1. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Advice

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Marcelo, Aug 26, 2008.

You know, I can say I've learned a lot in these forums. I have been here for... like 4 months, and in that time I just improved more than I had in previous years. But some advices didn't penetrated my (hard) skull until now. For example, no matter how many times people told me (thanks Cog) that the plot concept didn't mean a thing, I just obssesed over the plot. But now, I'm starting to get it. So in this thread, let's post our advice for other readers seeking it!

2. tehuti88

tehuti88 New Member

I wouldn't say plot concept means nothing. After all the writer has to have a starting point to mull over before they develop the entire idea and begin writing it. :/ If you don't start out with a plot concept, you start out with nothing.

I always got the impression that Cogito's copypasted message is trying to say that asking others' opinions about plot concepts is a waste of time, because only the WRITER can determine how it turns out. A writer must obsess over their own plot concept to an extent because THEY are going to be the one writing it. They just shouldn't obsess over what OTHERS might think of it.

(Sorry for hijacking the thread, I do hope some decent advice from others follows. :redface: )

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

tehuti's right, marcelo... that's what cog, as well as myself and others are always having to tell new writers...

that your plot concept means a lot to you, but nothing to anyone else, is the message/advice being given...

as for the purpose of this thread, i'm afraid i don't get it... or don't get how it would work... 'advice' per se can cover so many aspects of writing and is such an all-encompassing thing, i don't know how a single thread could be helpful... or why it would be needed, since each of the many sections on the site offers a platform for topic-specific advice...

a potpourri of all kinds here would be very unwieldy, imo, and cover too much that's dealt with elsewhere at greater length, to be helpful... plus, the back and forth discussion each 'advice' post would engender could conceivably end up making this the longest, most jumbled-up thread in site history...

sorry for throwing cold water on your idea... i may just be misunderstanding what you're proposing... if so, please set me straight...

love and hugs, maia

4. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

So it means something. I don't know how to insert quotes, but this is what I've read in some posts. Actually, more than just some. You've never said a thing about it, so how could I have known?

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no point to asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development?

(and yes, this is a template post, which should give you an idea of how often this comes up.)

I should had clarified things better. :p
    Well, the purpose for this thread was to fill it with writing tips and advices, just like the proverbs found in lfortune cookies.

5. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Oh, sorry. I hadn't finished reading the posts. Just woke up from a little nap. :redface:

Well, I think someone should had specified it at this point. How many aspiring writers have lft this forums thinking that?

6. Ungood

Ungood New Member

Well if I had to give advice on writing I would say.

Do your best to enjoy it.

Do not try to write some production piece, or make your story into some product.

Do not try to figure out what the new wave thing is and write about that.

Just write something you enjoy writing about. In the end, you will never get rich off that (book/Story/poem/Etc) at best you might make some money off it, so you might as well at least enjoy writing it.

7. ParanormalWriter

ParanormalWriter New Member

My fave advice is to stay disciplined. I know a lot of writers are just in it for the fun and the self expression. I wish them well and I hope they get what they want from their writing. But for those serious about publishing, I feel its very important to be organized and to set goals. I've seen a lot of writers talk about how important it is not to "force" it, saying you should be in the mood and be feeling inspired before you sit down to write.

I agree that inspiration is our friend. And there are certain rare times when a break is necessary if a writer is just feeling completely brain-fried. I feel those times should be the rare exception though. I know not everyone has time to knock out 2,000 words every single day, but I do think its important to do what you can. Laziness is the writers enemy. I know its a big problem of mine.

I'm not saying we should be obsessed (not too much anyway ;) ), but I do feel its very important to stay focused.

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Don't pound your skull into hamburger trying to come up with a story idea no one has seen before. It's the best way to guarantee you never write anything.

Focus instead on making your characters interesting, and develop your personal storytelling voice. Learn to keep readers hungry for more. Play with their emotions, string them along, even piss them off occasionally.

Don't satisfy them until the story is done. Even then, it doesn't hurt to leave them a little bit hungry.