Am I the youngest person here?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Duchess-Yukine-Suoh, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

@KaTrian: Oh, I see.
    Thank you so much, that's so kind of you!
    My mom tells me that a lot too. (The B-cup thing was from my dad's side.)

@minstrel: That must have sucked. I couldn't imagine leaving my school and town and stuff. (I might be moving next year though.) :(

2. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

Oh, I forgot about the acne, I still have little scars. The nice thing about time is, it's rabidly taking me away from my time as a teenager.

3. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Oh no, that does sound stressful :( One of my biggest fears back then was that we'd move and I'd have to leave my friends. Luckily it didn't happen until I was 16, done with junior high... and those friends.

4. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Wait! I think you misread my post. I said you weren't the only one to find him dreamy. Those bedroom eyes... When I say he looks like anime, I mean it as a compliment. Don't think Dragonball Z, think Ashitaka from Mononoke Hime.

I was spared acne altogether. My cross to bear in childhood was a grill that was a complete and tragic train wreck. We didn't have the money to get them fixed and I did it myself when I was already an adult. Took 4 years under the wire and the removal of all my wisdom teeth and all of my first premolars to get my teeth to fit comfortably.

5. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Bestselling Author|Editor|Writing Coach Contributor

Hey Jess! I ain't seen you in a while ha ha!
    I can say the same though; turning 20 next January is just a strange thought. One year I was a teen, the next a budding adult, and now I'll really be over that hump.
    Yet, being on here often makes me feel pretty young. I try not to surround myself with too many younger people, or else I start feeling old. I'm the oldest child with 4 younger sisters and a step brother. Many of my friends throughout high school were a year or two younger. People always seem to want to look up to me >.< It's both unusual and refreshing being on a forum where people around me have more to offer me than I have for them!

I encourage the OP to cherish your young years and make as many memories as you can. They start slipping sooner than you think! ;)

JessWrite likes this.
  6. Andrae Smith

But as they say, "age is just a number." :rolleyes:

JessWrite likes this.
  7. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Yes, but there comes a time when it's a pretty big number, and the years seem to get shorter and shorter, so the number gets bigger faster and faster, and your joints start aching so you move slower and slower, and you see Mick Jagger on TV singing "Time is on my side" at the age of seventy and you just know even he doesn't believe it anymore, and your cousin who is younger than you is celebrating the birth of a grandchild already ...

Sheesh.

123456789 and Andrae Smith like this.
  8. Andrae Smith

I know you're right about that. With people in the highest generation of my family all getting closer to their ends (sad, I know), and with soooooo many kids popping up, I realized yesterday that I'm hurtling toward a future I never paid much mind to, until now. Already, years are slipping by at an alarming rate.
    I'm lucky to have my great-grandma and her brothers all in their 80s and 90s now. But with my youngest sisters being 2, 4, and 5 playing with an increasing crop of cousins around the same age, I can't help but miss the days when it was just my closest sister (18 now), my cousin (21 0_0), and myself (19) running up and down the street and askin' Grandma for a dolla' for the ice cream truck. Suddenly, what was once the entirety of my life feels so brief, and so long ago.

9. Andrae Smith

Things get really scary when I consider that at least three of my friends from high school are married with at least 1 child! We graduated in 2012!

10. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Wow.
    And if your youngest sister is 2....
    how old are your parents? /shot/

Andrae Smith likes this.
  11. Dragonport

Dragonport New Member

Being a few weeks from 15, I feel at once impatient to grow up, and nostalgia, to be younger and avoid facing so many choices. When I was 13, I thought I'd never be happier than I was then. The only thing that sucked was just...too many feelings.

@Duchess-Yukine-Suoh I had to laugh at "boyfriends." I remember how it was at the time when a few girls in my school dated; mostly via facebook and never lasting more than two weeks. It was more like a parody of love. I still can't fathom dating, aha.

12. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

I know, right? They don't even talk to each other. And when they "break up" a week later, they send someone else to do it. Really??

Andrae Smith likes this.
  13. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I do this, and I'm 24! :D

14. Andrae Smith

My mom and step-dad are 37 and 38 this December. I was the first born, from my mom and dad. Then my oldest sister a year later. Then some years later my mom got with my step-dad who brought his son (who is 3 years younger than me). Then in 2009 Mom and my step dad had a baby girl, and a few years later My dad says he has a little girl too. Then last year my dad had another girl. Thus this confusing explanation leaves
    1. Me (19)
    2. Cherelle (18)
    3. Isaiah (16)
    4. Lexi (4)
    5. London (5)
    6. Laila (1.5)
    I remember laughing at middle school relationships. They just seemed so pointless to me, even though they made up the entire social of the school. I took things a bit more seriously. I was that cool enigmatic guy who was stronger than the rest, smarter than most, handsome too ... and unwaveringly single. That is not to boast, but throughout middle school and high school I was lucky enough to be "that guy" that everybody liked.

I say that with care now that 2 of my schools female English teachers have been fired for sleeping with students.
    Did anybody hear about Laura Whitehurst, from Redlands California, having a baby by a student... weeeeeeell I knew the student and had met her a couple times. I'm glad I didn't really have her class. lol

Don't mind my rambling...

