maintaining its thrilling effect as a successful story. That's according to some admired critics, whom i respect, who see the same, i.e, that so many events could be contained in a short story.
    But you have answered my question.
    If you may have any other answers, then am ready to read.
    Sincerely yours,
    Youssef Salameh

5. Youssef Salameh

Dear Mr. McKK,
    Thanks so much for your answer, it really helped a lot in understanding. Maybe it was difficult for me to express my question, however you have answered it correctly also.
    To clarify my question after your permission, its as follows: When a great writer publishes a story, it gets praised by many important critics saying that its contents are "fast paced, rocket pace, etc.." So, does this mean that any story that contains so many events could be written as a SHORT story? Do the critics have a deeper meaning in their comment? That was my question.
    Again, you have answered my question correctly.
    If you may have any other answers, then am ready to read.

Sincerely yours,
    Youssef Salameh

6. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

Writing is fluid as an art. Just like movies, a book or story can 'feel' like it contains more than the sum of it's collective parts. It depends a lot on the writers skill.

Yes, you can fill a lot in 4000 words, but you need to be very good at what you do to make it 'feel' big and action-packed.

7. Youssef Salameh

Thanks so much Mr. JJ_Maxx, your answer also is the one which i was seeking. Its really satisfying.