1. Poziga

Poziga Contributor Contributor

All (of) your words?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Poziga, Jan 31, 2017.

Hello. :)

I would consult with internet first, but I don't even know what to call this grammatical issue so, I'll write it here and I hope you can help me.

"Dear friends, reading all your nice words and wishes made me realise how grateful I am for this experience, thank you all."

I got stuck in such places before. I don't know when to put "of" and when not. In this case in particular: "Dear friends, reading all (of) your nice words and wishes made me realise how grateful I am for this experience, thank you all."

When do you put "of" in front of such noun phrases and when not? I would be grateful for links if you can provide me with them. :)

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

The "of" really should be there in this instance, but including it gives it a tone of formality, if that makes sense. Not using it - which is perfectly idiomatic, we do it all the time - feels more casual and friendly.

3. Poziga

So does that mean that it comes down to the register and tone, there is no fixed rule? Like "that" in case of an object phrase (it can be used or omitted)?

4. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Yes and no. To me, there is certainly a rule. The "of" belongs there if we are to be technically precise. But idiomatic speech, which has a more fluid manner of handling things, permits it to be dropped. Your example sounding like someone addressing others in a personal way, not the academic narrative of a textbook; hence, I feel that in your example the idiomatic version is more appropriate. Idiomatic speech contains many features - in ANY language - that don't necessarily follow the rules of the language, but the fact that these options exist does not mean there isn't a rule. I've run across had wrote, had ate, had ran so many times that I am forced to count those as idiomatic, though the grammarian in me feels offended at these structures that muddy the waters of complex tenses. *shrug*

Poziga likes this.
  5. Poziga

Thanks, this helps a lot. :)

6. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

I've been meaning to post a similar question for a few weeks, and this clears it right up.

Thanks @Poziga and @Wreybies!

7. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

D1
    D2
    Dear friends, reading your nice words and wishes, I realise how [deeply] grateful I am for this experience, thank you.

D3

friends, your nice words and wishes! I am grateful for this experience, thank you.

D4

Nice words and wishes? Six years of my life wasted. Thank you for nothing, shitheads.

Draft two has the concision, otherwise you[one] sounds a little 'IT.'