1. Corgz

Corgz New Member

Alice in Wonderland like story?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Corgz, Jan 16, 2012.

Would you read a story like alice in wonderland? Where a charachter travels to another world where all logic and sanity is gone?

That is what i am thinking of basing my next story on... Except i want a message with it, like have a happy world, except have referances to drugs and alchohol... like, a pill that if you take it, you turn into a really small person (like smurfies) or a cake where the icing sugar that makes you feel happy, energetic and just fantastic but if you have too much it has the oppisite effects (cocaine)

Then maybe there can be something that makes you fall asleep really quickly, like roofies or something and you forget what happens...

What do you think? Is there other things you could think of... such as a man with a head that can come off... like 'off your head' :p

2. Nicholas C.

Nicholas C. Active Member

As someone who used to do cocaine, I can tell you that it actually does make you feel happy, energetic, and just fantastic and not the "opposite effect" of that.

3. Corgz

Corgz New Member

my docter said that after too much and after a while it begins to give negitive effects..

4. Nicholas C.

Nicholas C. Active Member

Well, your wallet certainly loses an unhealthy amount of weight.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

nope! [but then, i'm more than 6 decades past 10 or 12 years old and probably wouldn't have read it even then ;) ]

6. Corgz

Corgz New Member

alice inwonderland is aclassic, i'd read it if i were 304 :O

7. Balmarog

Balmarog New Member

I was always a fan of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass.
    The thing is, they're not so much stories as they are a tour of a landscape populated by puns and confused animals. If given a real plot of some sort, then I could certainly enjoy a story like that. The way you describe it though, it sounds JUST like AAiW but with the drug references being a little more literal.

The loss of logic isn't a bad thing as long as it's still consistant with the world you build. I think that would be the major thing.

Ultimately though, just write whatever you want to write and you can always tweak it later.

8. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

What you said is really very similar to the actual AIWL so I'd probably give it a miss. But if it was only a background setting for a completely different story, I might give it a try.

All drugs, if consumed every day, eventually turn on you, cocaine included. Many people who "binge" on it, start taking it every day, then, as tolerance increases, they have to take it just to get out of bed and eventually they develop severe depression, they lose lots of weight, and some can even become psychotic because they can no longer get the "high" but the rebound effects of not having any are too difficult to bear. This is called an "amphetamine (or cocaine) crash" and is a really nasty thing to experience.
    Having said that, a lot of people use all kinds of drugs recreationally, but that's not always easy to achieve, especially with Class A drugs which have a very high addiction potential.

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Don't ask for permission or approval. Write the story, or don't. Whether people will read it depends more on how well it's written than how excited people are about the story abstract.

If you are writing to obtain approval, you are setting yourself up for a lot of misery. Before you produce something that many people will approive of, you'll be slammed repeatedly for the works that don't quite cut it. Even if you do make it big, there will be many who will rip it to shreds.

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i didn't say i wouldn't/didn't read carroll's classic, because i did, corgz... i also read his sequel, 'through the looking glass'... both of them as a preteen... what i said i wouldn't read now or then, is what you're proposing...

11. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

I agree with those who have said that it's too similar to the current AinW. In fact, AinW already has drug references, they're just really subtle. You could make your own story with someone who gets transported to a trippy altworld, but make sure that the storyline, character motivations, etc are clearly distinct from that of AinW so that it's not painfully predictable and ripoff-ish.

12. TheWritingWriter

TheWritingWriter New Member

Personally I wouldn't, probably, but that's only because I've seen so many projects done on Alice and Wonderland. There are bunches of movies based off of the book, and TV shows/specials, and stories that coincide with the books. I personally love the original, and the Disney cartoon, and could read & re-watch those over & over.

However, just because someone says they won't read a book based on an idea you promote doesn't mean you shouldn't write it. Like Cogito suggested, you should write it anyway. It doesn't matter what the story is about, if it's interesting and well-written, I'll probably read it & the likeliness of someone reading your story depends more on the plot and quality.