1. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

Alternative to the Military

Discussion in 'Research' started by J.T. Woody, May 5, 2024.

this is a minor detail... but one i need to figure out nonetheless.

I'm trying to figure out what my 19 year old character would do in the aftermath of 9/11 that's not joining he military.

Context:
    This is realistic fiction. in the beginning, my FMC (the POV character) comes home after her 1st semester of college and she and her friend (the MMC) spend the next 6-7 months trying to discover who they are as people and what they want to do with their lives.

Fast forward to the final chapter. everything they've done has failed horribly and they are recovering from the emotional and physical damages in the aftermath of the events in the book (that information isn't important to the question).

the MMC announces that he's leaving. he's never left their city. never explored possibilities outside of their community. He tells the FMC that he's going away and that its his turn to go out into the world.

Originally, I had him join the military. But after returning to my notes and seeing the plot timeline fall a week after 9/11/2001.... I don't want that anymore.
    I thought about Peace Corp, but they require a bachelors and specialty areas.
    Habitat for Humanities maybe? idk. something where he gets to travel and help people and experience the world and hardships outside of his own.

(this does not take place in or around 9/11 target areas)

Cdn Writer likes this.
  2. Louanne Learning

Louanne Learning Happy Wonderer Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

He might decide to volunteer with Indigenous communities. There are a lot of opportunities, including ones to live and work with them.

Here's one link to a listing of them: https://www.hud.gov/planetyouth/havefun/volunteer

Cdn Writer and J.T. Woody like this.
  3. Louanne Learning

Louanne Learning Happy Wonderer Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

Here's another good lead about internship and volunteer opportunities: https://www.indian-affairs.org/internships_volunteers.html

Cdn Writer and J.T. Woody like this.
  4. Louanne Learning

Cdn Writer likes this.
  5. Cdn Writer

Cdn Writer Contributor Contributor

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America
    Currently Reading::
    TRYING (!!!) to read Eric Flint's "Ring of Fire" series.......it's soooo many books!!!!!
    Job Corps

Peace Corps - maybe he has an "in" as in "lived experience" that could take the place of a BA?

There's organizations like Voluntary Services Overseas and various charities sometimes run their own volunteer thing. Like I came across a school for the deaf in Kenya and another in Brazil that both wanted volunteers to help educate their children.

6. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

That'll give you more wiggle room. It was much harder to recruit for organizations with relatively primitive internet and no smart phones, so probably much easier to get into something then that might require a degree/credentials now. Honestly, I'd just make up an organization that does mission-style work. Nobody is going to scrutinize it.

Not the Territory and Cdn Writer like this.
  7. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

I think this may be the best course of action.

I'm sending the character to Europe to work-study under a carpenter and cut the volunteer aspect of it.