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh likes this.
  15. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Oh. My. God. Haha?? o_O

Andrae Smith likes this.
  16. Andrae Smith

Yeaaaaah... I had the same reaction... So many boys talked about getting with those two teachers; they were young and attractive. But I never thought it would actually happen. Go figure? o_O

17. Dean Stride

Dean Stride Senior Member

Story of my life. Surprisingly, high school was a blast despite my... sigh... condition.

Seriously, if you're young and you have clear skin, make sure you make the most of it, some of us aren't so lucky.

Andrae Smith likes this.
  18. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Or a squirrel. Oh, wait ...

19. KaTrian

I felt the same a few years ago when my junior high friends started popping out kids. Now almost every old friend of mine has a child, but I swear, my brother have to start a family first cos he's 11 years older.
    If I were richer, I'd probably adopt anyway.

Funny how other things fill that slot of embarrassment. If you got no acne, then you got eyeglasses or a flat chest or you're fat or you're too tall etc. Things are rarely perfect as a teenager.

20. Andrae Smith

It makes me wonder, sometimes, if I've fallen behind. But then I remember I have goals and enough little ones running around as it is ha ha! Not to mention I have no money. ;)

And yes, other things do fill that spot. With as cool and well-liked as I was, I was shy and lacked people skills. And once I got a couple years into high school, almost all of my friends were taller than me. And ironically, while my strength impressed people, it made them wary around me because they were under the impression that I'd kill them if their jokes weren't funny...

21. Dean Stride

It's even more hilarious when I rarely see anyone with said "drawbacks", or maybe it's because I don't notice them. Regardless, I would've traded this curse for any one of them and I wouldn't have had a care in the world.

Glasses? There's contacts; Flat chest? Big deal, I'm a guy; I'm fat? I'll exercise; Too tall? You're never too tall, unless you suffer from gigantism. There is nothing quite like this condition that can cripple a young person, or even adults sometimes. The most pathetic part is, no one makes fun of you for that, at least not here in my country, it's your self consciousness that does the crippling.

22. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

I'm going through my second childhood and it is much more fun than the first time round - no inhibitions!

Does that count?

23. KaTrian

Yeah, well, acne can be treated too, but I know, it's a real nuisance. For a girl, being too tall and/or flat-chested can be pretty disastrous. Add eyeglasses (seriously, why were they such a big deal? I started using contacts for the very reason that being bespectacled was considered stupid and lame -- except in senior high they were suddenly cool and sexy). Being fat... exercise doesn't always save ya, human bodies are finicky that way. It's like, when you are a teen, even the smallest things can cripple you, even the most insignificant blunder can destroy your social life. I hated all that pressure, all the keeping-up-apperances crap. It's not nearly as bad now in adulthood.

24. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

For those of you who have to move / go to a new school where you don't know anyone:

It can be a great opportunity to "reinvent" yourself. When I was 13, I went to a new school, knew a couple of guys by name but we never hung out or anything. So I made quite a few new friends and could become someone I wanted to be (or get closer to the ideal anyway) since it's kinda hard to change drastically when there are people around you who know you from childhood. You often end up with what Geoff Thompson calls the crab syndrome: one tries to climb out of a bucket where there are other crabs (i.e. one is trying to develop / change / evolve), but the other crabs pull it back down. I've observed the same among humans, especially teenagers, quite a few times.

Anyway, I got to reinvent myself twice more, once by going to a high school where I knew nobody, and then going to a uni, again without knowing anyone there.

It can be tough if you're really shy like I was as a kid, but if you force yourself to go out there, socialize, and stand your ground against those who try to tread all over you, you'll do fine and make a bunch of new friends. And all the while you take giant leaps closer to being what you want to be. It's not easy,. but it's totally worth it in the end.

Just pay attention to how you change because sometimes you can go overboard. I did when I was 13: I used to be bullied, so when I went to a new school, I became a bully for fear of ending up in the bottom of the social ladder once again, and that same "take no shit"-attitude carried to high school and didn't really abate until uni where I was surrounded by mostly friendly nerds and the only thing you had to worry about were snide remarks and verbal back-stabbing. Compare that to when I was 13-15; it wasn't uncommon for actual fights to break out and a couple of guys got stabbed at school (everyone in my group of friends carried knives although we only used them to intimidate folks... yup, young and endlessly dumb). After going to a school like that for three years, you learn to laugh at and shrug off any insults some insecure mini-adult aims at you after one beer.

As for the discussion about virginity: in my old school (where I went between ages 6-12) it was like "girls, eww," but as soon as I went to that new school at 13 (which was combined with at the time Finland's 3rd least requested high school, i.e. it was a shitty place), it was all about chasing skirt. Granted, very few guys got laid, but those who did where the envy of others because most girls that age don't allow you further than 1st base.
    That being said, there's lots of variety between schools and cities here in Finland: in some places kids don't start mixing and mingling until they're something like 15, in other places it's not unheard of for 12yos to not be virgins anymore, especially among girls who look for older boys to date.

25. Dean Stride

I hear ya. Though I can assure you that most guys don't mind flat chests, as long as you compensate it with a nice rear, and you can always work out for it.

About not being nearly as bad in adulthood, I don't agree. I think it's just more subtle, but I certainly notice the same prejudice amongst adults when it comes to appearances.

Acne can be treated, yes, if you're willing to break the bank and become a human guinea pig. Sometimes the "cures" make it worse. Most topical remedies don't work for the people I know, and a lot of us have to wait for it go away on its own.