1. JAU44

JAU44 New Member

Advice Welcome - The End?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by JAU44, Apr 4, 2010.

I was going to wait a while for people to reply to my first post in the welcome section but what can I say, I'm impatient.

First of all, I hope I'm posting in the right place. Though I will be making a bunch of points and asking a few different questions which may or may not belong in this particular section.

I've been working on something for quite a while now. I don't want to go into too much detail but everything I am going to say is about this one particular piece. I don't know what you'd call it; I'm not really a writer so it's not a novel. For now, I think I will call it a story. I would love to get it on TV one day. I really am a visual person and I feel like TV's probably the best medium for this particular story. I would also consider a graphic novel as a second choice.

Now I'm no expert on fiction and I'm well aware that it's becoming harder and harder to be original, however I'd like to think I am creating something unique or at least different from the conventional serialised drama formula.

Since first originating the idea back in 2008, I have had several problems; some gave me cause to give up for a while but many have since been solved. Saying that, I would still like some thoughts and opinions...

The story would take place over hundreds of years. This is necessary for me to show the development of society and the expansions of family trees. To tackle this problem, I have decided to pick important plot points and base each season around one of those. Any gaps could be covered in flashbacks (if need be). So each new season would take place a number of decades after the last, subsequently, it follows that each new season would consist of a brand new cast... though I am considering at least one mainstay throughout the entire story.

Some characters might make it into two seasons and those who don't will be represented by their descendants.

I'm wondering, would any of you keep watching from season to season? I know I haven't said much about the story or the plot etc... but could a gripping story make up for the ever-changing cast or would the loss of your favourite characters be a deterrent?

I've tried googling the scenario and I can't find any serialised dramas that change their cast from show to show. Tim Kring was apparently considering something like that for Heroes however he decided to stick with the original cast based on its popularity.

I am also considering transforming my antagonist from the start of the story into the protagonist by the end of the story. I was wondering if you think this can be done or if you have any examples of where it has been done or perhaps any advice?

And finally (for now), I am finding it impossible to create an ending to this story! I have brainstormed myself into a headache. I was hoping one would arise naturally but it hasn't happened. I have never had to work so hard before... I don't know where to begin. Well, actually, that's a lie. I mean, I know what my ending needs to achieve. I want to solve the initial problem, I want to compliment the overall tone of the work and I want to do it in a way that feels natural.

Hopefully you can give me some advice... somewhere to look for the answer or something, anything!

Hey, thank you for reading. I know I haven't had a chance to contribute to the board yet, so I really appreciate any feedback I do get and I'll try and make it up to you all at some point. If you ever need a hand, let me know.

If anybody wants to talk more in depth about this or anything, check my profile for my Live Messenger email.

Josch

2. EileenG

EileenG New Member

I think you are getting ahead of yourself here. There are plenty of novels which cover several generations in one volume, and even more where subsequent books take place a generation or more further on. That's not the problem.

The problem seems to be that you have a setting and possibly backstory, but not a plot. Each story/series/novel needs its own plot and it needs to be a strong one. Before you worry about the casting of different generations, you need a cracking good story, something which will make readers/viewers stick with it because they want to know what happens next and how their favourite characters cope with all the problems you throw at them.

As for villain turned hero (or vise versa), of course you can. Didn't you see Star Wars?

Try summing up each series/story in ten words or less. If you can't, keep tightening it until you can.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

in a tv series, definitely!... for a 'saga' series of stand-alone novels, definitely not...