1. samessex

samessex New Member

Alpha Male!

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by samessex, Aug 9, 2011.

Hello All

Sorry I have been away for a while, life just became a little crazy and hectic.

But I am back again and writing :)

At the moment I am attempting a Mills and Boon style story. And some of you may think (err trashy and soooo easy!) Let me tell you they are difficult!! There are lots of guidelines and rules. One being the Male generally has to be Alpha! And I mean ALPHA!

I am trying my best to make him confident, in control, alpha, but I feel like he is becoming a little soft now. Help! How can he regain his alpha-ness!!?
    :)

2. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

Give him another alpha male to thump his chest against. At a bar or whatever.

3. samessex

samessex New Member

thats a good idea Islander, thanks. I shall get cracking on this idea today! :)

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Have him walk and talk softly but take no shit. The calm, unshakeable man is ALPHA, and knows he doesn't need to raise his voice.

5. Mikeyface

Mikeyface New Member

Echoing the soft, no-nonsense approach.

The bar set-up might be a good place to show us how in control he is of a given situation. It's not always about the ability to fight, a lot of times it's about the character's ability to avoid the fight all together.

Ex. Some other Ed Hardy alpha-douche is drunk and causing a general ruckus in the bar. He starts picking on some nerdy guy and his date, trying to start a fight. Our champion shows up and steps in-- Ed Hardy is ready to fight and our guy is able to convince him how bad of an idea that is in three words: "Bad idea, man" or something.

I think I just wrote Batman. Hmmmm...

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Or no words at all. Just steps in between and looks Ed Hardy straight in the eyes.

(I've actually done that. Helps that I'm 6'4")

7. Mikeyface

Mikeyface New Member

I'm 5'10, ha. I have not done that.

I do not have an alpha male's confidence. :)

8. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

It's interesting to note that it's always the small dogs who are the yappiest. The big dogs are quiet and lie there peacefully. If something annoys them, they raise their big heads and just say "woof." Quietly. But the small dogs all notice, and they all shut up.

I know this. I grew up with Newfoundland dogs - sweet and friendly and never any trouble, but if another dog gets out of line, "woof." And that's all it ever took.

9. The_NeverPen

The_NeverPen Member

I'm not aware of this type of story. Is this someone who is actually an alpha male, or someone who is trying to be alpha male?

10. samessex

samessex New Member

Hi all

Thank you for the tips and advice; all brilliant!

Cogito, quiet and confident is definately the type of alpha I am trying to go for. Not loud, brash and always causing a scene.

Mikeyface, I also like the idea you mentioned, about him avoiding the fight. Combined with Cogito's idea of saying nothing at all. Looks can say everything some times.

The_NeverPen, I want my character to be alpha from day one. Not become alpha. I want it to be within him.

11. The_NeverPen

The_NeverPen Member

Then body language can tell a lot as well. In a social setting, alphas will make eye contact with people in the room. They tend to hold the eye contact longer than most people, but don't stare too long. Touching someone's back or arm as they're walking is also a typical alpha move.

12. samessex

samessex New Member

Brilliant, thank you NeverPen. It is all these little traits that I am trying to build upon.

13. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributor Contributor

Keep in mind that those squared meatloafs you'll see standing in front of a gym entrance, posing as if they've got invisible stuffing in their armpits are not alpha males. They're betas, trying to climb the latter. A good sign of this is that they're aware of there being a latter. An alpha simply takes for granted that they'll be heard when they speak.

14. samessex

samessex New Member

HorusEye, I defiantely do not want a meatloaf as my character, so I will be avoiding that at all costs :)

I'm trying to get across a normal (ish) guy, he's a businessman, but has a shady background.

15. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributor Contributor

Watch some Obama clips? Not so much his speeches, but the way he interacts with people like a natural leader would -- calmly, because he expects to be taken seriously.

16. samessex

samessex New Member

Good idea. Thank you! He is very calm and composed.