1. Elias Randén

Elias Randén New Member

Alien name

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Elias Randén, Feb 29, 2016.

Hello! I'm very new to this forum and I'm not sure if this is the right section to ask in, but I guess I'll try.

I'm definitely no experienced writer but I've always wanted to create my own stories outside of art. English isn't exactly one of my strongest sides either, so maybe me getting into writing can help me with that.

Anyway, now to my question! I've come up with a setting, characters and a plot for the story i'm writing. Without much problem I have been able to come up with names, but I have this one alien character that I've been struggling with.

I don't know if this helps but I can give you some basic info about her:

-She is humanoid and about 2,5 meters tall.
    -Her skin color is green and she has two tentacle like extensions (much like Aayla Secura/ Twi'lek from Star wars) instead of ears that reach down to the end of her ribcage.
    -Her hair is made out of vines and is adorned with exotic flowers, she lives in some sort of symbiotic relationship with the plants that grow on her.
    -She has big very cat like eyes that are yellow.

Don't know if this info makes any difference but I appreciate any help/ inspiration I can get. I'm also missing a name for the species, so if you have any suggestions I'm listening!

Thanks in advance.

Seraph751 likes this.
  2. karldots92

karldots92 Active Member

Sounds like it should be something derived from a floral name or something similar. Some I might suggest:

Ayveanne (pronounced IVY-ANN)
    Amaryllia (from Amaryllis)
    Garadienne (from Gardenia)
    Ellotusia (from Lotus)

Just some ideas :)

Seraph751 likes this.
  3. Death2ignorance

Death2ignorance Member

Can you tell me more about the species? When I come up with names I like them to base them on their backgrounds (cultural, geographical, philosophical, etc.)

The species, is it primitive relative to the MC's (human?) species?
    Are they generally peaceful or aggressive?
    I assume they are pretty harmonious with nature given your description, does this have any significance to the species on a large scale? (i.e. do plant life have a religious importance to them? do they view living in disharmony unethical? are they zealous in this belief?

Seraph751 likes this.
  4. BadCrow

BadCrow Member

think about her as an animal. What kind of noises could she produce with the throat/vocal cords she got... like a cat has a different voice than a hipo and therfore would choose noises it could easier make. I tend to think about it that way. Not that i actualy know to much about biology, but i try to imagine them say names

Seraph751 likes this.
  5. Death2ignorance

Death2ignorance Member

Thats a good point too. The name should first and foremost be native to her species and then interpreted for the MC's species

Seraph751 likes this.
  6. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

I got around this problem by having the alien names unpronounceable. The narrator came up with names that seemed right in his head... Ralph, for instance.

Mars likes this.
  7. Seraph751

Seraph751 If I fell down the rabbit hole... Contributor

You can base your names off of plants, look at plant names in different languages, i.e. latin for example.
    Some authors will write names like or refer to:
    Ta'rek (name)
    Position/Title in Clan, First Name, Clan Name
    ex: Jewel Crafter Sakura of The Floralia Clan
    Clan Name, First Name,
    ex: Floralia, Sakura
    Species Name, (used by offworlders or joking friends)
    ex: "Stupid Lignas!" The trader spat as he took his goods back aboard his ship.
    ex: When Sakura stopped abruptly for what seem to be the umpteenth time to look some new plant, Ryker asked exasperatedly "Are all the Lignas like you?"
    (Lignas = Latin for Trees)

PBNJDraftNumbA likes this.
  8. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Seraph751 likes this.