Tags:
  1. Commander Vimes

Commander Vimes Member

Adding in Subplots

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Commander Vimes, Jul 24, 2018.

So I'm nearing the end of my first write through for a novel I'm working on, pretty much wrote as it came into my head with a bit of planning for the main plot.

On reaching the conclusion though I've found that it is a little short for novel length, sitting at approximately 60k words.

I'm thinking that I may need to add in an additional subplot or two in order to add some more depth.

So I was wondering, whether people had tips or ideas on how to do this/how they do this without disrupting the flow of the main plot and making it look like a bolted on section of story.

2. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

Ideally, imo, your subplots grow out of and support the main plot. I'd try to think of ways you could make your character arcs stronger, reinforce any themes, possibly worldbuild if applicable, help with tone-setting and atmosphere.

Once the novel's done, you'll be able to look at it as a whole, and trust me: you'll find a lot to tinker with. I'd prioritize quality and I'll bet you the extra words will turn up.

3. Lew

Lew Contributor Contributor

Right, as @izzybot said, subplots should not be added to make some predefined length. They should support the main plot. 60K, maybe 70K may be a good length for you depending on genre, especially as a first time writer. BTW, congrats on closing in on the finish line ... a lot of writers don't get that close! Finish first, then go back and see if you need to add stuff.

Subplots are easier if you have a lot of characters. My two books (one finished, sequel in work) have around ten main characters, and many of them have a character arc, and the actions driving their their arcs are the subplots. The overall plot to my first book was: "Romans go to China on diplomatic mission by ship, bad people trying to steal their ships and loot. Trouble in the court involving woman, soldier and Roman honor/concept of citizenship and justice. Escape the court, return overland, bad people trying to kill them. " But all the individual character arcs play a role in supporting or opposing that flow. Depending on when/where things are happening one of those characters may take the lead for a while, then situation changes and another is on stage. Not that I knew what I was doing when I was writing it, it just worked out that way. If I had planned it out beforehand, I never would have written it!

BTW, The Eagle and the Dragon tipped the scales at 240K words, 550 paper pages, so a lot of subplots can really make for a long book!

Infel and Commander Vimes like this.
  4. Commander Vimes

Commander Vimes Member

Thanks for the advice. This all sounds reasonable. I guess I have found myself to be a fairly sparse writer on the first run through, so I shall do an edit and further Draft to buff out what I already have, add missing details and worldbuild etc, and if anything obvious pops up as an additional plot line I'll consider it but only if it adds to the main plot.

Wow! That's a hefty book! I think at my current rate of writing I'd still be here in about 20 years and not have completed that much :p

5. Lew

Lew Contributor Contributor

Well E&D started 20+ years ago (1995 the oldest file), though with a 13 year gap in the middle when nothing much happened. I am working on the sequel, The Long Road Back to Rome. same ten characters, ten years on, spread from Mongolia to China, the Middle East to Italy, getting sucked into the maelstrom of the Roman invasion of Mesopotamia in 115AD. Some interesting character arcs, some of the characters were minor background characters, now with major roles to play in LRBTR. I am 75K words into that so about 1/4-1/3 done. Can't spend 20 years on this one or I will be 90 when it hits the street.

Commander Vimes and Siberian like this.
  6. Zerotonin

Zerotonin Serotonin machine broke

You could add an evil twin.

Commander Vimes likes this.
  7. Infel

Infel Contributor Contributor

I agree completely with @Lew ! Your novel should only be exactly as long as it needs to be, and its length should be judged by the flow of tension: you build up tension to your climax, have the hero face the ultimate challenge, and then wrap up the book succinctly within reason. Adding additional subplots that aren't organic to the story will just pad the length, and with your story at 60k words that seems like a fantastic length to leave it. As you review and edit, you'll find plenty of places that merit additional words anyway: don't make it longer just for lengths sake!

Commander Vimes likes this.