Act One Discussion

Discussion in 'Role Play Discussion' started by Domino355, Dec 25, 2016.

1. MagicPenguin

MagicPenguin Active Member

Making their walls out of wood instead of stone is a pretty bold choice for the humans, considering they're surrounded by Khaline's people. Those things would probably burn down pretty quickly under enemy fire, or even by mistake by someone inside who accidentally drops a torch or something. They'd also be pretty easy to batter down forcibly as opposed to stone, I think...Then again, with so many mages running around inside, maybe they feel confident they could stop any attackers regardless of the strength of their walls or that they could put out any fire on the walls with relative ease. Or maybe, with that being the headquarters of COMPBAD and that being the gathering place of so many of different races, they feel their settlement is neutral ground and are confident no one will attack them, so they feel no need for stronger walls... They might also feel less need for strong defenses because Realiti is always so close by and therefore at hand to punish anyone that tries to storm them...

Either way, wooden walls says to me the humans feel awfully confident that either they won't get attacked or that they can handle attackers with ease even if they are.

2. Domino355

Domino355 Senior Member

Not only do they have wizards, they have a goddess who can erase anything with a thought. I think they'll be alright

3. MagicPenguin

Say, how many soldiers does the Imperial Yammu Army consist of? Also, how many Freeswimmers are currently gathered in the Northern Rephlonian Ocean and how many are still roaming about in Ignus's ocean? Third, I know there are currently only six dragons that can fly, but how many are there total and how many are capable of combat, naval or otherwise, should the Dragon-Freeswimmer alliance come to fruition? Lastly, what combat abilities and attributes do Yammu and Dragons have in general? Can Dragons breathe fire, or swim underwater without breathing, or are they very strong or resilient or fast compared to Yammu, etc.? Yammu are probably better swimmers, naturally, but are they generally faster or stronger or more resilient compared to Dragons? Are they capable of walking on land or completely restricted to the water? Do either of them favor a certain type of weapon or fighting style? I'm trying to compare and contrast physical abilities, traits, weapons, powers, numbers, and other such things like this to decide how Yurius will try and direct the Freeswimmers to proceed.

4. Domino355

Domino355 Senior Member

Umm wait with that actually. I want for @halisme to answer the dragons' questions first (especiallythe 'Meaning of Life' one). That'll give me a better picture of how they'll respond to Yurius's offer.

As for powers and numbers. The Imperial Yammu army is nubered by the hundreds of thousands, while the Toothed on Rephlon are about one fifth of the population, but have a higher percentage of warriors making their army size about one quarter. Their teeth give them a slight edge in one on one combat, though the use of harpoon bows migates that advantage. The Yammu are natural swimmers, stronger than humans and even most variants of Simians, but can't breathe outside water. They can hold their breath for an admirable amount of time, and can stick their heads above the surface for approximately half an hour at a time. Their fins, however, make it impossible for them to actually function on land.

Dragons are creatures made of fire and magma, making their skin hard to penetrate. They are intelligent, and very long lived, but breed very slowly. They breath fire, and eat magma, and as shown with the moon, can hold their breath for extreme lengths. Their main weakness is, however, that merely touching water deals them excruciating pain, but isn't lethal, unless they're fully submerged, which makes them drowb quite quickly. They are also aster crafters, second only to the forge goddesses themselves (Tesni and Ignus)

5. gibble410

gibble410 Contributor Contributor

In the future they are changing their walls to stone with Realities help:D

6. MagicPenguin

What about the Dragon they held at the bottom of the sea for a time? Did that one die right away? Is its body still down there or has it since been liberated from Marama and/or the Imperial Yammu? If it is still down there, where down there would it be? If it still is, I have a mind to instruct the Freeswimmers steal it back by force from the unsuspecting Imperials in a surprise raid in order to send a message to both the Imperials and the Dragons alike that the Freeswimmers aren't playing around anymore.

Also, could you tell me a bit more about the harpoon bows the Imperials use? How it works underwater and all that? I ask because I had a similar idea for an underwater projectile that I was going to introduce at some point as well and I'd like to see how their bows would compare in range and power to what I'd like Yurius to introduce to the Freeswimmers. My idea is a speargun, similar to what people in the real world use for underwater fishing. It doesn't have much range, about 7m, but not much really CAN have range when you're trying to shoot a projectile against the resistance of water and any ability to deal death at a distance is better than none.

The idea was inspired by this:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  7. halisme

halisme Contributor Contributor

The one that was at the bottom of the sea was the one Arzian freed to make his sea beast from.

