1. Wayfarer33

Wayfarer33 New Member

Academic Papers - Previous Publication?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Wayfarer33, Jul 10, 2015.

I had a paper accepted for the annual conference of an academic society, but it's quite unrelated to the story I'm trying to get published. I'm trying to figure out if I should mention this in a cover letter. As an undergrad planning on grad school, it's a big deal for me, but I'm not sure how relevant, much less impressive, it would be to an editor. I guess it shows I can write, but is he likely to think a scholarly sort of skill set lends itself to fiction?

2. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

As far as I know, if it doesn't have anything to do with your story, they're not interested in it. You could still mention it - I don't think it'll count against you? But I wouldn't expect it to help, either.

Wayfarer33 likes this.
  3. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I'd leave it out. They're looking for relevant prior credits, not random ones.

TWErvin2 and Wayfarer33 like this.
  4. Wayfarer33

Wayfarer33 New Member

Thanks. I don't want to draw the wrong kind of attention, or come off as an amateur - especially a pretentious one.