Americanisms in British English Writing

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by OurJud, Jul 29, 2016.

1. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I use it most days , generally in a sweary road rage rant along the lines of "oh for ****s sake get your toe down you geriatric old **** is a ***ing 60 limit, you know that pedal next to the ****ing brake, push it and the car goes faster , ah **** me" ... its possible I have too much stress and/or caffeine in my life

matwoolf likes this.
  2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

Hey, Moose, have you ever driven to Glasgow?

I can't say much about the London end, but I've driven from Birmingham to Glasgow; once North of the East Lancs Road traffic gets pretty thin; over the border at Gretna and you can go miles without seeing another car. 5 hours without breaking the speed limit. I've done it there and back in the same day, with a day's work in between.

But I agree about how unsuited the UK is to an American-style road trip; several days, off the main highways, hours of steady cruising with only sporadic "services" to break the monotony.

And, apropos "get your toe down"...I've only heard "put your foot down".

3. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I suppose it depends on your definition of 'road trip'. To me, that simply means being out on the road. It doesn't even have to involve driving as far as I'm concerned, although I accept the car element (and probably America) is what most would immediately conjure up on hearing the phrase.

If people don't see my novel as a road trip, then so be it. They can see it as whatever they please.

4. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

I've got a book called 'Broke Round Britain,' although it is not really a book, self-published I think, but looks the same.

In it - this guy just walks around the country, knocks on doors round about 6pm, says,

'I am kind of nice, but have not got any money at all. Would you feed me, and can I sleep somewhere - with my little dog?'

About every sixth house somebody takes pity. He's quite old actually, looks like a casualty on the front cover, hat from Goa and is barefoot. Some nights nobody puts him up, and he sleeps at a bus stop. He makes it all the way round the country. That's one idea - not involving cars. I always wanted to do it in a suit of armour, but sure that has been done as well, probably by the One Show.

5. OurJud

I have this book, also.

A much better read is Journey through Britain by John Hillaby. Quite an old book about a guy doing the Land's End - John O'Groats walk.

6. matwoolf

You have that book or this book. Have we got the same book?

There's always that for option zero - or the sequel: 'Breakdown, Ten Years on The Embankment,' I'm writing it now - though only managed 36 hours, if I recall...

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  7. OurJud

We have the same book. The Broke Through Britain one. Although you called it Broke Round Britain.

8. matwoolf

I don't see how we can have that same book when it only sold four copies. Next you'll say we're cousins. Get your own book.

;

OurJud likes this.
  9. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Is it called "Broke through Britain and written by petter mortimer ? - for some reason the forum keeps turning my amazon url into a media tag which then doesnt display properly

https:// www.amazon.co.uk/Broke-Through-Britain-Penniless-Odyssey/dp/184018163X

matwoolf likes this.
  10. OurJud

No, @big soft moose, that's just a lot of empty white space, with strange spacing in the text.

At lease it is at this end.

11. matwoolf

Might be a bit like that. I probably have an original, white vinyl.

We could maybe - all - y'know - meet up - with our books, somewhere - it would be a conversation-starter, tell the grandchildren

12. OurJud

Allow me to give you a straight answer. I know it can be difficult when mat's around :D

Yes. That's the one.

13. big soft moose

Sorry i don't meet strange men from the internet.... strange women , you betcha bring it on, but dudes arent my thing.. sorry :D

14. matwoolf

Uhuh, well I'm a chick, dickerless, and you missed my gravy boat, big-time, tch.

15. tonguetied

tonguetied Contributor Contributor

I have been misusing sic for a long time apparently, no surprise there, thanks big soft moose. Freeze the balls off a brass monkey is actually referring to stacked cannon balls falling off a metal framework that was a group of brass rings brazed together. When it gets very cold the brass shrinks faster than the iron cannon balls and balls which end up pushing themselves off the brass framework then rolling around the deck. I don't think they used the brass monkey on land since there was no movement as on a ship.

I don't remember the specific wording about the "put your toe down", a common jargon from the 60s and 70s was "put the pedal to the metal", sort of trucker talk but easily moved into all drivers at least here in the southeastern USA.