8. MagicPenguin

Well, I guess they'll have to find another way to send their message, then. It's interesting, though, because if it was completely submerged in the ocean before Arzian found it, it should have been dead.

9. Domino355

Domino355 Senior Member

The thong about the sea dragon is that it was taken there by Marama, who warped it into a sea creature. So it survives under water. And that dragon is the one Arzian freed, but the Yammu later captured it. And that's what started the war.

10. Domino355

Domino355 Senior Member

The harpoon were invented by the Yammu to compensate for the loss of their teeth. It's a hunting device, which basically shoots these harpoons that have ropes attatched to them. It has a short range, so you need a hunting party to first surround the creature, then fire at it with all their weapons, attatching themselves to it.

11. gibble410

In my new post Realiti is going to a COMPBAD meeting, creating new worlds, dealing with Chanters aches, dealing with the new additions to COMPBAD and then will do something with Abel or the New Worlds maybe. That good?

12. MagicPenguin

Okay, so is the sea dragon still down there as a Yammu prisoner, or is it somewhere else now? Also, my post is not going to talk about whether or not the Dragons accept the proposal for an alliance. It's going to end with Yurius returning to the counsel to ask for their help once again, after he helps the Freeswimmers capture a fortress outside of the Imperial Capital. He hopes that their resounding victory in a first battle will convince the Dragons that they are powerful, united, and they mean business and that this will persuade them to accept the alliance. I won't say whether they do or not, though. Can I post that, or should I still wait for Arzian to answer the questions?

13. Domino355

Domino355 Senior Member

Then I don't really mind.

14. MagicPenguin

I apologize for the length of this post. I had a lot I wanted to get through and describe.
    Here is an image of the important features of the Outpost Fortress for clarity. There are tiny holes carved into the outer walls and the walls of the naturally-formed hallway between the two gates. Defenders can fire harpoons at attackers through them. There's no ceiling on the inside, but the walls extend above the ocean surface, so it is inaccessible to Yammu in the water outside the fort as an entrance. The open top can be used to transport goods in a siege by various means so they cannot be easily starved out.

15. halisme

Umm, the one Arzian freed he literally morphed into a sea monster that he now calls Belzian.

16. gibble410

Domino, I left the conference scenario up to you, in case you had something you wanted to be done. Also, the new planets are up and going except for Module Time if you all are going to planet hop.

17. Domino355

Domino355 Senior Member

Yeah, I'm just waiting for @halisme to answer the dragons' questions and call the meeting of the gods

18. MagicPenguin

Your post says that planets other than the ice one won't be habitable for "several years." What year might it be feasible to transport people to different planets, particularly Fring? It might not be right away, but I might do something with that in some future post.

19. gibble410

I am going to have Realiti check them out after the conference, and then do something with them. So anytime after Realiti leaves the conference is good, and the only planet not ready is Module Time. I have no problem if someone wants to go there, but it will officially be opened/finished in about 400. So 27 more years IGT!

20. MagicPenguin

Gotcha. I'll wait until after the conference to start playing with that.

Also, here's something I've been wondering about Arzian for a while. So, I've heard it said multiple times that the source of his knowledge is that he knows everything that every existing being knows, either consciously or unconsciously, which makes sense in and of itself (I could be mistaken about this and I apologize if so, but that's how I've interpreted what has been written so far). But, in that case, how does he know things that nobody else knows the answer to? For example, when he was describing how the Gods relate to their aspects, whether killing one kills the other and so forth, how does Arzian know this if none of the other Gods know for certain just what the relationship is? For a question like, "What is the purpose of life," a lot of people argue about what it is (seriously, if you asked every one of our characters, each would probably give a different answer), but can it really be said that some being out there "knows" what the true answer is with certainty? There are a lot of different opinions and, whether one is correct or not, how would Arzian know that for sure if no one else does? Does he have a source of knowledge beyond the collective knowledge of all beings in existence to draw from for questions like these that have no definitively known answer?

Edit:

I didn't want to double post to say this, but just letting everyone know I updated Borin's template to reflect his lost nature abilities and his gained light abilities post year 350. I also added light and dark spirits to the list of elemental spirits with a description of their abilities.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  21. Domino355

Domino355 Senior Member

@halisme waiting for your post to start the gods' conference.

22. halisme

Sorry for taking so long. Uni just started back up so a hectic week.

23. Domino355

Domino355 Senior Member

Oh, I understand. And umm, I thought we were going to wait for the others gods to show up as well, seeing that it's only Eliphon, Yurius and Arzian.

24. halisme

You put waiting for my post to start it, so I thought that everyone was there.

25. Domino355

Domino355 Senior Member

I meant start and invite everyone. But never mind, I can work with it.