Am I the youngest person here?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Duchess-Yukine-Suoh, Sep 6, 2013.

1. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Not in U.S :eek:

Andrae Smith likes this.
  2. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

Nor in the UK! Are you sure you have the correct facts? ;)

3. Dean Stride

Dean Stride Senior Member

Genetically programmed? Source?

Innocence is never fully outgrown, otherwise we'd all be emotionally dead, incapable of adequately relating to each other.

Since when has curiosity been transient? Aside from the ability to reason, on what other fundamental quality does science lie upon? Most people are curious all their lives, but they are especially so when they're young.

What about passion? If you know a person long enough, you might eventually find out their passion. You can't convince me there is someone out there that doesn't have strong feelings for even one thing in their lives. Some might try to hide it, because of fear of embarrassment or failure (etc.), but young people are more keen on exploring their passion without that fear. At least, those are my observations whenever I see non-traditional social programs being conducted, like for example free street theater entertainment or a free pick-up-and-read book stand - organized by young people, because few adults have the desire to even bother.

Why are they doing that, even though they know they're not going to get any profit from their performance, or those books are probably going to get stolen? Because as cliched as it may seem, they believe they can make a change, even if they fail. Because sitting around, thinking you've got the world figured out and it turns out it's a piece of shit doesn't do you any good, so you might as well try and do something about it, and, in the odd luck you actually succeed, you'd be that richer for it.

There are many young people who make a difference, despite the snide wisecracks of disillusioned cynics, all you have to do is look for them.

If you call that "crying about being different" and "teen angst", then I've got nothing more to say to such a person.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i didn't say it is only them... i merely dedicated the poem to them...

5. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

@123456789
    @Thomas Kitchen
    Yeah, actually, I'm not surprised... :p

But seriously. Nowadays more and more of my co-workers and school mates are all about taking the stairs because it's healthier. And it feels like the staircases in shopping centers have become more and more crowded too, or maybe there're just more people there than a few years ago. They think they're so trendy...

6. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

If they really want health by that definition, they should be running up the down escalators and down the up escalators. Now THAT would be trendy! And inconvenient. :p

Andrae Smith likes this.
  7. Garball

Garball Banned Contributor

Nowadays, you can download an escalator app and decide which way to go

8. KaTrian

Pfft, that's like so hipstery, like, are they now starving for attention?

:p

9. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Single-story buildings. That's where it's at these days. Forget stairs entirely - they're so obsolete and old fashioned. Bring on the prairie concept: acres and acres of flatness, big skies, everyone on the same level. Democracy represented in architecture, and a healthy lifestyle to boot! Every hundred meters we'd put in a free-shoes stand, and community bicycles. Even community stationary bicycles, for those who think getting places is too bourgeois.

10. KaTrian

There must a short story somewhere there. A snarky-ass satire.

But aren't there these conveyer belts for humans on flat surfaces as well? Perhaps originally designed for the disabled but now used by the lazy?

11. Cristian

Cristian Member

You sure are young. I'm turning 19 in but a few days.

12. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

I'm sixteen

But I feel like a grumpy old man sometimes. Mainly after a long day at school

I think its stems from my teen cynicism.......

I was thirteen three years ago. Seems not to long ago (because it wasn't) but around that time hanging out with my friends.

We were really lazy kids.

Like we should of been stoners. All we ever did was walk around our neighborhood and talk about what we were going to do.

We are more active nowadays but we do tend to wander a lot........but its a good thing I hangout with interesting people or people who think they are anyway.

Oh yeah!!!

Everyone thought I was older then I actually was when I was thirteen.

I grew a mustache that year.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  13. Arannir

Arannir Active Member

I'm fifteen but I can be very sensible and proper, like a fifty year old. Like on forums.

I've been telling/imagining stories, characters and worlds from a young age. Probably four.

14. Poziga

Poziga Contributor Contributor

I'm twenty, and I can't remember if I have been writing when I was little, I don't think I did.

But all friends remember I've been reading a lot.

15. Morgan Willows

Morgan Willows New Member

I'm 27 but once in a while I legitimately think I'm still 16-17 because I swear that's how old I was last week. It doesn't help that the internet continuously makes me feel old... mostly because I can still remember when the internet wasn't really a thing >.>

16. Michael O

Michael O Member

I'm four-hundred and seven years old...Swear I don't feel day over a hundred and fifty but then again, I don't play racquet ball anymore. Usta-could hit-um and break-um just for the fun of it. Now I just throw tennis balls for my Baby Bella. She's almost seventy and she usta-could chase goats and cows for hours. Seems pretty content just to growl at the critters from a distance with a ball in her mouth. Puffing up, giving them the stare and sounding mean. Reckon we both got memories of good ole days.

Well break time is over but before I go, all you whipper-snappers (That's everyone under one-hundred and twenty): GO DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!

17. tarynalicia

tarynalicia New Member

I am 27 but I get mistaken for a teenager more often than not. I used to hate it but now that I'm edging close and closer to 30 I am thankful that I still look so young.

I am (somewhat) ashamed to admit I still live at home which probably helps the fact that I don't feel completely like an adult. I swear I just graduated from high school and yet (coming up next June 2014) it'll be ten freaking years. Yikes!

18. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

:D

Andrae Smith likes this.
  19. Michael O

Michael O Member

Charlie Sheen said, "Your as young as the girls you feel."

Kinda funny until you take a look at Good-Time Charlie's face. Drugs and alcohol have given him more face wrinkles than a fat man's pair of corduroys. Dude need an industrial-strength steam ironing job on that mug.

20. GingerCoffee

Patience, Brave Little Toaster, patience.

Pheonix likes this.
  21. GingerCoffee

Too late for some of you, but anyone still troubled by this, give the absence of milk a few months tryout to see if it doesn't help. It's not a guarantee but there's some research that suggests hormones in cow's milk can cause or exacerbate acne.

22. Michael O

Michael O Member

Time is relative. When you're 10, one year is 1/10 of your life. Summers last FOR! EVER!
    When you're 20, 1/20...40, 1/40 and so on. The older we get, the faster time flows.

And women getting carded, sometime it's a guy hitting on them and they never recognize the attempt. Maybe it's more like a bunt than a hit. Never know where a well place compliment may lead and a good bunt is always safe.

23. GingerCoffee

I've traveled a lot. Couple years ago I went to South America. It was just as fun and I met the same young people I met when I was younger and wandering the world on my own. But when it was time to turn in, I left my acquaintances at the place with bed bugs and shared bathrooms and went to my still very economical but much nicer room with a view, no less. Age does have its benefits. And I can rent a car. ;)

24. Dean Stride

Dean Stride Senior Member

I'm suspecting there's some truth to this, because I've tried your advice before and it has shown significant results, which does net necessarily prove anything. Although some might argue you need milk for calcium, you can always get it from other dairy products like yogurt and white cheese.

25. GingerCoffee

There are other sources of calcium.

For the record, I am fully grounded in evidence based medicine and not one to tout supplements and the cures they don't want you to know about. Given how many foods are supposed to affect acne that probably don't or only minimally do, I was initially a disbeliever about the milk-acne connection.

But the evidence is there, it's hypothesized to be the effect of the hormones in the milk. I'm not sure about other dairy products, but I'd eliminate them all, wait at least a couple months, and if you see a benefit, you can always reintroduce products one at a time. And there may be evidence on the Net about whether certain processes destroy the hormones. I've never looked into that.

Whey protein precipitating moderate to severe acne flares in 5 teenaged athletes.
    Evidence for acne-promoting effects of milk and other insulinotropic dairy products.
    There are plenty more studies than these.