Road trip obviously has different connotations depending on the situation, here in the USA it can refer to just about any drive to a different destination than the usual even if it is only a half hour or so, but longer is more commonplace, IMO. Also if there are kids or somewhat immature adults someone would shout "shotgun"; first one that says it gets to ride up front in the passenger seat. This obviously comes from the stagecoach days when the driver had to have someone alongside to defend against thieves, marauding Indians, or possibly wolves, etc.

Now please explain some terms to me:

Caravan - seems to be what we call a house trailer or more elegantly prefab(icated) home

governor - I gather this is referencing a person in charge, such as a boss but there seems to be a bit more to it than that

Do you have motorhomes over there? The class-A motorhomes are so large they would not seem to be usable on the general roads but certainly the others might work out.

16. big soft moose

Caravan can either be a "trailer" which is what Brits refer to as a Static (static caravan) , or a smaller version that is towed behind a car which is known either as a caravan or as a touring caravan - people use them to go on holiday etc, in the same way as a motorhome. (I don't know if you have touring caravans in the states) ... caravaners are sometimes derogatorily known as 'shed pullers'

Motorhomes are generally known as camper vans and can range from only the size of a smallish van (VW etc) up to the sort of RV size you have in the states - though i suspect what we refer to as huge are actually among the smaller models stateside

Governor - can be used as slang for boss, or cheif - especially in the police, and is usually shortened to Guv (and applied to those of either inspector or cheif inspector rank - I think roughly like a leiutenant or captain in an american police department) , but can also be used in its full sense for someone who sits on a 'board of governors' for a school - basically a group of people who oversea the actions of the head teacher, and help them run the school.

tonguetied likes this.
  17. OurJud

Pretty much. They're a mobile, temporary abode that fixes to the back on the car so that it can be towed to various destinations.

A cararvan yesterday

[​IMG]

tonguetied likes this.
  18. tonguetied

Okay so Caravan is referencing something much smaller than I was thinking. In the states we have prefabricated homes that are huge trailers fifty feet long or more and can be attached side by side, double wide and even triple wide. They get special tax emptions as long as the wheels remain on the trailer framework and the hitch is also there. In the TV series "Broadchurch" I thought they called the trailer home the lady lived in a Caravan which appeared to be closer to what I call a trailer home.

The governor aspect really fits what I was thinking of watching some British police show series, that is it is more related to the police line of work. Do you simply call your boss at work boss? I know pretty dumb question but just to be sure. Obviously the 'i' before 'e' rule doesn't apply in UK speak, thought cheif was a mistake but you used it twice so no doubt that is correct, "oversea" was a typo I suspect.

Just kidding but over hear living on the dole would mean you eat a lot of pineapple. :)

19. matwoolf

Fuggit

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  20. tonguetied

Somehow I don't think that is the term for your boss, at least not out loud. Someday when you get older and have a few grey hairs you'll appreciate your old bosses that actually knew what they were doing. I am guessing your about 25 based on your picture. :)

21. big soft moose

Thats what brits call a static caravan

[​IMG]

oh and it is chief , i just can't spell worth toffee

As to what you call the boss it depends on the workplace - where i work we are a first name work place, so my boss is David and the Director General is Helen , other places are much more traditional and the boss would be Mr so and so , or Sir (and all sorts of expletives behind his back)

tonguetied likes this.
  22. tonguetied

Okay,

USA -- -- -- -- -- British
    Mobile Home - static caravan
    Travel Trailer - caravan
    Pop up trailer - trailer tent
    recreation vehicle (RV) motor home - camper van
    garden cart (type pulled by riding mower) - trailer
    parking lot - car park
    gravel parking lot - parking lot (I think that was it)
    gas (gasoline) - petrol
    gas pedal - accelerator
    brake pedal - must be decelerator :)
    clutch - ? (probably a ball player that is great when it counts) [and don't try to tell me you only have automatics]

Got to go back to look for RV/Motorhome, wonder what the Brits call a toy hauler?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  23. big soft moose

pop up trailer - trailer tent

rv motor home - camper van

we sometimes call caravans mobile homes , but we don't call them trailers , in the uk this is a trailer

[​IMG]

tonguetied likes this.