1. star_fire

star_fire New Member

Alarm Clock Broke...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by star_fire, Mar 23, 2009.

i'm one of those people that always seems to be running late. it doesn't matter if i gather my stuff the night before, or make a checklist of things to not forget; i'm always late.

waking up to get ready twenty minutes earlier didn't help either. so was i doomed to be chronically late? then one day, a brillant idea popped into my mind:

set all the clocks in my house ten minutes ahead

i haven't been late since.

any similar problems with being on time? how did you solve this problem?

2. Benska

Benska New Member

I'm not that bad, myself. But when I have to rely on my family(which is most of the time), I'm late everywhere. They're hopeless. I tried setting the clocks forward, but they caught on and switched them back within the day.

The problem isn't really solved, but we're less-often late nowadays. It's just rush, rush, rush, only to turn up at places just on time, rarely early, though.

Personally, I think it's a disease :p.

3. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Never beenl ate that i can remember.I have always set my alarm for 15 minutes before i need to be up. Also over time i have a very high success rate of waking up before my alarm (within a 5 minutes timeframe usually). Probably 8 out of 10 times. Which is cool, and freaky. Not uncommon though.

If i do sleep in, and the alarm goes off, i freak out and feel like crap ;) if it wasent for 2 out of 10 times not waking up, i'd forget the arlarm ;)

4. becca

becca Contributor Contributor

The only clocks in our house that are set ahead are our alarm clocks. By 15-20 minutes. I used to keep all the clocks 10-15 minutes fast. Not because I was always late, but because I like to be places early. I actually hate being late.

5. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

I'm usually on time-when I'm not under the influence of a devil called sleep. Then come storm and earthquate alike, nothing can wake me up. So, I devised this clever method of waking up in the morning. I have 6 alarm clocks and I set them all up for the same time. So therefore, their combined efforts succeed to wake me up, because I might be able to sleep after hitting the snooze button on one of them, but by the time I shut them all up, I'm already wide awake.

6. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

I'm late all the time. If I'm early for something, it was an accident - or most likely I thought I was supposed to be there much earlier. It's weird, but I always assume that I'll be on time for something, but then I never am. I think my brain wants me to show up to places late for the adrenalin rush or just as a practical joke on me.

7. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

lol XD. I do the same thing, save for my alarm clock which is 20 minutes ahead XD. Works like a charm don't it :p.

8. g1ng3rsnap9ed

g1ng3rsnap9ed New Member

I normally set my alarm to ten to 6, so that I have time to write about an hour before school. (We leave around ten after 7.) One day I didn't feel like getting up so I set the alarm (to what I though was) quarter to 7, my step-sister ended up waking me up. Well I was in the middle of changing when the alarm went off, and thinking that I still had about twenty minutes to get ready, checked it. Apparently I set the alarm to quarter after 7.

Idiot. *Shakes head.

9. Azhigher

Azhigher Active Member

I can get to work on time, but that's about it. Anything else, I'm late to...despite my fiancee's best efforts to get us there on time.

10. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I HATE being late. I wake up way before I need to so I won't accidentally oversleep, and I leave far earlier than I have to just in case there's traffic or a car accident or I get a flat tire or something else happens. If it takes me ten minutes to drive somewhere, for example, I will typically leave 20-30 minutes before I need to be there.

My fiance, on the other hand, can make it to work early but is late to everything else...drives me crazy.

11. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

This is the best advice I've ever heard for somebody who is chronically late. A somebody such as myself... :p

12. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

Whoa. Does anyone else find this suspicious?

13. hiddennovelist

HAHAHA I didn't realize that those posts were back to back until I came back to the thread later.

Yeah, we're talking about each other...

14. star_fire

star_fire New Member

lol.
    i just talked to my brother the other day, wanting to know what his trick was for staying on time. turns out that he "dissed" my setting my clocks ten minutes ahead. apparently your mind can add ten to the number and convince itself that you're not really late. he says to set your clocks ahead a wierd time, like 7.
    tried it. brother's right *grin*

15. hiddennovelist

Wow.

You know, now that I think about it, that makes a lot of sense.