Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StartWritingNoMatterWhat

StartWritingNoMatterWhat New Member

Abstract and abstraction

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by StartWritingNoMatterWhat, Jun 6, 2022.

“a story must abstract from life to discover its essences, but not become an abstraction that loses all sense of life-as-lived.”

Excerpt From
    Story
    Robert McKee

I understood the first part which is (we create fiction from real life) but couldn't understand the meaning of the second sentence. In layman terms, what is the meaning of it?

2. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I don't know, I'd interpret as, 'Art should draw inspiration from judiciously chosen real experiences, but not so excessively that the reader finds it unrecognizable'

Or

'A story that shouldn't be too realistic, but also not so unrealistic that the reader can't connect with it.'

I don't like the quote because the adjective 'abstract' and the verb 'abstract' are somewhat different. Actually, the verb 'abstract' itself has two meanings that are a little different.

I don't know though, I can be a little dense with these types of things.

Not the Territory likes this.
  3. Hammer

Hammer Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

This has a feeling of "homework" which is not something that we do on this forum, so I am closing it to further replies

Homer Potvin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.