Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NateDoggy

NateDoggy New Member

Adoption?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by NateDoggy, Oct 9, 2008.

Okay this is not my goal in life, nor is it the ideal situation, but I am consistently thinking of the future and this is my most recent conundrum.

If I were to be 23, 24 or 25 years old and not married, and I wanted to adopt a little girl (like 4 or 5 years old) would I be able too?

I'm a guy, I've worked with kids all my life, I'm going to college to be a teacher, and I really love kids, especially girls, I've just always worked and got along better with them (I do good with both sexes though.)

I was just wondering, I've had a hard time finding anybody who's right for me, and not being able to have kids just because I'm single would drive me up the wall. It's kind of personal, but the kids I've worked with literally saved my life, and I've always loved kids since.

2. Carmina

Carmina Contributor Contributor

The adoption process is long and involved for anyone wanting to adopt. Many agencies prefer to place children in two-parent households. 30 years ago, a single parent would have had hardly any chance at all. Things have changed. According to the U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services, 33% of children adoptions from Foster Care is by a single parent (U.S. DHHS, 2000). There are more single women than men adopting, but that doesn't mean that a man would have less of chance. Single parent adoptions are more likely to be of older children, minority children or those with disabilities. Don't know why, but that is what my research turned up. I know that the process for just about anyone included background checks, interviews, and home inspections. There can be a long waiting list. I don't know as much about international adoption or fost-adopt programs, but those are viable options. The important thing is to be ready (financially and emotionally) and be able to demonstrate that. If you are ready at 25, go for it.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

youth [25 or less] and the gender issue [being a guy wanting a young girl] would send up red flags and probably keep you from being able to do that, whether you think it's fair or not...

4. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

This statement would raise red flags if I was an adoption official. If your life was so fouled up that interaction with some kid(s) "...virtually saved my life...", then I wonder if your motivation is for the benefit of the child, or more for your own therapy. A lot of adoption kids come with emotional baggage and need strong parental support. The last thing they need is to be adopted by someone whose desire is selfish.

(Just telling you my impression based on your own choice of words.)

5. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

Like said before me...your situation would send up red flags, but I would not give up hope. If your intentions are good, the adoption agency would grill you until they can see that your home would be a healthy one for the child.
    Why not visit an agency and just ask them? Get details, even if you are not ready now....The more you know now the better you are prepared for when you want to take that path.
    Good Luck

6. Raven

Raven Banned

I'm not really sure why you'd post a thread about this on a forum instead of contacting an adoption agency in any case.

As Wordwizard has said. contact an adoption agency they can tell you far better than anyone else.

*Click*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.