1. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Afraid to take Part II of a Fiction Writing course at my university...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Link the Writer, Oct 9, 2012.

Brief history: A year or so ago, I took Fiction Writing I with a teacher, and I gave her (and the others for critique) a draft of my Colonial mystery. Looking back at it now, I think it's a pile of crap, with little description and lots of talking with no direction. I gave her two other drafts of different stories for review and, looking back, I see now that they, too, are peices of crap.

I regret giving her those drafts. I want to take Fiction Writing II with her to show that I have improved, that I'm better than I was when she last saw me. And, most importantly, I can complete a first chapter and give her a second, fully complete chapter.

But I'm afraid to, because I feel that she thinks I'm an idiot. I know that's not what she said to me, but I want to give her a new version of the Colonial mystery, this time better written with a full first chapter. But...does she want it? Should I do it?

I'm torn between wanting to show her that I've changed by giving her a new version of something I've already shown her, and this time, telling her that I will give her a full second chapter to critique. Yet, I feel ashamed and embarrassed, because I think she thinks I don't know how to do descriptive scenes and write full first chapters.

Advice, fellow writers??

2. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

She is a teacher, it is her job to pick up on your weaknesses and help, encourage and guide you in the right direction.

She won't think you're an idiot. she is there to teach - you are there to be taught. If her pupils knew it all she'd be out of a job.

Try to not worry about it. Good luck!

3. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I agree with Trilby. She's not there to judge. Rather, she's there to help you improve. I say take the class.

4. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Go ahead and take the class. Trilby's reason is good, but there's another thing: You shouldn't let fear, shame, or embarrassment determine what courses you take (or anything else in life).

You're basically saying you don't want to take this class because the teacher might, I don't know, look at you funny. Take the darn class.

5. Link the Writer

All right. I'll take the class.

And I shouldn't ask her for permission to critique the Colonial thing again? Just write it again (and better) and look at her face when she's shocked to read it once more?

6. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I don't know. Does the class have any rules about whether or not you're allowed to submit revised (rewritten) work?

7. Link the Writer

I don't know. I've never asked her.

8. idle

idle Active Member

Ask her, then. We cannot know better then you or her what's appropriate in your case.

Nevertheless, I think she'd be happy to find out that you've improved. That would mean that she's done something well, wouldn't it?

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

talk to the teacher, not us!

good luck with the course...

love and hugs, maia

10. Fivvle

Fivvle Member

It sounds like you really look up to this teacher.

11. DefinitelyMaybe

DefinitelyMaybe Contributor Contributor

As an educator myself (though not in writing obviously) I am very impressed when a student who has done poorly comes back, and does a much better job the second time through.

Just take the course, don't worry about changing her mind (and she may not have made up her mind) sooner than you need to, and submit some much better quality work at the first normal opportunity. I bet she'll be very much impressed if you've improved considerably since the work you submitted before.