Tags:
  1. WhiteRecluse

WhiteRecluse Member

Advice on.....

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by WhiteRecluse, May 2, 2018.

My character is about to go through a transformation, where his hair and eye color change. He is unaware of this change until someone points it out. What I need advice on... is... what color? Should the hair color match they eyes.. and if so.. what would make the character stand out... Not looking for anything like, neon green glowing hair and eyes... But maybe... blood red? Purple? Maybe subtle.. white on white, black on black? Just trying to get the creative juices flowing. Thanks!

2. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

Well, what causes the change in-text and what purpose does it serve narratively? What do you want to communicate about him or what this change means with the colors chosen? If you want to pick something at random, then it doesn't really matter -- go with whatever -- but if you want it to be symbolic in some way, then you need to think about what you want it to be symbolizing.

WhiteRecluse likes this.
  3. WhiteRecluse

WhiteRecluse Member

My Magic system is based on hair color and eye color... so a person with a certain hair color would have the magical attribute associated with that hair color, same with the eyes.. Someone could have two different eye colors, giving them half the power of the attribute associated with either eye, but, they'd get two different attributes, just not as strong as either one if they had the two eyes of that color.. possibly the same with the hair.. maybe a streak of another color would mix up the attributes a bit.. But anyway, The color will decide the attributes the character will have, but they are not set in stone yet, so I'm picking a color that will stand out for my character so that his will be the neatest/coolest of the bunch.

4. RahnyJae

RahnyJae Member

I think, then, that once you have your magic system on lock as far as This Color = That Power, the colors for your protag will depend on what powers you need him to have and to what degree he needs to have them.

5. WhiteRecluse

WhiteRecluse Member

Yeah, I just haven't locked it down yet, which is why i'm doing it backwards for a moment.. because I want this character to look the best etc. So whatever his hair color will be, I'll give that color the attributes I want him to have specifically.. I know that sounds confusing, but I want his particular color combo to stand out more so than the others. If that makes sense.

RahnyJae likes this.
  6. RahnyJae

RahnyJae Member

No worries, it makes perfect sense. It just comes down to personal preference now, so there's no formula I can suggest to figure it out except 'Go With Your Gut.' Imagine your character in every cool color combo under the sun until one strikes you as 'thee look.' I'd try googling or pinteresting people with dyed hair and color contacts for inspiration fuel. That always helps me when I'm in a visual bind. Good luck. :D

7. WhiteRecluse

WhiteRecluse Member

Thanks! That's what I've been doing for the past hour... most of the images are too "cartoony" for me to get a real feel for it. But I agree.. I just have to pick what I think will look the best and go for it.. I think my brain is just tired of thinking.. lol tomorrow is another day. :) Thanks for the input!

RahnyJae likes this.
  8. Odile_Blud

Odile_Blud Active Member

Maybe the color can say something about his personality. For instance, if he's greedy you could make them green. If he's a jealous type you could make them yellow. If he's romantic or lustful you could make them pink. Purple if he's artistic or royal. Look up color symbolism. You may find something you like. :)

WhiteRecluse likes this.
  9. WhiteRecluse

WhiteRecluse Member

Thanks! That is actually what I did, then I tried matching magical attributes that would blend well with the specific personality of each color. It actually makes a lot of sense when you start seeing it all written out on a color wheel.

10. GiveMeBackMyMagic

GiveMeBackMyMagic Member

I think golden eyes would be pretty amazing!

WhiteRecluse likes this.
  11. Magus

Magus Banned

This reminds me of the magic color materia in Final Fantasy 7 lol. Have you determined what your average nobody's hair and eyes will be colored as? Is anybody going to be just an average Joe in your universe?

12. WhiteRecluse

WhiteRecluse Member

Yes. the average Joe's will be just normal hair and eye color... the ones with attributes will be colors off primary and secondary color wheel...

13. WhiteRecluse

WhiteRecluse Member

Oh... good call.

14. Necronox

Necronox Contributor Contributor

Maybe your character is a little unique and has a colour nobody has - some strange mutations that means it's a cross between two colours. For instance: a golden-green or perhaps a very dark blue (black and blue) or a pale purple (white and purple). Just thinking.

WhiteRecluse likes this.