1. Mans

Mans Contributor Contributor

Question [Solved] An ask

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Mans, May 2, 2015.

I came back to WF after a while. I saw an advertise on top of the website that made me amazed. It was the pic of a naked woman relative to a web that encourage people for a cheap travel!
    I thought, WF is a worthy site for writers across the world and it is higher than to link such as pics in its first page.
    It made me disturbed and frightened, so I tried to go to another page immediately.
    I think, these pictures are just proper for a small number of people that tend to sex and are addicted to it and it is not valuable for a trusty and known web like WF that is a favorable and popular forum for writers.
    So I ask respectfully , please replace the pics with more proper images.

Thank you

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Those ads are not chosen by the forum admin. And different ads are seen by each individual, usually based on something in your own web surfing history, in this case probably just the fact Google has pinned you as male. I used to get ads for single women looking for men. I went looking for tires online, that made some data-miner program decide I was a male and all the 'women looking for men' ads began to pop up.

3. Mans

Do you mean, the pics are showed just for me in the forum by google? So how do I get ride of them?

4. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Quit looking at pr0n! :supercheeky:

daemon likes this.
  5. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

If the ad in question is the following:

Screen Shot 2015-05-02 at 4.28.13 PM.png

The woman in question in not naked. I realize that there are cultural differences for all of us given that we are, like most writing forums, a forum composed of individuals from the world over, but this woman is wearing a bathing suit. She is not naked.

As Ginger has already pointed out, the advertisements are provided by a separate entity, one which is used by pretty much every forum of which I know. We do not chose the content, and though that content is held to a certain standard, it would be impossible to have that standard meet the needs and sensibilities of every person.

KaTrian likes this.
  6. Mans

I understood, you are right and it is not the choice of admin. Also the woman has wore a very small thing that it sounds, she has not wore anything and it causes a hard disturbance in my mind and a torment in my soul. I say really, I can't tolerate these things. Although, I don't look at those ads but their presence is like a very bad and unpleasant thing for me.
    Is there any alternative that I can delete them?

7. GingerCoffee

You can always pay for a Supporter Membership. It's not much money and you will then have:

KaTrian and Mckk like this.
  8. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

You can always become a Supporter. Members who are Supporters enjoy an ad-free forum environment.

9. GingerCoffee

Beat you by half 'a moment'. ;)

Wreybies likes this.
  10. daemon

daemon Contributor Contributor

Just to get this straight:

@Mans, are you saying the "Fun Vacation" ad in Wreybies' post encourages sex addiction? And it frightens you and torments your soul?

I am not here to debate; I am just trying to decide, on a scale of 1-10, how baffled to be. o_O

Mckk likes this.
  11. Megalith

Megalith Contributor Contributor

I'm pretty sure the ad in question is about the backside of a girl in a bikini. And a bikini doesn't cover much from the backside... There is sand on her butt and she is holding a surfboard.... I think. I'm working from memory, but I remember thinking it was a little risqué. But didn't think too much much about it considering internet ads in general are usually... well lets just say I've seen much worse <.<;

EdiT: Ah, it came up...

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  12. Aled James Taylor

Aled James Taylor Contributor Contributor

This issue is very much dependent on what you're accustomed to. When I was an art student, we'd spend hours looking at naked women, to learn how to draw human anatomy. The class was popular at the beginning of the course, but this popularity soon waned, with most students not bothering to show up because it was so boring. In the class, we even learned to mentally undress the model (and yes, she was naked already). Now when I see pictures of scantily dressed females I think of bone and muscle proportions. Does anyone else think the girl in the photo has narrow hips?

Megalith likes this.
  13. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Maybe our friend needs to cover his back?

Living in an Islamic state and accessing an American 'writer site' is innocuous enough, whereas viewing women in bikinis is unacceptable. At least now he has voiced his objections and can point to the fact.

For him, what was once a reasonably safe activity - to his mind, has become a little more risky, what with all our flesh about the place.

14. Lewdog

You are one cheeky monkey!

15. matwoolf

No, no @Lewdog...I didn't mean it like that. You have to imagine me speaking in a wise and meaningful voice, stroking a beard, or maybe:

'But why, you worm, have you accessed the websites of Satan!' said the prosecutor.

'Oh merciful one, I was merely broadening my cultural interests...'

'Cultural interests? A naked woman on a beach is your...is this your 'cultural interest?'

ALL RISE

'Under circumstances, I find the accused guilty...'

'

Lewdog likes this.
  16. Lewdog

Haha you said RISE.

17. matwoolf

That was the voice of the court clerk, the security heavy...look, I watched the Prestorius trial, I know this stuff.

18. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

I suddenly find myself wanting to travel.

19. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I'm afraid that it's not realistic to demand that advertisements be designed specifically to avoid offending you. The only solution that I see is for you to take action to avoid seeing any ads, such as becoming a Supporter or obtaining one of the available ad blocking tools.

20. Mans

Thank you ChickenFreak but I think the second solution is cheaper :D
    I really didn't know these advertisements are from Google and also didn't know I can prevent them by block ad tools.

Thank you :)

21. Mans

Respectfull @matwoolf, but was that an offense? While I just asked a question? And while I thought about you as a mentor?

22. matwoolf

No Mans, it wasn't a slight or a slur. I was suggesting you were vulnerable to exploitation

- but in hindsight it does seem kind of ridiculous. My imagination placed the morality police at your doorstep.

I might try again to explain myself through the device of metaphor. Below is an example of the advertising on my own page:

[​IMG]

'I knew it, you bastard, you're screwing that mouse,' said Mat's wife.

'No, my darling, it is the writer forum, my intellectual pursuit.'

'I'll see you in court,' she said and ripped the shirt from Mat's slim, smooth, his white back.

In court room thirteen Mat provided the jury with a selection of his creative writing pieces as defensive evidence. However, at this point prosecutor Frank Ass rose his full height, clutched a sheaf of picture evidence, each individual photograph marked thus:

1. Russian Bride UK
    2. Holidays with semi-clad young people.
    3. Cruise holidays

'I put it to you, that your sole intention was elopement with a naked, Russian mouse aboard a vessel bound for the Northern Light show in Scandinavian waters etcetera...' fizzzzz

Last edited: May 3, 2015