Always Blaming Bi-Polar?!?!!?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lewdog, Apr 17, 2014.

1. HarleyQ.

HarleyQ. Just a Little Pit Bull (female)

It's like when people would say schizophrenics were all homicidal. WTF. No.

People suck, that's why they blame problems on being bipolar. Another reason is because people are ignorant piles of feces.

2. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

It's true @HarleyQ. The group that is by far more likely to be violent are ordinary males aged 18-25.
    The criteria that make the above group more likely to act violently are things like past history of violence, alcohol and or drug abuse, and presence of command hallucinations/passivity phenomena, such as a person feeling controlled by external force and hearing voices telling them to hurt someone. But actual schizophrenics have a relatively low risk of serious violence. The problem is that the most bizarre crimes, such as cannibalism, mutilation etc, as rare as they are, tend to be committed by people with chronic psychosis (most often schizophrenia) so the misconception in general population gets fuelled by fear and sensationalist reporting.

3. HarleyQ.

HarleyQ. Just a Little Pit Bull (female)

Exactly. I wish the public (generally speaking) would be more informed on what bipolar is actually like, to avoid misunderstandings in the future. Even for things you'd think most would know of, such as depression or anxiety, but even I'm still called crazy for being sad a lot. I wish they'd teach basic psych in high school (most public high schools) so more people could come to a better understanding of mental disorders such as schizophrenia or bipolar.

jazzabel and Hubardo like this.