1. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

New Publishers Looking for Clients

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by J.T. Woody, Dec 19, 2020.

J.T. Woody submitted a new resource:

New Publishers Looking for Clients - for Indigenous writers and Entertainment writers

Read more about this resource...

2. jimmybobb

jimmybobb Banned

Could be good or could be a vanity press operation, like some trad pub houses are doing now with an imprint that charges authors while trying to appear like they are legitimate.

Does anyone have more information on them?

3. J.T. Woody

these imprints have been mentioned in Publishers Weekly, The Library Journal, and their parent company websites. Those are pretty accredited, if you ask me.

PW-Heartdrum
    SLJ(School Library Journal)-Heartdrum
    PW-Roc Lit 101
    LJ-Roc Lit 101

HarperCollins
    One Nation (imprint of Random House that is behind some of the best selling authors of color such as Bryan Stevenson's Just Mercy, and Ibram X. Kendi's Stamped, Trevor Noah's Born A Crime, and more) is behind the partnership with Jay-Z

I'm no expert, but i'm pretty sure you cant query these publishing houses directly, but need an agent to represent you, as from what I understand about the big publishing houses. I dont believe vanity publishers would have as big of a presence as these have.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
  4. jimmybobb

jimmybobb Banned

I have heard of some big trad pub houses having a vanity press imprint, or subsidiary. Not sure how carefully the trade pubs check out new announcements of imprints or subsidiaries of major publishers. The big publishers have many imprints and even other smaller publishing houses under their umbrella.

This may well be totally legit. Or it could be something less than you might normally expect.
    Roc Lit is NOT One Nation. They are totally different.
    With JayZ on board I would hope that it is legit unless he does not know publishing and just rented his name to them for marketing.

I am always suspicious ever since one pub house had an imprint for religion that turned out to be a vanity press. They act legit but then say your novel is not quite right for them but you could still get published if you pay their associate imprint. The number they actually select and publish is far less than the number they print for payment by the author. Unfortunately, most preachermen are naive and too trusting.

5. J.T. Woody

True. I never said they were, to begin with, but true.

This is one of the reasons why i'd like an agent. they are more knowledgeable about these things than me.

6. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

bait and switch by vanities is a major problem among those seeking publishers ... however the chances of Harper Collins or Penguin Random House introducing a vanity imprint are effectively nil, and there are no vanity red flags on either of these linked in the resources.

In general the wise principal to follow is that no reputable publisher will ask the author for money*... cash flows (or sometimes trickles) from them to you not the other way around... there is an interesting article here https://www.sfwa.org/other-resources/for-authors/writer-beware/vanity/#Vanity

(*there is an exception with legitimate service companies for self publishers... but these do not present themselves as publishers)

7. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Tate Publishing and enterprises... however they weren't a trad house with a vanity arm... but rather a vanity pretending to be a traditional publisher... the tate brothers wound up with felony charges filed against them by the Oklahoma AG
    https://accrispin.blogspot.com/2017/05/the-law-finally-catches-up-with-tate.html