Alpha Males

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by RMBROWN, May 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

To some extent you're right, but that's a different dynamic I think. I suspect alphas remain alpha even when they're having a bad day. But I've witnessed shifting energy dynamics before, in myself and others. I was in a very low energy mode for a couple days at work, and when I'd try to speak everybody ignored me while the high-energy ones kept right on talking and didn't seem to notice my feeble attempts. Then in a couple days my energy level was much higher and I was one of the loud-talkers. I sort of noticed in my peripheral vision that a girl who had been one of the loud ones was having a bad day and her attempts to be heard went unnoticed (even by me). I only noticed this because I'm deeply interested in psychology, especially observing it in action in myself and others, and I pay attention (sometimes).

My conclusion was that my low energy days were the result of an emotional flashback thanks to my CPTSD. I know that does cause low energy and negative feelings, and the flashback can last days or weeks at times.

So yeah, there are mitigating factors, but even those of us who intellectually deny the status thing respond to it automatically in group dynamics. Omegas will either submit to an alpha or challenge them (usually ineffectually). Either of which is an admission of the status difference.

In animals of course this is about all there is, but as humans we have complex psychology and very complex social systems that mitigate things significantly. If you're low on the sexual totem pole you have other talents and skills that you shine at.

Madman likes this.
  2. alittlehumbugcalledShe

alittlehumbugcalledShe Active Member

:superlaugh: This whole thread is just weird as fuck lmaooo. The 'women going for the 'alpha male'' thing... isn't even a thing. I'm sorry. We literally don't give a shit about any of this stuff. You can spot these people a mile away, and we all tend to avoid them. It's just a bit weird, you know? Comes across as super manipulative in a dating setting. And a total red flag, if someone's focused on being an 'alpha guy', saying that they don't want/need to impress anyone, even when they very clearly do. It's just... *shudder*. Gives me the heebie-jeebies.

3. alittlehumbugcalledShe

Listen, I'd love to give you the benefit of the doubt, but holy shit, that is sexist as fuck. Read it back. Seriously. Seriously??

B.E. Nugent likes this.
  4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Hey it was good enough for the royal family (love? you don't marry for love...that's what mistresses are for... you marry to make a royal heir goddamit).... its almost the exact logic of why the Queen and the DoE wouldnt let Charles marry Camilla originally... well Diana is good breeding stock...

5. B.E. Nugent

B.E. Nugent Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

And that's why we cling as tightly as we can to the dwindling vestiges of our men's clubs. There was a distinct lack of female perspective right through this thread. And that's how we like it!
    (thanks @alittlehumbugcalledShe )

Madman likes this.
  6. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I just thought to check if there are any more classification I wasn't aware of, since sigma was new to me. Looks like there's also delta and gamma. I'm not sure about all these divisions though.

It looks like some of it comes from the pickup artist crowd, where alphas were the ones who got laid and the rest were just called betas, and that's where a lot of the negative aspects of being called a beta come from (also where a lot of people picked up negative connotations for alpha). Now there's a guy named Vox Day who developed his own system that includes alpha, beta, delta, gamma, sigma and omega. His descriptions sound a little weird though, and I'm not sure how scientific it is. All I know for sure is alphas are definitely a thing, and then there's the rest. From there, I think it's a crap shoot where different groups just come up with their own breakdowns. But as long as you read with some healthy skepticism it can be pretty informative.

7. Malum

Malum Offline

r/niceguys

8. alittlehumbugcalledShe

My thoughts exactly.

9. B.E. Nugent

What's that?

10. alittlehumbugcalledShe

Have a look in google. This is all sounding very Reddit-like.

Malum likes this.
  11. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

im glad you said something!
    I was reading all of this like "should i? should i not?" :superlaugh:

some people like their little bubbles, so i decided to be the lurker :whistle:

12. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Alpha males. :superlaugh::superlaugh::superlaugh: Well, as long as contemplating alpha-ness keeps y'all happy and out of everyone else's way, we'll all be happy.

13. Malum

Malum Offline

To quote urban dictionary:

14. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I think you may misunderstand the theory. The theory, as I understand it, is that there are alpha traits and beta traits and that certain alpha traits will generate interest while a display of beta traits will do the opposite.

15. alittlehumbugcalledShe

To be honest, this is making me want to leave this forum. I love writing, and I joined to chat with other like-minded people. I can stand different opinions, hell, even different political stances. But this stuff goes too far, i'd actually like to report it, but idk how.

I have to face these comments on a regular basis back home, and I would appreciate it if we stuck to normal stuff - chatting, writing specific stuff, writing adjacent, etc... If I wanted to be part of this, I'd just go and speak to the guys I interact with on the street. It's completely unacceptable and should be called out, if not downright regulated.

'Good breeding stock' is not a matter of 'different opinion', it's disgusting.

B.E. Nugent likes this.
  16. alittlehumbugcalledShe

I don't misunderstand anything. I'm very clear on this.

17. Malum

Malum Offline

Learn to ignore the goblins. It took me a very long time...and annoying the mods whilst way too high. (sorry)

Edit: It's a valuable lesson if you ever intend upon being successful, I'd like to think...and have found.

18. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

You hit report at the bottom of the offending post... however there's no need to report this since it doesn't break the rules and we're already aware of it (and we're a little bit busy with higher priority tasks at the minute)

A top tip is if you're offended by a particular poster put them on ignore... if you're offended by, or want to avoid a particular topic, don't look at threads about that topic

(and if anyone really really wants to leave over this, or anything else, just log off and don't visit the site... if you want to never be able to come back change your email and password to some random garbage then log off... I can delete accounts in normal times, but I'm trying not to rustle the server's jammies at the minute while the whole thing is less stable than a celebrity marriage)

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  19. alittlehumbugcalledShe

Lol, yeah. I'm leaving. Can you delete my account please?

RMBROWN likes this.
  20. Madman

Madman Life is Sacred Contributor

21. Malum

Malum Offline

There are good people here. Thankfully Komposten didn't delete my account when I requested it. Just step away from the place for a bit, I used to get over-invested in it all too.

22. big soft moose

23. B.E. Nugent

Thank you.

I'm wishing I'd gone with my gut and stayed away from this one. And nicely said @alittlehumbugcalledShe . I was beginning to remember why I'm not on social media.

Malum likes this.
  24. alittlehumbugcalledShe

Nope! Shame, though. I guess I'd rather focus on actual writing rather than listening to this crap, anyway. See y'all later. You don't need to buy my books.

B.E. Nugent and Malum like this.
  25. Malum

Malum Offline

@big soft moose I hope the amount of times I've recovered my password isn't evident. Lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.